Cervelo P2K 2002 Triathlon Bike

4.89/5 (9 Reviews)

Submitted by KithKhan a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2005

Strengths:    Proven aerodynamic advantage and extreme stiffness for perfect power transfer, especially when combined with Shimano's new crankset design.
Very nice welds and construction.
High value.

Weaknesses:    Slow, heavy handling. This may be in part because of the short chainstays, the rake of the fork, or the fact that this frame is a wee bit too big for me and my weight is consequently shifted a little farther back than it is designed for. Or all three. Anyway, it's a tri/tt bike, not a road/crit bike, so no biggie. Also, sometimes it's nice to have slow handling when you're in aero position.
The stiffness that is so great for power transfer and efficiency also makes it feel a little mean on rough roads. Much meaner than a steel road bike, for example.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up on my previous review.
1) A friend and I have at this point proven the aerodynamic advantage of this bike to ourselves. He rides the same 16 mile loope 4 days a week at lunch, with not a lot of variation in weather conditions. His best average pace on a conventional cannondale road setup was 20.2 mph. On the first day he rode my bike, without using the aerobars, he rode 21.9 mph, and on the second day 22.3 mph. Given, his bike is a little heavier, and my wheels have fewer spokes, but this was a flat course and we both attribute the bulk of the time gains to aerodynamics and stiffness in the chainstays and bb.
2) The bolt at the top of the seatpost snapped for no apparent reason. It was very brittle- I wasn't overtightening or anything. My LBS mangled the whole piece trying to remove the broken off bit, and this was my excuse to upgrade to the carbon seatpost. It's definately lighter than the alloy version, and looks cooler but I don't notice any real difference in ride quality.
3) Retraction: I didn't know the extent of crosswind handling problems until I put on the HED3's. The frame's sideways drag is minor in comparison to the wheel's.

Favorite Ride:   Bandolier Loop, NM

Purchased At:   Ordered online

Similar Products Used:   Steel Scattante Road Bike with full ultegra and same wheelset (Shimano R-540 16-spoke)
Giant OCR3 with a huge mix of components and Velocity Sparticus wheels
Test rides on a few friend's bikes.

Bike Setup:   Ultegra\DA 9speed mix with the 7800 cranks
Shimano R540 wheelset (16-spoke deepish rims) for training, Specialized (now HED) trispokes for racing.
Selle Italia SLR saddle
Visiontech Aerobars
A funky handmade gearing that let's me attack on the downhills. No-one in their right mind attacks on the downhills!!!! ;P

Submitted by KithKhan a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2004

Strengths:    1) Aerodynamics; It's the most aerodynamically designed bike for the money, and you can feel it when you get it up to high speeds. The bike feels invisible to the wind and the only thing left to fix is your body position. And catching other cyclists on the downhills is cake.
2) Stiffness; There is NO bottom bracket flex. I switched to the new 10 speed DA cranks recently, and no matter how much you try... nothing. It's great.
3) Looks! ;)
4) Value.

Weaknesses:    1) HANDLING. Given, this bike was designed for straight, flat lines, but it has a really hard time cornering, staying stable, getting caught in crosswinds ect... Compared to a traditional steel road bike, the cervelo is about 2/3rds as manueverable, twice as hard to ride rollers on, no letting go of the handlebars ever...
2) Comfort; it's probably better than most aluminum bikes (I don't know) but obviously is nasty on the seat and hands compared to my relatively plush steel road bike. Of course, this bike is a no-nonsense speed-demon. I wasn't expecting much comfort. I'm going to upgrade to the carbon seatpost this Christmas though, that's for sure.

Bottom Line:
I have between one and two thousand miles on the bike at this point and am still loving it. Every time I get on this bike I feel like I need to be going full throttle. It's SOO fast, sleek, wicked, and stylish. My only real complaint is handling.

Favorite Ride:   The Bandolier Loop

Purchased At:   Some LBS on the othe

Bike Setup:   Ultegra\DA 9speed mix with the 7800 cranks
Shimano R540 wheelset (16-spoke deepish rims)
Selle Italia SLR saddle
Visiontech Aerobars

Submitted by Jeff a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2003

Strengths:    Light, stiff, very responsive.

