Abici Bikes Vader Dura-Ace 2003 Road Bike

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Submitted by exracer a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2005

Strengths:    strength/stiffness
light weight
handleling
feel

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
I purchased a frame/fork and built it up. I have put 1500+ miles on the the bike so far and it has performed brilliantly. It is very stiff in the right ways allowing you to sprint and climb without any flex. The carbon fork and stays take the edge off the road vibration and bumps. I am very impressed with the way this thing can accelerate. The power transfere is first rate. This is my first aluminum road frame and it is a cut above the steel framed bikes I used to race. This frame makes my 93 Paramount feel mushy by comparison. The handling is right up there with the best, allowing you to carve tight lines. You can also attack 50mph downhills with confidence. It tracks straight and true whereas my old Guerciotti would go into a high speed weave at those speeds. I can't say enough about this frame and I have the only Abici in Las Vegas.

Favorite Ride:   any

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Guerciotti
Paramount
Rossin

Bike Setup:   DA 10spd, FSA team crank, White Industry hubs w/Velocity rims, WCS stem, Newton bars

Submitted by Dave a Recreational Rider from SC

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2003

Strengths:    - good climber
- comfortable
- affordable!
- nice build quality
- good customer service

Weaknesses:    The decals may crinkle if clamped on a bike stand. I managed to do this despite being careful. I also have a Moser frame and I've never had a problem crinkling the decals with a clamp. It's not really a weakness, but one should be aware of it.

Bottom Line:
I picked up a frame and headset for $635 from Clark at AbiciBikes. I have about 120 miles on the bike so far and I have been impressed by its ride quality. It has a nice mixture of stiffness and comfort. The bike handles very well, is an adept climber and is comfortable.

Favorite Ride:   Paris Mtn

Purchased At:   Abici Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Paramount steel, Serotta steel, Colnago ti, ParkPre steel, Tommasini steel, Moser steel, Moser aluminum

Bike Setup:   Dura Ace controls, Ritchey WCS stem, Easton carbon handlebars and carbon seatpost, Reynolds Stratus DV wheelset, Speedplay pedals. I built up the Abici to be a light climber and the bike comes in around 16.5 lbs in a size 57cm including pedals.