Bianchi Imola 2003 Road Bike

Submitted by Nick a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2007

Strengths:    Shimano 105 components listed above
Tiagra crank and cassette mean less wear and tear than 105 for only the 3 gear advantage (30 speeds vs my 27)
Cartridge bearing setup
Black Shimano, with wheels adds a beautiful look.

Weaknesses:    Seatpost should be changed immediately
Saddle not very comfortable

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike at an amazing price.

I fell in love.

As stated above easy uphills and solid downhills. A very fast bike overall. The stem that came with the bike was very long which made the handlebars extended out too far. I asked the shop and they replaced it for free. The seatpost is standard and should probably be replaced immediatly with a lighter carbon fiber or thomson seatpost.

This bike has a steel frame which is a personal decision for any rider. The aluminum frames I tried don't weight much less but seem to have a quicker response time. However aluminum means that if I down the bike, it could mean trashing it, and overtime the frame could crack. With steel I get similar weight with long lastability, but slower response.

Steel also gives a better ride, and with the carbon fiber fork, gives a smooth ride. Aluminum frames for a similar price still have the carbon fiber fork but I thought, give a slightly harsher ride.

Balanced well I can ride no hands with ease.

Looked at the silver frame, and components for price, fell in love.

Purchased At:   Bikesmiths

Bike Setup:   Black Shimano 105 front and rear derailleurs
Black 105 brakes
Tiagra 9 speed cassette
Tiagra triple crankset
Tiagra shifters
Cartridge bearing wheel setup.

Submitted by Mark a Recreational Rider from Northglenn

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2003

Strengths:    Fast, very light, looks beautiful.

Weaknesses:    none that I can see.

Bottom Line:
Just bought this bike last week. Very fast. I was able to purchase it for 1000 instead of 1300 because the handlebars were slightly scratched from an earlier demo ride. So far, so good.

Favorite Ride:   Bianchi Imola Shimano 105

Purchased At:   Univ. Bicycles Bould

Submitted by techmgr a Recreational Rider from Louisville, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2003

Strengths:    Louisville Cyclery

It's all good for me except for weaknesses below

Weaknesses:    Save yourself the trouble and buy another saddle immediately.

Tire wear - do I notice them wearing after just 100 miles? What is normal wear on this kind of bike?

WTB pedals or me?

Bottom Line:
After having just a mountain bike for many years I wanted a good road bike for going longer distances. Louisville Cyclery (near Boulder) knows their stuff - highly recommended if you are in the area.

Pushing around 35 pounds of old Diamondback was torture compared to the Imola. I have not weighed the bike yet but it feels light enough for me. I chose steel over aluminum because of my weight (215 pounds) and Colorado roads which tend toward the bumpier side. I was concerned with aluminum for these reasons. This has been borne out several times on bumpy/rough roads and I am glad to be riding steel.

The bike flies well even with me at 6'1" and 215 pounds - originally. Already lost 5 pounds riding it not too far at one time during the break-in period.

The 59 cm frame fit me like a glove except for the stem. I liked a little higher riding position and had installed an ITM stem angled upward a bit.

I read all the complaints on saddles and immediately had a Specialized Body Geometry installed. Feels great so far on shorter rides < 25 miles.

I chose this over the more expensive Veloce due to shifting equipment. I read some issues with Campagnolo at this price range. LBS confirmed that while they like Campy overall, for the bikes I was comparing the Shimano 105 might be more reliable even though they like being able to take apart and fix Campy Veloce. LBS likes Campy for the high end components and Veloce is lowest they will sell in their store.

Shifting the 105 is great on the rear, good on the front. A little annoyed at how fast the cables stretched - front derailleur rubbing chain already - normal? Just have to keep up with cable adjustments.

During break in there is a lot of adjusting to do when cables are stretching so make sure you have a bike shop who will do it cheap/free. Louisville Cyclery does all adjustments free for first year and free tune up first 90 days.

I am not sure I need the triple chainring but there are caveats. On all hills but one I have used only the 2 larger ones. However I ride shorter distances, 23 miles longest so far. I have ridden some long slow hills just fine. If I work up to longer rides it may be more of a need for getting up those final hills.

If you are coming from a mountain bike, get used to the faster bike before pushing it. I was going downhill on a bike path, had to avoid peds and had a minor spill. Just one scratch on the wheel but not a trend to continue.

I have a hard time getting into left pedal on WTB pedals. I can click into right one, get started, then it is hit/miss on left. Could be me as I am less experienced on these.

The carbon fork is good for reducing vibration and fatigue. On one ride I "felt" for front and rear vibration and could tell the difference between them on the rougher road. If you are wanting to keep the upper body and hand stress/fatigue down, buy a bike that has at least a carbon fork. This factor also drove my decision to this price range and not to a more entry level Bianchi.

Love the ride. Fast enough. Climbs just fine for me. Smooth even at 41 mph downhill. Enough bike in case I want to do some events/races.

I saw Bianchi, I fell in love. It is a beautiful machine. If you are wanting to spend between 1000-1500, want a light enough but stable ride, are a bigger/heavier rider, and/or graduating from mtn bike riding, this is the one I would pick.

If you are willing to spend twice the money you can go for an all carbon frame but I am very happy with this one (which reviewer isn't?).

Favorite Ride:   Over hill, over dale...

Purchased At:   Louisville Cyclery

Bike Setup:   Reynolds 631 frame, Shimano 105 components, Mavic wheels, Specialized Body Geometry Saddle, Cat Eye Mity 8 computer

Tomasso Imola vs Trek 1.1

hello, I've been doing research on getting my first road bike and it came down to these 2. I really like the Trek 1.1 but it's about $300 more than the Tommaso Imola. I will only be riding about once a week for 30-40 miles and 2 - 3 triathlons a year (possibly the MS150 next year). Would the I ... Read More »

2012 Imola - No Longer Reynolds 631

Greetings all, I'm new here (and new to the venerated world of Bianchi!). I'm on the cusp of buying a new 2012 Bianchi Imola (or possibly Vigorelli) and very excited. I was wondering if anyone with experience riding the Reynolds 631 Vigorelli/Imola frames (or anyone, really) could comment on B ... Read More »

Bianchi 2011 Imola, 2011 Vigorelli or 2012 Nirone

Which of the two has better components? 2011 Imola vs 2012 Nirone 2011 Vigorelli vs 2012 NironeRead More »

Kona Honky Inc. vs. Bianchi Imola???

Hey there, first posting here... I am riding in the AIDS Lifecyle 9 this June. I rode last year as a complete novice on a Bianchi Cameleonte Sport II hybrid. I love the bike, but it was a bit heavy and slow, and I had trouble keeping up with my friends on road bikes. I've been shopping around for ... Read More »

Thinking about the Tommaso Imola

Alright, I told myself I have exactly $500 to spend on a bike. I know there will be a lot of people saying to get a used bike, but I've been hunting around on the bike-rich Chicago craigslist for over a year and have get to get a sweet deal (there have been some deals that slipped by). It seems that ... Read More »