Turner Enterprises T Lite Basic 2003 Recumbent Bike

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

Submitted by sailor-mike a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2011

Strengths:    Light,fast, compact, stiff frame,tight turn radius, ,comfortable ergonomics,racey lines, and a bit of a rare breed!

Weaknesses:    Little room for adjustment, heel/crank strikes on front wheel, more so than on my V-REX. lack of locations for accessories(rear rack mounts) I'll have to drill my own hole I guess!

Bottom Line:
I was drawn to Recumbents because of pain riding standard bikes and found all pain a nonissue with recumbents. my first was a Rans V-REX (love it, still have it) then an E-bike (OK but a bit crude, sold it) and then I found my T-Lite on craigslist! I wanted to try an under seat steering. the guy I bought it from was too tall for the frame but with a bit of tweeking it fits me just right.It feels like a hot rod compared to my V-REX (luxury cruiser)! It's light fast and pretty comfortable to boot. The breaks are a bit weak but I've learned to slow down sooner so as to avoid ending up in the middle of an intersection instead of at the stop sign!I wish the frame had mounting spots for a rear rack, there isn't much space on the frame to mount any packs or pouches for misc.gear. I get lots of oohs and aaahs from folks when I'm out riding. I live in Tucson AZ but shipped it out to florida for a 2 month stay with family and have been getting lots of ride time. It's really flat here compared to Tucson.
I ended up changing the rear sprocket set to a lower gear set, I was having trouble getting up steep grades without making my knees scream! I'm much better now. I really like the under seat steering! I weigh in at 215 lb and it seems to handle my weight without issue. If I keep riding the lb's should be getting lighter!

Favorite Ride:   Gates Pass Tucson, AZ

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Rans V-Rex, E-Bike

Bike Setup:   16"/26"wheels, Shimano Deore hubs,28 speeds,Deore sram 7.0 rear derailure, Shimano 105 front derailure, sram 9.0 twist shift, Truvativ crank set

Submitted by joelblaylock a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2006

Strengths:    Great SWB bike, with underseat steering. Fit and comfort is everything and Milt makes certain the bike works for you.

Weaknesses:    I like the bike and with about 3 road bikes and 2 mountain, this is my favorite.

Bottom Line:
Turner offers a custom built machine at realistic price.

Similar Products Used:   Greenspeed Touring GTR

Bike Setup:   Easy to put together and use. A great value for the price.

Submitted by KSmith a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2004

Strengths:    Very comfortable seat
Under seat steering
Looks very fast, even standing still
Very sturdy, strong frame

Weaknesses:    Chain has jumped out of gear twice
Will probably want fenders in wet weather
Recumbents are pricey.

Bottom Line:
There it is. Sleek, black, commanding with an aura of lightning fast power, my Turner T-Lite1 recumbent bike is the best looking steed in my garage. When I am cruising down the road on it, I feel exhilarated in a way that diamond frames can never match because I am riding a real eye-catcher and in total comfort.

I called Milt Turner on the phone and he put together this wonderful short wheel base recumbent for me based on my in-seam, x-seam and weight. After not riding or exercising for a number of years, I wanted to try a comfortable bike ride. The T-Lite1 is that and more.

I have seen flashier recumbents and the under seat steering does take a bit of getting used to, but once I settle down in the seat and relax, the ride is great. The rubber "elastomer" pads under the hard shell seat offer good shock absorption without a lot of extra weight, so the ride doesn't hurt if I hit a jarring bump. The adjustable lumbar support allows me to position the support on my back and helps with my pedaling as my back is nicely supported.

The handlebars are under the seat, so they fit comfortably to hand and there is no shoulder or arm stiffness from supporting the hands on the handlebars in front. The underseat steering does take getting used to, but remember, I haven't ridden a bike in many years. If I can learn to steer it, you probably can too.

The short wheel base has proved useful in commuting too. I can ride the Turner to the busstop in the morning (3 miles) and load it on the bus rack to ride in to work downtown. At the end of the day, I can take the bus back and ride the bike to the house.

The Turner is not for everyone, but I found Milt Turner to be very attentive to my comfort, safety and satisfaction. As with all vehicles, test ride before you buy.

Favorite Ride:   Nice paved bike trails