Cannondale R1000 Sport 2003 Road Bike

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

Submitted by Bruce Buckoski a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2004

Strengths:    Great at going down hills, the bike tracked well!

Weaknesses:    little to stiff for me. If I was younger it would be fine...I perfer the carbon fiber tail.

Bottom Line:
Whoa!Riding my new r1000 has been quite the experience! Coming from a all Mountain biking background,its hard to determine what your limitations are on the roads.I have found that this bike just keeps me wanting more! It is so effortless. The light weight frame make distances shorter and the slick geometry help cut the wind.The aluminium frame seems a little stiff, but the shock seat post makes up for that. Rad wheelset!

Favorite Ride:   cannondale r1000 sport

Purchased At:   Spyn cycle

Similar Products Used:   Trek 5200

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by zippy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2003

Strengths:    Nice component group! Mine came with ultegra front and back.This may be a sort of disappointment to others with 105 front derailers.Shifting has been sweet and clean,despite a small cable stretch problem in the beginning.

Weaknesses:    For the long hauls, the posture is a little tight. Find I get small back pains after 50 or so miles.Wish they sized it differently than small,medium,large,x-large sizes.

Bottom Line:

Favorite Ride:   whatever the day provides

Purchased At:   rei

Similar Products Used:   jamis xlt 1.0

Bike Setup:   keeping it stock.

Submitted by sondance a Recreational Rider from Mickey Mouse World

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2003

Strengths:    Great looks, rides nice, great shifting.

Weaknesses:    Stock seat - changed to Koobi. Pedals - Shimano.

Bottom Line:
Haven't ridden a road bike since back in the "10 Speed" glory days. Motorcyle Mountain bike convert. Always wanted to buy a Cannondale, and now I finally have one! Have had the bike a little over two weeks now and accumulated over 100 miles. Great bike for the beginning rider. Taken awhile to get used to the front derailleur performance, and am contemplating switching to Ultegra to match the other components, but this wouldn't keep me from purchasing one. No problems, other than a flat, to report. Easy to ride, fairly comfy, my back is still getting used to this road bike positioning even though its a bit tamer than a full on performance bike. Have been able to motor along fairly decent, the only thing holding back is my conditioning and pedal skills, which are improving with each ride. Though a bit pricey, I would highly recomend to someone looking to get in to road bikes.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   Orange Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel 90 - mtb. Demo'd Specialized Allez Elite (Love the Zebra, but not the compact frame), Other Cannondale models.

Bike Setup:   Koobi seat, Shimano pedals. Thinking of swapping Frt Derail to Ultegra.

Submitted by jdbarr a Recreational Rider from Livingston, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2002

Strengths:    This bike is perfect for someone who wants a fast, serious road bike, yet is wiling to trade off a little performance for more comfort.

Weaknesses:    The Selle saddle was literally painful. I traded up to a Brooks B.17 ti Champion Special, and now am very comfortable!

Bottom Line:
As a relatively new biker, I normally ride about 30-40 miles a week, at a "C" level. In moving up from a comfort bike, I considered performance road bikes, flat bar road bikes and hybrids. After reading about the Cannondale R1000 Sport in Fitness Cycling magazine, I bought it and have been delighted.

Favorite Ride:   flats