Marin Mountain Bikes Muirwoods 2003 Hybrid Bike

4.47/5 (17 Reviews)

Submitted by I V a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2011

Strengths:    Versatile and comfortable

Weaknesses:    Nothing that can't be applied to other bikes: get pedals that work for you and know some bike maintenance

Bottom Line:
This was my first 'real' bike (after the two I had as a little kid). I wanted a solid all around bike that I could use on a multitude of terrains and not have to really compromise anything. Maybe as a beginning rider this was sort of naive of me to want an all in one bike, but I don't really care because thats what I got in this bike. It handles well and is comfortable and is perfect for someone like me who switches between road and sidewalk use and occasional trails. It's an awesome bicycle. Mine came with regular pedals which I traded out for ones with toe clips which really make a difference. Also, at first I had minor problems with it (like a noisy chain and weak breaks) but after becoming accustomed to basic bicycle maintenance I was able to diagnose these myself within half an hour. Also, I find it worthy to mention that I bought this bike used, even if only for short time (according to the dealer, about
a year and a half) and it works well. I plan to have this bike for a long time.

Favorite Ride:   Marin Muirwoods

Purchased At:   Play it again sports

Similar Products Used:   Car (they're both vehicles (and sorry for how often I use parentheses))

Bike Setup:   As it's sold plus toeclip pedals

Submitted by True Indian a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2009

Strengths:    Light & fast, great on road.

Weaknesses:    Stock pedals weared and lost "gripping" ability after ~1000km

Bottom Line:
Bought on spring sale, thus so cheap.
I like this bike very much! There are no troubles with maintenance. Good rims, great "bad-boy" looking. I rode about 800 miles during last 2-3 months and can say that it's great for a road riding, noticeable faster than "common" MTB-bike of such price with low-class heavy fork and aggressive tyres.
On good flat soil roads it very nice too.
But its not easy to ride in forest, road covered by sand, or mud, but tbh this is not the things this bike made for. And of course it always possible to replace stock tyres with good semislick (what i'm gonna do) to feel more confident on off-road routes.

Favorite Ride:   Marin Muirwoods 2007

Purchased At:   Moscow

Similar Products Used:   Rock Machine CrossRide 75

Bike Setup:   Full stock setup

Submitted by Jade a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2008

Strengths:    Wide handlebar, comfortable geometry, ruggedness, quick & nimble, lightweight

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
The Marin Muirwoods is the perfect balance between a road bike and a mountain bike with the ruggedness to take on a trail. I had a mountain bike and then a road bike but really wanted the best of both worlds and that's what this is. I only gave 4 stars because I think 5 stars for anything should be almost impossible.

Favorite Ride:   Bergen County bike path

Purchased At:   Bay Ridge Bicycles,

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale entry-level mountain bike, also an entry-level road bike

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Redbard a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2007

Strengths:    Sturdy bike with good components for the price. I love the black frame and wheels..it is practically invisible on the rack that I park it on.

Weaknesses:    The holes for the water bottle on the seatpost are too low...the waterbottle rack interferes with the deraillier. If the holes were a half inch higher, it would be no problem. I was able to modify my water bottle rack, but someone should have thought of that.

Bottom Line:
Bought the Muirwoods this March for a 20 mile roundtrip commute to Harrisburg, PA. Currently, I ride between 40 and 100 miles per week on the commute (depending on how many days I have to drop the kids at daycare) and usually 30 miles on the weekend. What a great bike!

It's light, fast and agile, and the frame is strong. I had an accident a couple of weeks ago on my commute, a tractor trailer made a right-hand turn in front of me. It was either go up over the curb, or under the truck. I went over the curb...the hard way. Other than needing to get my front wheel trued, there was nothing wrong with the bike.

Favorite Ride:   30 mile loop around Carlisle, PA

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for eggbeater pedals.

Submitted by Lee Reynolds a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2007

Strengths:    Great acceleration, nice sturdy frame, comfortable and pretty mean looking too.

Weaknesses:    zilch

Bottom Line:
I bought a 2006 muirwoods last year to do a charity ride form John O Groats to Lands End. I was pretty much in the mercy of the salesman at the time as I didn't know too much about bikes. It turned out to be an absolute gem. It took me through 1041 miles without so much as one puncture, great bike!
I'm about to take it on a 200 mile one day ride in July, and that will be on the same tyres, I can't wait. It's so comfortable on the long haul.

Favorite Ride:   Marin Muirwoods