Gary Fisher Fast City 2003 Hybrid Bike

Submitted by Camilo a Commuter

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2003

Strengths:    Performance, speed, lightness.

Weaknesses:    breaks are not of the same overall quality of the bike.

Bottom Line:
Amazing bike! It rides smooth and really, really fast..and comfy too. I normally listen to audio books while commuting and feel incredibly comfortable riding this gorgeous bike.

Favorite Ride:   commute

Purchased At:   e-bay

Bike Setup:   stock plus GF bike computer, niterider lights, trek trunk and panniers. Spoke front tire in winter

Submitted by gypsykorea a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2003

Strengths:    Very fast for a bike that is equipped to handle off road use. Rode 32 miles my first day on in slightly hilly areas. both on gravel&dirt and road. Handled both marvelously.

Weaknesses:    Get rid of the seat. It is hard and has seams in it which I think I partially was seated on. you cannot get down into a good crouch for downhill drives or uphill for that matter. Both are easy fixers so I did not reduce point value. In fact my bike shop gave me a new seat. I also plan on purchasing aero bars.

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the 2004 Gary Fisher Dual Sport 229. There was no spot I could identify to add a review for my bike. I was told though that this bike is very similar. Bike is tough but ready for street usage. While I would say it is geared more for urban street riding than country mileage. I wanted a bike that would handle rocky dirt roads but be a nice pavement cruiser. I definitely got my moneys worth but will make a few slight modifactions to suit my riding style and needs.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere I want to go

Purchased At:   M&M bicycles Sierra

Similar Products Used:   Trek 1100 Road Bike

Bike Setup:   Stock but also purchased a road wheel set with crank that I havent tested out yet.

Submitted by Jeff a Commuter from Westminster, Colorado

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2003

Strengths:    good balance of comfort and speed

Weaknesses:    not cheap at $999
stock Bontrager (< $10) tires are a little lame for this priced bike, but hey, it is easy to replace tires.

Bottom Line:
I test rode several other hybrids and road bikes.

I found out that I don't like road bikes--they feel too frail, provide no insulation from road shock, I don't like the shifting, and I felt like I would fly over the handlebars if I ever had to panic stop. I don't know how Lance rode his road bike so many miles in France...

I wanted a bike that is fast enough to keep up with road bikes but comfortable enough to commute to work.

The Fast City is pretty fast and yet still has front shocks to absorb bumps on the road. I put skinnier tires on it (700x28) and it rolls even faster. I also put on a bigger and more comfortable seat.

After a month's riding, the chain started slipping in the lowest gears, but a quick tuneup at the shop today fixed that.

Overall, I'm very happy with it. I look forward to my commute to work. Next week I'm taking it on a two day bike trip in the mountains. If I have any problems, I'll write another review!

Purchased At:   Wheat Ridge Cyclery

Bike Setup:   stock except new 700x28 tires and a more comfortable seat

Submitted by TekBuf a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight. Frame/suspension system. Comfortable. Tires are perfect compromise for my riding style. Great components. Doesn't feel wimpy. Pedals. I want to ride it everywhere.

Weaknesses:    Brake levels. Initially the seat (with padded shorts). I resorted to two pair of padded shorts now I am down to one. Not really a weakness, just an adjustment and adaptation.

Bottom Line:
I love this bicycle. It is fast, light, and comfortable. I live in north east illinois. Lots of flat, limestone trails. I bought the bike last October and only got a little bit of riding in before winter. I have been riding a lot since early May and am now up to 75-100 miles per week. I can't seem to stay off this bike. Everytime I go out to the garage I want to get on and ride, even if its just around the block. It excels on the street and in traffic, it is incredible on screened limestone trails. I ride the I&M Canal trail, the Heritage trail and the Centennial trail often. The front suspension/frame system is perfect. Firm, not soft. Yesterday, I wound up on an "unauthorized" forest preserve trail. No maintenance at all. It was ugly. Gravel spots, mud spots, fallen trees, foliage hanging into the path, etc. I decided to push my GFFC through it. About 2 miles. My GFFC came through with flying colors. It was nimble enough to dodge obstacles, did not beat me to death on the holes I could not dodge, and handled the gravel spots fairly well. My feet did not touch the ground once. I had an alternative but I took the same path back. Great components, though I agree with the other reviewers about the brake levers. They are cheap. But I have not changed them yet. Great tires, I love the handle bars and bar ends. This is my first bike with clipless pedals. I love them. I do keep the "flat" pedal attachment on one side for quick trips without cleats.

Favorite Ride:   I&M Canal Trail

Similar Products Used:   I had an old Trek touring bike years ago. It was stolen. I loved it, but it does not compare to this puppy.

Bike Setup:   Stock. I have a 21" frame. I love my large frame with large wheels. Topeak QR rack with bag. Vistalite's front and back.

Submitted by NottheOne a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2003

Strengths:    Limited flexing when accelerating. Excellent riding position for hard riding. Good shimano groupset. Easy to ride at a good pace even in headwinds. Excellent on roads, paths and light gravel.

Weaknesses:    Uncomfortable saddle unless padded shorts are used. Brake leavers are a bit cheap'n'nasty. Could use thinner tyres. Cost - Bikes prices in Finland are a rip off.

Bottom Line:
Finland is flat and we have excellent bike roads/paths. My hardtail MTB is pointless for road use. Decided on a hybrid as I tend to commute (30Km roundtrip) and dayride (50-100Km) and MTB is just toooo slow. After trying Trek, Nishiki and other Gary Fisher. Settled on this one. Many hybrids felt too boring (read sit up too straight, no power throughput and limited responsiveness) but this bike is excellent. Reasonably light and fast with good components, its more of a sports/trainer than an all purpose hybrid.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere

Purchased At:   Bike City - Finland

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Utopia - center of gravity felt too far forward wherever I placed the saddle/handlebars with same framesize. Tried next size up, but the bike was far to big for me.
Trek 7500FX/7700FX - n

Bike Setup:   Standard shimano Deore XT, SRAM setup for now - will probably replace the saddle and brake levers at a later date.