Specialized Crossroads Sport 2003 Hybrid Bike

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)

Specialized Crossroads Sport: Fun and fast, efficient and stable, the Crossroads Sport will carry you across town or down to the park. With 24-speed Shimano drivetrain and 700c wheels, the Crossroads Sport is an excellent bike to...

Submitted by Catherine

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2013

Strengths:    Strong, stable, a well made bike. Mine is actually a 2007 ish.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. I lug it off and on the commuter bus rack a couple times/day. (But my arms have gotten stronger!)

Bottom Line:
My son convinced me to buy this after many years without a bike, my last a Raleigh 10 speed pre-children era. I have some numbness in my hands and so this was a nice start back to riding. I now use it much more as I have ditched the car for bike/bus/run commuting to work and shopping. I commute no more than six miles at a time, but some pretty long tough hills, having all the gears is great, I can go wherever I need to go.

Submitted by EZ Rider

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2013

Strengths:    Very well made for this price point.

Weaknesses:    Not sure there are weaknesses for the casual rider. Ride this and take the time to properly set it up and then you have an excellent ride. Rate it in haste and you will be missing out on a great bike.

Bottom Line:
I have owned Cannondale and Trek models, Electra Townie and the Crosscountry Sport with thus far is the best for it's nimble handling and smooth EZ Shifter. I like this one. Well made and smooth operation is my experience.
Don't compare this to high end road bikes. The Specialized Crossroads Sport is not that calibre of rider, it's for pure enjoyment, that's all and after all, isn't that the point of a comfort bike?

Submitted by MadCyclist a Commuter

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2011

Strengths:    Bomb proof frame, glassy-smooth and super stable ride, and virtually unaffected by Oregon's cold soggy winter weather. Great for "around town" cruising around, and short distance commuting.

Weaknesses:    Cheap crappy unreliable component group (to be expected in this price range). A little too 'upright' for my liking. I also hated the suspension seapost and had it replaced. Also the handlebar grips kept slipping.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike brand new back in 2004 to replace my aging and falling apart beater department store hybrid. It was the first "quality" bike I ever bought with my own money, and I instantly fell in love with this bike right away. The ride was super smooth, super stable, and the comfort level was that of an over-plush reclining chair. i remember jokingly calling it the Lincoln Town Car of bikes. Within a few months I moved up to Eugene,OR, I then started having problems with the components. Cables were snapping, the chain & cassette quickly wore out affecting shifting horribly, the right twist shifter broke, and the rear derailler's bolt on hanger misteriously got bent. One day the rear derailer got caught & jammed in the spokes while downshifting on a climb. I then decided that Specialized makes an inferior product instead of blaming the cheapo components (I had absolutely no knowledge bike components at the time). It was actually a great solid frame built with cheap crappy components which is to be expected at this price range. I eventually ended up giving it to an old hippie. Come to think of it I kinda miss that bike...

Favorite Ride:   Oregon countryside, baby!

Purchased At:   Jax Bicycle Center

Similar Products Used:   Various beater department store hybrid and mountain bikes, early '90s Giant Farragon, '97 Giant Upland, early '90s Trail Ridge Trailhead.

Bike Setup:   Al frame, suspension fork, Shimano Acera group (total crap!), Specialized brand everything else.

Submitted by gmitch3066 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2008

Strengths:    all-around capabilities/comfortable seat/great components

Weaknesses:    nothing so far

Bottom Line:
I was really in a difficult decision. I wanted something that performed very well on the road but had some capability off of pavement. This bike pleasantly surprised me. The seat was incredibly comfortable and the gears shifted without any hitch or rattle. And the suspension on the front fork provided the off road confidence i was searching for. I cant rave enough about this bike which just happened to be very moderately priced along with everything else.

Favorite Ride:   08 specialized crossroads sport

Purchased At:   Richardson bike mart

Similar Products Used:   none

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Bob a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2008

Strengths:    Comfortable. Durable. Reliable. Quality material.

Weaknesses:    Not motorized. Ha ha.

Bottom Line:
My wife and I bought 2 Crossroads over 12 years ago before our children were born. These bikes are incredibly comfortable. My wife's friend rode hers once and said, "Wow, this is a really nice bike." So it is.

Over 12 years of riding and we have not had one problem out of these bikes. We haven't even had a flat. Nearly all of the riding has been on paved surface, however. Still, I have ridden my LeMond over these same surfaces and suffered over a dozen flats.

Great bike. Comfortable ride. I would buy it again.

Purchased At:   Charleston Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Rode friends' Schwinns and WalMart type bikes. YUCK!

Bike Setup:   Stock

Crossroads sport vs elite

I was looking at the specialied web site and want to know what the difference between the two bikes wereRead More »