Bianchi Campione 2003 Road Bike

Submitted by tjallen a Recreational Rider from Montana

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2003

Strengths:    Campy components; sweet steel ride; excellent value; and very upgradable

Weaknesses:    Composite levers on the shifters don't feel as positive as metal ones; seat is a tad uncomfortable

Bottom Line:
This is my first road bike and I love it! After years of on-again/off-again mountain biking I decided I wanted to ride on pavement more efficiently, go on longer group/club rides, maybe get introduced to some racing, etc.

My budget was around 1k and I looked at a few bikes in this price range--Trek 1200, 2000; Cannondale 600; Lemond Alpe d' Huez. I much preferred the ride of steel so that ruled out the Trek and Cannondale, and the Campy gear on the Bianchi sold me over the Lemond. I didn't like using the brake lever to shift and the Campy hoods are just way more comfortable.

And even though the Campy Mirage components are on the lower end, it all works/shifts beautifully. My only small complaint would be with the composite levers, but that can be upgraded sometime in the future. That is the only reason I gave it a 4, b/c there is potential to make this bike even better. Sometime when I'm feeling indulgent, I'll get new wheels, but as it is this bike is still awesome. Overall I think it is a perfect bike for a beginner like me to grow with for a couple years.

Oh, and if you're ever in Missoula, the folks at MBW are wonderful.

Favorite Ride:   don't know yet

Purchased At:   Missoula Bicycle Wor

Similar Products Used:   Teasted: Trek 1200, 2000; Cannondale 600; and Lemond Alpe d' Huez

Bike Setup:   Stock