Bianchi Eros 2003 Road Bike

4.78/5 (9 Reviews)

Submitted by lug lover a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2009

Strengths:    Wonderful steel ride; triple chainrings for the hills. Easy to handle, not fatiguing on long rides.

Weaknesses:    Stock saddle - too uncomfortable & pedals - waay too flexy. Major weakness - no longer made with 650c wheels or with lugs after 1999.

Bottom Line:
I have a 46cm Eros with 650c wheels/Campy Mirage/Veloce, purchased new in '96. A delightful ride - steel is real. Liked it so much I found a used 46cm '99 / 650c and built it up as a fixie. Nice lugs, great handling. Fast, but not whippy. Completely as advertised.

Favorite Ride:   Philadelphia to Valley Forge & beyond

Purchased At:   Cycles BiKyle

Similar Products Used:   Rivendell All-Rounder; Bridgestone XO-1

Bike Setup:   I made the following changes: Selle San Marco saddle; 80's Campy platform pedals; Continental tires; Campy quill stem and Nitto Noodle handlebars. Stock drivetrain & shifters.

Submitted by Andrew Hinerfeld a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2009

Strengths:    comfort, smooth shifting, acceleration, great for aggressive rec rides, touring, centuries and commuting!

Weaknesses:    I switched out the stock seat and might eventually upgrade for lighter wheels, cranks and pedals, but not in any hurry.

Bottom Line:
I love my Eros (my "Italian lover")! It is very comfortable for me without sacrificing performance for the riding I do (50k rides with some hills). I love the steel frame and carcon forks and the classic design.

Favorite Ride:   many East Athens, GA loops

Purchased At:   Georgia Cycle Sport

Bike Setup:   stock except for Italia seat.

Submitted by GB a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2007

Strengths:    Steel frame, carbon fork, solid campy components, Mavic Aksium Race wheels, clean shifting, triple crank set (very kind on the long hills).

Weaknesses:    Very uncomfortable stock seat from Bianchi - switched to a Specialized Avatar gel saddle.

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike for recreation, club rides, and centuries. I have been able to ride it in the Smoky Mountains and along the New England coast. It feels quick and responsive to whatever I put into it, the steel frame is also very comfortable. Has been admired on club rides for the classic design and good components. I can tell this is a bike that I will be able to grow into and enjoy for a long time, even as I become a stronger rider. Feels smooth on the road. People who ride aluminum and carbon will say it is heavy, but compared to the steel frame I was riding 15 years ago, this bike is light!

Favorite Ride:   Road To Nowhere, NC

Purchased At:   Kopp's Cycle Shop, P

Submitted by Mel Turner a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2007

Strengths:    frame, climbing ability, cruising, drive train, comfortable on unkind roads

Weaknesses:    For the price I paid, there are not weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
When I went looking for a bike, I wanted quality and reliability with a price range between $700 and $1000. The Bianchi Eros was the best deal for the money. I test road a Specialized Allez Sport Triple, Schwinn, Fuji, Trek and the Eros. For my purpose (hill climb and cruising), the Eros beat them all hands down. The Eros climbed better, a lot less jarring over rough roads, more comfortable and a better fit. Further, the Eros shifts better and comes equipped with better wheels. Obviously, there are better bikes on the market with higher end components and higher prices, but if you're not a road racer and just want to get a good work out and not be beat up by your bike, then the Eros is the way to go.

Favorite Ride:   air force academy

Purchased At:   Bicycle Village in C

Similar Products Used:   gmc denali 7005, trek 1000, specialized allez sport triple, schwinn and fuji

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by xyian a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2005

Strengths:    Climbing ability, shifters, fit, feel, comfort.

Weaknesses:    Wheelset.

Bottom Line:
This bike was given the green light by me because of how peppy it was. I test rode other bikes in the price point and the Trek seemed peppy but too stiff and the Specialized seemed, well, blah. This bike loves to climb and it loves to be accelerated. This was my first real road bike so I thought it was light but I guess everybody else complains about it being heavy. I thought it was easy to move and the shifters worked just great.

Favorite Ride:   Bianchi Eros

Purchased At:   River City

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Varsity Sport(ha ha!)

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Eros
Schwinn Homegrown Pro XTR
Schwinn Varsity Sport

Dark Blue Bianchi Eros $420

Hi guys. This is my last resort. I do not know anybody into cycling, due to my young age. So I am asking for your help. I was wondering if this is a bad buy. He originally wanted $450, but he would only budge down $30. Its in lightly used condition, with campy parts. Here is the link to a bike pedia ... Read More »

Price for Bianchi Eros

Hello, I am interested in purchasing a used 2002 Bianchi Eros; appears in very good shape. Is $500 a reasonable price, with upgraded Mavic rear wheel? Thanks very much. MikeRead More »

Bianchi Eros frame with Campagnolo wheel

Anyone interested in this frame: serial #71055144R, fully lugged, double-butted cro-mo tubing. Plus a Campagnolo Melbourne 56 wheel. See pictures.Read More »

Bianchi Eros Frame

I recently came across (left in a garage I bought at an estate sale) a Bianchi Eros frame...fully lugged, double-butted, cro-mo tubing with a campagnolo Melbourne 56 wheel. I was wondering if it's junk or should I pursue selling it? How do I track the serial number for more info on it? :confused:Read More »

Bianchi Eros?

A friend told me he saw a Bianchi in a pawn shop and I headed right over as I am looking to upgrade my current ride. It appears to be a 2006 Bianchi Eros with Mirage components and Mavic wheels. The fit was perfect but I didn't ride it as I thought the price was a bit high. They are asking 65 ... Read More »