Schwinn Cruiser SS 2003 Cruiser Bike

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by ashfayefloyd a Commuter

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2006

Strengths:    Good looks. Comfy seat. Comfy in general.

Weaknesses:    Heavy weight, poor maneuverablity, slow due to weight.

Bottom Line:
Bought the Cruiser (a 99 model, I believe)b/c I loved how it looked. However, I had to air the tires up every time I rode, and this problem got worse once I put baskets on the back. Heavy, heavy bike! I used this bike for a couple of years for riding around town and riding to class, running errands, etc. It just became too much of a pain dealing with the tires all the time. Also, not very fast or maneuverable in city traffic. It felt clumsy. I bought a hybrid for these purposes and it suits me fine.

Favorite Ride:   Specialized Hybrid/Benotto road

Purchased At:   Schwinn store, Memph

Similar Products Used:   Love the idea of a comfort bike for tooling around town, but will stick with my hybrid.

Bike Setup:   On the Cruiser? Stock, with rear baskets added.

Submitted by hosehead a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2003

Strengths:    It's black on black on black. Oh yeah!

Weaknesses:    Rather primitive crankset and bottom bracket (kept loosening up during the first 100 miles or so.) Cheesy fake rivets on back of seat pop out very easily.

Bottom Line:
Nice ride, worth the $$$. Not much else to say. I don't regret buyibg it at all.

Purchased At:   Orange Cycle, Orland

Similar Products Used:   Giant Simple(superb machine) Torker T-wing (junk bike from a junk company)

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Tom Ligon a Recreational Rider from Manassas, VA USA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2003

Strengths:    The Schwinn cruisers are the absolute best-handling bikes ever invented. They ride like nothing else ... pure bliss.

Weaknesses:    The cranks are rather un-refined, especially compared to the Campy running gear on my Paramount. Heavy? Yeah, but weightlifters don't use carbon fiber weights, either.

Bottom Line:
My singlespeed cantilever Schwinn is actually one of the old Chicago-builts, which the modern Cruiser SS imitates, 32 years old and going strong. It was converted early on to a MTB, and has handled all the abuse I've thrown at it. Now it is my main ride, commuting, trails, and road. It has done 7 rides of 100 miles or more, the longest day being 152 miles. This is no beach cruiser ... these things are seriously capable bikes. I've adored mine for decades.

Favorite Ride:   Schwinn Singlespeed Cruiser

Purchased At:   Agees Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Mk IV Jaguar, various lesser-quality cruisers of other makes.

Bike Setup:   Straight bars, custom ruggedized wheels, front caliper brakes, rear V brakes (on adapter), Brooks B-73 saddle, lights, computer, fenders.

Submitted by Ed Sornsen a Road Racer from Warsaw,Indiana USA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2003

Strengths:    Durability,style,versatility,comfort,easy to operate.

Weaknesses:    heavy

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike I think early in 2000.I also had them add fenders and rear baskets.It sure looks cool and Ive gotten compliments about it.Also the shop has stood behind the product with great integrity.I am heavy and popped rear spokes so they rebuilt the wheel under warranty using a new hub and 12 gauge spokes and it has never had a spoke pop since.They also servicd the bottom bracket under warranty.This is a single speed and a good all purpose bike for cruising,exercize,shopping.emergency vehicle,commutting,etc.It has a wide cushy seat.It is great for vacations ,doing a bike hike century and light trails.

Favorite Ride:   varies

Purchased At:   Licolnway Schwinn

Similar Products Used:   schwinn twin tandem,trek cruiser classic

Bike Setup:   single speed,coaster brake,fenders,baskets in rear,cateye blinker front light,Bell blinke tail light,2" knobby tread tires

Submitted by PINGGIRL a Commuter from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2003

Strengths:    Solid construction and predictable maneuverability give the rider confidence through tricky city terrain. This is single gear, coaster brake but I've taken this gem up into the mountainside communities in Phoenix with no problems at all. I can make a quick transition from pavement, to gravel, to grass and off the curb with minimal effort, whether I'm hotdoggin it through the neighborhood or have to quick think through an emergency situation with traffic or pedestrians

Weaknesses:    It's a tad heavy if I'm carrying it up long flights of stairs, but it's balance is faultless. Grab it anywhere and it still doesn't tip.

Bottom Line:
I'm in pretty good shape having walked several miles a day for nearly three years. I hadn't been on a bike for 35 years. My first ride on my Schwinn was just like...riding a bike! It's my new addiction. I'm the new volunteer errand runner...any excuse to get back on "Blue Streak". The configuration makes for comfortable posture for the rider. I just don't get tired.

Favorite Ride:   Schwinn Cruiser SS

Purchased At:   Private purchase. Or

Similar Products Used:   Same style bike as a kid, I think I ride this one rougher now than when I was little.

Bike Setup:   This is the SS Cruiser circa 1955. The actual year of manufacture is 1999 or 2000 but I purchased it essentially no-miles.

newsboy / cruiser / 29 / ss - find me some?

Help me. I love this style. Who all makes 'em? I like bare metal / stainless / chrome. [img]http://www.bikelab.co.uk/images/lab/DSC00284.JPG[/img] this Merlin is nice but too much $ for me [img]http://spokesandbeans.files.wordpress.com/2006/12/early-newsboy.jpg?w=450[/img] Cook Bro's [i ... Read More »