Cannondale Adventure 400S 2003 Hybrid Bike

3.5/5 (4 Reviews)

Submitted by handy1 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2003

Strengths:    Nice overall quality. Suspension works great.

Weaknesses:    Major problem - and I mean major - the dealer could not keep the rear brakes from squealing - in shop numerous times - new pads - adjustments - the problem is that the rims are anodized black and as it wears off it creates foreign material under the pads. Cannondale does not have a acceptable remedy. Also the shifter is too hard to operate.

Bottom Line:
Bought bike new Aug 02. Fairly new to bike riding. wanted something comfortable for occasional rural rides with wife. Turned out I liked road riding alot.

Favorite Ride:   Hilly Hundred

Purchased At:   Bicycle Garage Indy

Submitted by Carbonated a Recreational Rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2003

Strengths:    Comfort, versatility, quality of frame.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy, components are just ok.

Bottom Line:
This is actually a bike I bought for my wife. She loves the bike. I bought it with the idea in mind that I could get her into biking. I bike a lot, but she has been reluctant to go with me. I wanted to get something versatile, reasonably quick, and comfortable. This was a good choice. She loves the riding position and it's fast enough that when we do road rides I ride my mountain bike and things even out. It's not a bike for someone more hard core, but it's perfect for her.

Favorite Ride:   Anything including Elf Hill in Amherst

Purchased At:   Back Bay Bicycles in

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hybrid

Bike Setup:   Factory w/ just the seat changed.

Submitted by Travis a Commuter

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2003

Strengths:    Very smooth ride, the shifting is smooth also. Can haul a lot of weight. Good mule.

Weaknesses:    Saddle is awful (hurt my testicles and weighs about 3 lbs.)easily replaced though, bike is slow and very heavy when weighted down with rack, fenders, and paniers. Good for an older person or for someone who isn't concerned about speed.

Bottom Line:
I have a bad back so I went with this hyrid. Initially I thought it's slowness was just me not used to a new bike, but this is just a slow bike. Slower than my junkie Giant MTB with smooth tires. I think it has something to do with the geometry (I bought a jumbo and I'm 6'3') If you don't want speed, it's a good deal for the money.

Favorite Ride:   Adventure 400

Bike Setup:   I have a rack, fenders, and ride with paniers.

Submitted by Max a Recreational Rider from Bloomington, MN

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2003

Strengths:    Comfort, control, stability.

Weaknesses:    Seat is perhaps too bouncy. I might be able to adjust the tension, but I haven't tried yet.

Bottom Line:
I am an amateur biker, so I can't intelligently discuss why I love this bike, but I do! I was looking for a quality hybrid for under $500. I looked at the Trek 7300, Giant Cypress, and Specialized Crossroads. I was about to buy the Trek 7300 when I decided to go slightly outside the $500 limit I had set for myself and test ride the Cannondale 400s. The Cannondale just felt better than the others. It's comfortable, solid and it seems like I can get good speed on it (although I really don't have a frame of reference).

Favorite Ride:   Paved trail along Minnehaha and Minneapolis lakes

Purchased At:   Erik's Bike Shop, Bu

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Factory.