Gary Fisher Zebrano 2003 Hybrid Bike

4.13/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by cleverendeavor a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2008

Strengths:    Geometry, Wheels, Cheap price, Decent Components

Weaknesses:    Heavy, but what do you expect from a bike that comes with a kickstand?

Bottom Line:
Disclaimer: I'm a part-time mechanic and avid bike builder who purchased this bike for a friend and only rode it around a few miles. Now on to the good stuff:

"richard" must be drinking bleach, because if he didn't like the paint job, he shouldn't have bought the bike! And 3 out of 5 stars simply because it looks bad??? Apparently aesthetic appeal is 40% of what's important in a bike to richard. Obviously he doesn't ride much.

"stevenq" is also drinking bleach. If you're having chain suck, it's not the bike's fault...it's the guy who assembled the bike's fault! They're called limit screws, and they prevent your derailleur from dumping your chain. Also, if you learn how to downshift properly and keep your bike tuned up, you won't get chain suck ever again.

That being said, this bike is an excellent machine for the price I paid ( it was used/near-new.) It's a bit on the heavy side, but everything seems durable and the geometry is more than comfortable. The fact that I can put cyclocross tires on it and ride it on fire roads makes it a sweet commuting machine, and I could break it in half and be out less money than what I paid for my Rocky Mountain's wheelset. It's almost like a heavy, hybrid 29er. Sweet.

To anyone who has squeaky brakes, bad shifting, etc...do a quick search on google. Most of those problems can be fixed easily without having to take it into a shop!

Favorite Ride:   Rocky Mountain Solo ST50

Purchased At:   Private Seller

Similar Products Used:   Trek hybrid, Giant hybrid

Bike Setup:   Stock except suspension seat post and couch-style saddle

Submitted by richard a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2008

Strengths:    It does everything it is supposed to.

Weaknesses:    Paint design

Bottom Line:
I like this bike but it is ugly. The weight, speed, shifters, upright position, ability to handle rough roads are all great. The paint design reminds me of Kmart or 70's disco. The pedals are inferior.

Favorite Ride:   country roads

Purchased At:   River city cycle

Similar Products Used:   Trek

Bike Setup:   All fine and adequate for the price

Submitted by Nick a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2007

Strengths:    Very strong wheels, only need to get adjusted once a year. Very light. Quality components. A true performance hybrid. 4000km on it so far, and only had 2 hard accidents, the bike survived with no scratch. First a collision with a vehicle, then a door. Didn't even need to adjust anything afterwards. Only 4 hours at emergency with a couple of broken fingers.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness I found was the shift from 2X2 and 2X3 or 2X3 and 2X4. The chain drops, or skips the gear. had to get it adjusted at my LBS.

Bottom Line:
Got the 2007 Gary Fisher Zebrano as a gift.
First month was rough, but later on, when the bike was warmed up, I was only using it, over my other bikes. Tektro V-brakes (Malaysian), the Alivio rear and front 102 derailleurs (also Malaysian) fit the bike great. 24 speed give it the touch, the thing that lifts it higher than other bikes. The Bontrager Camino rims are very strong, I only adjusted them once after a year of jumping from sidewalks.

Favorite Ride:   Gary Fisher Zebrano 2007

Purchased At:   Gift

Similar Products Used:   None

Submitted by stevenq a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2006

Strengths:    I like the smooth ride, gear ratios allow me to climb steep mountains, or glide down long declines, fairly lightweight alum frame.

Weaknesses:    Chain suck, squishy brakes

Bottom Line:
I have the 2006 Zebrano and I suffered from serious chain suck as soon as I started riding it. After only 3 weeks and roughly 20 miles I suffered from serious chain suck roughly half a dozen times. Twice I took it into the shop because I could not undo the chain. The tech took a look at the crank and found a bunch of bent teeth and filed down several burs. I didn't trust the bike after this, even though he "fixed" it and I got a replacement.

I like this bike very much. The ride is very smooth, and comfortable. I find the creature comforts such as upright handlebars, and full suspension to be delightful on longer bike trips. Since my tires are the knobby type, I can go off roading in places like Mount Tam and won't have to worry as much for traction or getting a flat tire. I am curious as to how well the road treads perform on pavement however.

I also like the Shimano index shifters. They are easy to read, and engage/disengage. The brakes are a different story. The fronts were much too squishy. They have been replaced with Shimano XT's. Big difference. I can stop much faster now, although I prefer to be able to stop on a dime.

Because of the chain suck issues, I would not recommend this bike to a friend.

Favorite Ride:   Honda Civic