Bianchi Volpe 2003 Road Bike

3.67/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by Texas Tourer a Commuter

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2007

Strengths:    Durable chromoly frame and fork. The crankwheel teeth are slightly smaller (48-38-28) than most racing bikes, but for light touring the gear ratio is appropriate. Stock tires (Panaracer Tourguard) are respectable.

Weaknesses:    No fork eyelets for a front rack. There is only one eyelet available at the end of the chainstays, so if you want fenders and a rear rack, you better head over to Home Depot and buy a longer screw.

Bottom Line:
After almost 2,000 miles on the this green goblin, I have only positive things to say about this bike. I've ridden in group rides, competitive rides, and along dirt trails through the city and have never had a problem. I can't speak much to the Tiagra drivetrain as I have replaced the shifters with Dura Ace bar-end shifters out of personal preference. The bike is an excellent commuter-bike combining both durability and a quasi-racing geometry.

Favorite Ride:   2007 Bianchi Volpe w/ Brooks Saddle

Similar Products Used:   Trek 520, Novara Randonee, Novara Strada, Scattante R660

Bike Setup:   Rear and front lights, Planet Bike fenders, Trek Interchange rear rack, Stardard B17 Brooks Saddle, Dura Ace bar-end shifters, I've tried 700x23 tires and they've worked well on good roads. For commuting purposes, I use 700x28.

Submitted by Mike a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2007

Strengths:    The frame offers balance between stiffness and flexibility - stable and comfortable to ride, easy to handle.

Weaknesses:    Shifting is a bit clunky.

Bottom Line:
Searching for a touring bike to ride as a commuter, I was turned on to the Volpe. I've been riding the bike for about six weeks (slightly more than one month), and have between 500 and 600 miles under the tires.

So far it's been a real pleasure to ride. I love the frame geometry - I've suffered from back and knee problems in the past, but this bike fits me like a glove.

The Tiagra/Deore is . . . well, Tiagra/Deore. A tune-up after the first few hundred miles has improved shifting accuracy, but it's still a bit clunky. I may switch to a 105/XT set-up later on.

The WTB Terrainasaurs took a bit of a beating the first couple of weeks, mostly due to rider error and some street repairs in progress, but after a re-build of the rear wheel and smarter handling, they've performed well on the mix of street and bike path that makes up my 19 mi. daily commute.

And the leopard print on the saddle is dead sexy! ;-)

Favorite Ride:   Anyplace with a tail wind

Purchased At:   King's Bicycle Store

Bike Setup:   Stock out of the box - I may switch to Conti GatorSkins and/or 105/XT down the line.

Submitted by birkettnealy a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2005

Strengths:    Very smooth ride, and an exceptional value. The handling is nimble, but not jittery. Very stable ride

Weaknesses:    The breaks definitely make some noise, particularly in wet or even humid weather. The tires that come standard are more like a cyclocross tire- fairly beefy tread for a touring bike. I'll likely swap them out for slicks. Also, the clipless pedals that come standard are pretty cheap. They do the job, but nothing to write home about. All in all, the weaknesses are relatively minor, and I would highly recommend riding this bike if you're in the market for a new touring or commuting bike.

Bottom Line:
I've put about 150 miles on this bike so far, mostly commuting, and I'm very happy with it. It absorbs the bumps well, and is very comfortable to ride.I shopped around for a long time trying to find the perfect commuting bike. Of all the bikes I tested, the Volpe was hands down the most comfortable. It was also one of the lighter bikes I rode. Even after swapping out the tires and pedals (see below), it came in several hundred dollars less than anything comparable.

Favorite Ride:   home from work

Purchased At:   Gregg's Green Lake,

Submitted by joshuamoody a Commuter

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2005

Strengths:    CroMoly frame is tough and takes a beating. Front and rear rack mounts are handy. The top tube is flattened at the down tube for more comfortable carrying over the shoulder. It is fairly agile and can handle a load without feeling too shakey.

Weaknesses:    The stock parts are really low quality. After 3 months of commuting, I've started popping a couple of spokes a week. The bottom bracket is shot. As is the head set. I've had a lot of trouble with the front brakes squealing. I corrected this by aggressively toeing in the pads, but I get still get a great deal of (sometimes violent) vibration when I brake. I've never been able to ride without hands on bars - even out of the box.

Bottom Line:
2004 Bianchi Volpe

This is my first new bike and unfortunately it has been a disappointment. I ordered the bike in Febuary and it did not arrive until May, partly because Bianchi sent it to the wrong shop.

I rode it for 3 weeks for an average of 30 miles a day - with the longest rides clocking it at 75+ miles. Out of the box, I had a great deal of violent shuddering when braking. A little frustrated I put the bike away for 6 months and picked it up again in November when my track bike bit the dust. Three months later, I've retired this bike for good.

I suspect that the bike came with a slightly bent fork and that the shop where I bought it did not adjust the head set correctly. I had the fork checked out by several different mechanics: some said it was bent, other said it was bent but didn't that it didn't matter, other said it was not bent at all. Go figure. I suspect that it is slightly bent, but also that the geometry is slightly out of wack.

I choose this bike because it was the only new steel bike I could find for under $1500. I paid $900 for it with a professional fitting. If you are considering getting this bike, wait a little longer and save up for better one. Go custom if you can. You'll save yourself a world of frustration.

I take some responsibility for my disatisfaction. When I noticed the problems with the fork and the head, I should have brought the bike back the shop I bought it from and had it checked out. 9 months later Bianchi and the shop was unwilling to take responsibility. Who can blame them?

So I am disappointed with the bike, Bianchi, and the shop I bought it from (they are great guys, but I feel like they might have dropped the ball on this one).

Favorite Ride:   Repo Man Alley Cat

Purchased At:   The Smell

Bike Setup:   Stock parts with 700 cc x 25 Continental Ultra Gator Skins and fancy blue and white stripped grip tape.

Submitted by GravityOneYouZero a Commuter

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2004

Strengths:    Geometry (a good mix of touring and sport)
Bianchi Quality
Versatility

Weaknesses:    The Avid brakes are LOUD. The front squeals even under minor braking. I am going to try Kool Stop pads and toe in differently. Seems to be a problem with brake/wheel combos and not Bianchi's fault. I know they put different brakes on the 2004.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike for a Transcontinental tour this summer. After quite some research and a lot of confusion, I chose the Volpe. This bike is a huge improvement over my ancient Trek mtn. bike. Responsive, comfortable, and fast (in comparison). I've only had the bike for two months and about 500 miles. I'll leave an update after she gets me across the US.

Favorite Ride:   The Garden State Parkway the day they ban cars