Cannondale R2000 Triple 2003 Road Bike

Submitted by James Lyle a Commuter from Hermosa Beach, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2003

Strengths:    Components (Ultegra/Dura-Ace).
Mavic wheels with aero spokes.
Cannondale CAAD7 frame.
Sexy looks.

Weaknesses:    none to speak of.

Bottom Line:
I've been commuting to my job at the university (9 miles each way) for 31 years. My old Cannodale triple touring bike was 15 years old and had about 50,000 miles on it. During "ride your bike to work week", my name was chosen in a drawing for a new bike. Of course the university didn't realize how much the new bike I wanted was going to cost. We negotiated and they agreed to give me $500 which I used to upgrade from the Cannondale R1000 that I had been looking at to the R2000. I used my Los Angeles Bicycle Coalition discount at Helen's and got a good deal.

The R2000 is a wonderful bike, light, responsive and well appointed with Shimano Ultegra/Dura-Ace components. The "hour-glass" seat stays make the aluminum frame more shock absorbing than my older Cannondale but the frame is still very stiff and translates all my effort into turning the wheels instead of flexing the frame. Although I'm only a commuter, I ride fast and on the R2000 I find myself cruising along 3-5 miles per hour faster.

Price Paid:    $2099.00

Purchased At:   Helen's Bikes, Manha

Similar Products Used:   Trek bikes.

Submitted by crempy g a Recreational Rider from Westlake Village

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2002

Strengths:    Smooth ride, great value given the high end Ksyrium wheels

Weaknesses:    I do not like the two colors it comes in but I got the blac,

Bottom Line:
I recently had my Trek 5200 carbon fiber bike stolen so I decided to look at what else was available. The 2003 r2000 is a great value and great ride. The retail on both bikes are similar. It is actually lighter than the trek. More importantly is comes with the top of the line Mavic Ksyrium wheels which are much lighter than the ones that come on the Trek. This has made a big difference with me, especially in the hills. I was a little worried about a harsh aluminum frame ride after having the smooth carbon fiber ride. However, there is essentially no difference in ride quality on all my rides except in one section which is VERY rough where, although the ride is not bad, the carbon frame did absorb it better. Although the Trek was fine going down long steep curvy hills, the stiffer r2000 is even better, allowing me to take the turns faster than I really should be. I had no complaints with the Trek but I am glad I tried the r2000 and bought that instead of replacing the Trek.

Purchased At:   lbc