Burley Design Cooperative Canto 2003 Recumbent Bike

Submitted by Cantosman a Recreational Rider from West Des Moines, IA USA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
With three kids in college for the past 6 years I've only had the desire to buy a recumbent, not the means. Now that two of the three are out of school and my weekend rides are becoming more painful, I've finally made the plunge. I've read countless articles on recumbents, I've subscribed to RCN and I finally decided last October to buy my recumbent from the bike shop that has taken care of me all these many years. Rasmussens Bike Shop has been selling Burley recumbents now for about a year and although they were not first on my list I finally realized that whatever I bought I'd have to eventually take to Rasmussens for repair or a tune up. I decided that I couldn't buy a recument over the Internet or from some shop in Colorado and then feel comfortable bringing it into my bike store to fix, so I bought the Burley Cantos. My first ride was the long wheel base version and I rode 35 miles! No shoulder or neck pain whatsoever! A couple of weeks later I tried the short wheel base and rode 50 miles - experiencing some pain in the groin (new riding position and using new muscles) but no neck or shoulder pain! I bought the bike and have put about 300 miles on it this very mild Iowa winter. I have been very satisfied with my Cantos - with one exception - I've put a rack on the back and the Burley seat after a few miles of riding slackens up a bit and I can feel my back touching the mountain rack. Burley has not designed a rack and their seat arrangement does not allow for an easy installation of one. So far I really like the feel and function provided by my Cantos. I keep it in the short wheelbase version as it provides better turning. I don't think you can go wrong with a Burley, but I do recommend that you buy your new recumbent from YOUR bike store.

Favorite Ride:   Coast of Maine