Bottom Line:
I really enjoy riding this bike. It is very stiff and fast. I am using this for Olympic distance triathlons. The guys at Transition Sports are very knowledgable. The fitting was key. The fit is very important and makes a very big difference in the level of comfort of the ride. My last bike was too small and really hurt my back and neck. I look forward to many miles on this bike in the upcoming years.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Cateye Astrale
Cane Creek Headset

Submitted by mblomgren a Triathlete from Salt Lake City, UT

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2003

Strengths:    Aerodynamics - this is a slippery bike.
Well made - high quality materials used and high quality workmanship throughout (except paint job).
Sweet looking - it has speed written all over it.

Weaknesses:    Paint scratchs easily. Paint job looks nice, but after 6 months my Cervello has about the same number of scratches as my 17 year old Biemezzetta.

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome bike. I have it decked out with Campy's Chorus groupo (including Ergo Brain computer) and Campy Eurus wheels. Going from an old chrom-moly Italian bike (Biemezzetta), I was worried this aluminum frame might yield a harsh ride. I was pleasantly surprised that the ride is firm and responsive, but not harsh at all. The carbon Cervello fork and a good saddle seem to damp any over-the-top road vibration. I've taken it on about five rides of over 75-miles and find it very comfortable. Nearly all my regular rides include some substantial hill climbing (1500' - 3000'). Perhaps the geometry of this bike is not the best suited for hill climbing, and thus it took some time to get use the difference from my old standard Italian frame. This bike is not set up to spend substantial time climbing out of the saddle. But if you can learn to stay put in your seat, stay aero on the bars (even on the uphills), and spin spin spin, you'll probably arrive at the top of the hill ahead of the rest of 'em...

Favorite Ride:   Emmigration canyon - heading east out of SLC

Purchased At:   Excel Sports

Similar Products Used:   1986 Biemezzetta set up for time-trialing and triathlons.

Bike Setup:   Campagnolo Chorus Ergopower Groupo
Deda bar extensions
Time pedals

Submitted by swimbikerunjump a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2002

Strengths:    Position/comfort, speed, reliability, pure beauty.

Weaknesses:    Needed several minor adjustments during the first few months. (cabels, entry of cabel to frame, shifting). Works great now.

Bottom Line:
I know very little about bike set up, specs or specifics about a bike. I dont really want to. All I need to know is this bike is great! I pull great times and have been winning with it. What more do I need to know. It is very comfortable and I spend about 99% of the time in the aero position (I hit the run feeling good). Recommend real road handling skills before racing a bike of this quality - stability is not #1. I tried the P3 but prefered the P2K. (I could afford either) This bike is worth every penny!

Favorite Ride:   Peterborough Tri

Purchased At:   Free Wheel Cycle - D

Similar Products Used:   Used to ride older touring bike to race. Tried a few including the P3.

Bike Setup:   Ultegra, stock.

Cervelo P2k seat post part

Hello. I managed to strip the triangular aluminum nut thing (don't know what it is called) that sits inside the seat post on my Cervelo P2k tri bike. I have tried to find one on Google and ebay with no luck. Does anyone know where I can find one? What it is called? thanksRead More »

Cervelo P2K DEAL

[url]http://www.insideoutsports.com/product.aspx?storeid=&eventid=0&sku=105554[/url] Saw this posted over on Slowtwitch... 2004 P2K's on sale for $600 -- get them while they're hot... Looking through the site, they also have the Cervelo One on sale for $500. Crazy!! Ordered the P2K, no ... Read More »

Trek Equinox 9 vs Cervelo p2k

The older Trek equinox' before 2005 were a piece of crap. Anybody have an '05 or '06. What do you think. Is it a better bike than the Cervelo p2k. Or is it just worth it to spend the extra money and get a p3sl?Read More »

P2k vs Kg 196 Monoblade

I was thinking about getting a Cervelo P2k, but another option has come by my desk. I have a chance to get a Look KG196 Monoblade, although vintage about 91', and a little hefty, it does appear to be quite aero. Does anybody have any info on the Look kg196 monoblade?Read More »