Bianchi XL Boron/Chorus 2003 Road Bike

Submitted by Dave Zbaracki a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2003

Strengths:    light, nimble, responsive, yet forgiving

Weaknesses:    Lance rides a Trek, but he would ride a Bianchi if he could. At least that's what I think.

Bottom Line:
I have the 2001 version of this frame. It is an absolute dream to ride, not to mention a great value. Aluminum, titanium, carbon; who needs them? Steel is real. This bike is where its at.

The ride is extremely responsive. It has the comfort of a steel ride, but it doesn't flex while sprinting. Also, the frame is one of the lightest steel frames on the market, so it flies up the hills. The Bianchi all carbon fork is awesome, too.

Purchased At:   Twin Ports Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Trek carbon, aluminum Cannondale, aluminum Specialized m4, regular steel Bianchi, steel GT

Bike Setup:   I have a Campy Record/Chorus mix on the bike to keep the Italian theme. It has Record carbon levers and Record carbon rear deraileur. The rest is Chorus. Campagnolo parts are genuine works of art. My bike shifts flawlessly. And did you see the new 2004 Record? Absolutely amazing, divine!

For the wheels, I've got a pair of Rolf Vector Pros with Continental 4 season Grand Prix tires. I live in Duluth, MN which is known for its hills and crappy roads. I have never had to true these wheels and I have never had a flat with these tires. If you're looking for a no-hassle wheel set up, this is for you.

Other highlights include: Sella Italia Pro Link saddle - great for long rides, Cuissi stainless steel cages - tres elegant, Rastafarian Cinelli cork tape - super fly, Cinelli handlebar and Alter stem - the stem with the big whole in it - kinda cool, Vetta wireless computer - gotta go wireless, no excuses, and titanium Speedplay pedals with Sidi Genius 4 shoes - great setup.

I spent $3,500 customizing this bike after graduation. I was 18. My parents thought I was crazy, but it was worth every penny. Great bike.

Submitted by a Road Racer from Rock Hill, SC USA

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2003

Strengths:    The ride! It is as light as you can get with steel but solid as a rock. The rear does not wag in a sprint and when you stand on it to climb all the force moves forward with no loss of power. The larger and shaped top/down/head tubes with a 1 1/8" Carbon fork make a real difference. It is a bike you can ride all day and not be destroyed. It sprints, climbs and handles as good as any bike I have ridden in 20 years

Weaknesses:    Trying to fine one - but not yet.

Bottom Line:
This frame replaced a 2001 53 cm sloping tube Boron that I cracked. I thought the old one was the best riding bike ever till I got he 2003 edition. Bianchi and Bicycles South are great to work and took care of the warranty promptly, professionally. If you want the ride of Ti, the performance of Alum. but the feel of steel, this is the bike!

Favorite Ride:   Mtns of North & South Carolina