Airborne W.A.S.P. 2003 Road Bike

Designed specifically for women and smaller riders, Airborne ’s design incorporates unique features such as 650c wheels and curved top tube to maximize stand over height, fit, and gender specific comfort. The WASP uses our proprietary Cold-worked 3Al / 2.5V Seamless Titanium.

Submitted by 5footer a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2004

Strengths:    Fast! Not as rough as the aluminium alternatives from Cannondale & Specialized. 650c wheels make a small rider feel like a average height person - agile handling. I feel faster, I go faster!

Weaknesses:    The top tube bend (to give maximun standover clearance) means my trusty frame fit pump had to be replaced with a mini pump. Short rear chainstays equal more road shock than expected from a Titanium bike, though not unbearable.

Bottom Line:
It's great to see a manufacturer building thoughtful, quality road machines for little people. Sadly, there's not much said about the Airborne W.A.S.P on the internet. I felt compelled to write about it. Airborne makes a super little bike for any serious small roadie on a budget. If you can afford a Seven or IF, congrads! For me, Airborne offered a chance to get on a Ti bike that fits my small stature and wallet. I read that the WASP's not the stiffest in its class - which is exactly why I bought it. I love to ride and NOT feel every pebble on the pavement! Still, the frame feels stiff, and doesn't exhibit all those Ti characteristics such as chain rub on climbs. Cool graphics, some what understated. There are a lot of Airborne logos on these bikes, but from what I heard they can easily be removed if not to your liking. The welds look good for $899. The bike tracks straight with no hands on the bars - a BIG issue for me. The cable guides are placed with care - no rubbing anywhere on the frame! Sweet lil' package and so many choices on equipment right on their website. I call and talked to them as I couldn't believe I'd actually get a real bike. No worries! They even told me to go the local shop for faster service and better price! I'm saving up for a Airborne mtb bike next!

Favorite Ride:   Airborne W.A.S.P.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   Custom Rock Lobster 650c (my steel first true love) Bianchi Eros 650c, Trek 1220, Cannondale, ouch.

Bike Setup:   Stock Ti W.A.S.P. 43 cm, Ultegra, Bontager 650c, Hutchinson Carbon Comp tyres, Profile all carbon fork, Flyte stem, bars, & seatpost.