Softride Inc. Qualifier TT 2002 Triathlon Bike

Submitted by TexanTexan a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2004

Strengths:    Shock and vibration absorption, aerodynamic, incredibly adjustable, superior cornering, and very cool looks. Shock and vibration absorption, aerodynamic, incredibly adjustable, superior cornering, and very cool looks.

Weaknesses:    Arrogant roadies don't like them. If you get one of these, you'll have to endure negative comments from people about how they "bounce" and, "Oh, you're losing so much power!" But they are so wrong and they are only repeating trite cliches.

Bottom Line:
Softride is amazing technology. Period. Once you ride a Softie, you’ll never go back to a stiff seat post up your a**. The biggest hurdle to getting one of these bikes is the question, “Will I like it?” Test ride one. You’ll see! They are like riding on a sofa they are so soft. I can sit in the saddle all day (literally) and never get sore. The most amazing sensation is riding over bumps the first few times. You do not feel the smaller bumps at all. The suspended seat post absorbs 95% of the vibrations and small impacts. You do still however feel the bumps in your contact points, like hands and feet, so you still have the “road feel.” But the quad-draining vibrations do not make it up your legs. This is crucial for long-course triathlons. Next time you ride behind someone in a pace line, watch his or her butt fat. It jiggles just a bit when s/he hit bumps. Then follow someone on a softie – there is no jiggle of the butt. Why? The vibes don’t go that far! I bought this bike for the express purpose of riding Ironman Wisconsin (wish me luck) and can tell from training rides that my legs are so much fresher off this frame. With a stiff frame – I don’t care if it is aluminum, carbon, or titanium – the vibrations end up in your hips, quads, and lower back. But with suspension technology, your legs are saved from the run-killing bumps and shakes. Also, this frame has amazing torsional stiffness. You’d think that without a seat post you’d lose some torsion. But actually the 2004 Qualifier has a small rear triangle. Look at the pics and think about it: If you exert torsion force on a large triangle on a normal frame, you’ll get some flex and give because of the length of the seat post and seat stays. But with a very short vertical tube, no seat stay and double chain stays in the rear triangle, there is no way your legs can generate enough torsion force to get such a short “virtual” seat post to twist or flex. This small rear triangle really transfers power to the rear cog. I have no question that 100% of my leg juice makes it from the cranks, through the chain, and into the rear cog – and none of it is sucked up by the frame. One thing you will have to be prepared for is comments from other riders: Roadies hate these bikes. Why? I don’t know. Maybe because they are comfortable and corner like a Ferrari on rails. I don’t know, but the people I ride with make fun of my “bouncy bike”. And speaking of bouncing: No, you don’t. Absolute myth perpetrated by bike stores who don’t want you to buy Softies. If you pedal complete squares and just mash up and down, then yes, you’ll have a little vertical sway to your seat post. But guess what? You will stop pedaling like that immediately. Your body with naturally adjust and will learn to pedal nice, elliptical circles. I’m not spin freak, but my stroke rounded out in less than 1 mile. No kidding, it was immediate. As was explained to me by a Softride fan: This frame acts as a pedal coach. If you bounce because you are tired and you are losing form, your body will feel the movement and instinctively round out the stroke. It is a subconscious adjustment - when you pedal correctly there is no bounce. Try this one, too: Ride behind a Softie and see how much they “bounce.” The rider does not bounce! I am happier than I ever thought I’d be after 1,000 miles on this bike. To all those arrogant roadies who smirk at my Softride: After we ride 40K, let’s run a 10K and see whose wins. I’ll put my money of the Softrider every time.

Favorite Ride:   Anything with hills and curves

Purchased At:   TriSports.com

Similar Products Used:   Quintana Roo Typhoon

Bike Setup:   Softride Qualifier (2004) frame; Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL; Reynolds Ouzo Aero Pro fork; FSA carbon crank & Shimano DA mix; VistionTech TT bar.

Submitted by bkoconn a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2003

Strengths:    Very fast frameset, good component mix rolls nice, handles well.

Weaknesses:    Tricky getting position set up. Had some issue with Profile aero bars - the way they stick out behind base bar

Bottom Line:
Fast ride! First race with this (moving from a well tri-converted road bike) set a PR in bike and had the fastest run leg in a triathlon! Beat previous best bike leg ave MPH on same course by 2.5 MPH!!! Doesn't beat up on you and handles well in a variety of conditions. Great VALUE!

Similar Products Used:   Converted Italian Road bike, profile areo bar set up w/shifters

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock excpt new seat. Moved stock seat to road bike swapped it for Selle San Marco Triathgel (great saddle)

Submitted by mprevsot a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2002

Strengths:    Comfort and endless adjustability. You can make it fit!

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I have owned titanium and aluminum bikes with high end specs. No comparison. The Softride is by far the most comfortable ride I have ever had. I am faster on my Softride because I can get in a more aero position with comfort. I instantly gained 1-2 mph over any distances over 30 miles. I have ridden 90-100 miles with no saddle soreness at all, none! I hadn't thought this was possible. I couldn't imagine going back to a regular bike! I am both faster and more comfortable. Can't beat that. At this price this bike is a steal!

Favorite Ride:   Yaqui Pass

Purchased At:   Dragon Sports, Pensa

Similar Products Used:   Nothing comes close.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Syntace C2 bars and Rolf Vector Comp wheels.

Submitted by lverma a Triathlete from Columbia, MD

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2002

Strengths:    Comfort, aerodynamic

Weaknesses:    On the heavy side, tad pricey. Beam takes some getting use to and i feel i dont have the leverage that i get on a seatpost.

Bottom Line:
You have to ride one to see what you are missing. Supremely comfortable. Infinitely adjustable. Aerodynamic.
I got this when i injured my back and didnt think i could sit on a bike again. Softride was a blessing. THough it was a gimmik but after using one for 4 years im gonna try to go back to reg bike now that my back is stronger. But ill keep my softride in the closet just in case.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere