Cannondale R2000 2003 Road Bike

4.94/5 (16 Reviews)

Submitted by Garibaldo a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2006

Strengths:    Light and easy to ride. Absorbs most bumps around London - these are bumpy roads!!!

Weaknesses:    Is not as stiff as thought, but makes up for it in performance allround.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a gret deal!! Looking for a frame and came across this one on ebay. I have ridden many steel frames and a few alu with over size tubes. I am used to the shock some alu frames might give the old backside. But once i put it together with the mavics it deserves and shimano/campag/fsa component mix - i feel like i have a brand new bike. If you see one of these - then buy it. Not the lightest on the street but good quality and value ofr money. Almost a classic. Compared with Colnago, Pinarello and this gave me the best bng for my £ - mainly as Cannondale brande not known too well here a market is flooded with overpriced european frames that are simply not comparable.

Favorite Ride:   This one

SRAM 9spd chain
Maxxis Detonator tires

Submitted by lakingfan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2005

Strengths:    The aluminum frame is very stiff so all of the power from your legs goes right to the road.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
The CAAD 7 is one of the best riding bikes made. The hour glass seat stays buffer much of the road chatter. The aero design of the tubes keep the bike running arrow straight even in strong cross winds.

Favorite Ride:   Cannondale R2000 CAAD 7

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale CAAD 3

Bike Setup:   Easton EC-90 bars, 2004 Sora 8 speed shifters, Weyless carbon stem, Campagnolo hidden headset, Slice Ultra Si carbon fork, 2003 Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL wheels, 2004 Dura Ace 7700 Brakes, Weyless carbon seatpost, Weyless Team carbon cranks, Shimano 747 SPD pedals,
2002 Shimano XT rear derailleur, Shimano XTR 8 speed cassette (12-32) and Shimano RSX front derailleur.

17.5 pounds

Submitted by csh00b a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight, smooth cornering, great wheels. Comfortable ride considering I ride daily (as long as it isn't lightning).

Weaknesses:    Original seat (fizz-whatever). Occasionally I'll get wobble in the front wheel when riding no-handed with the lights on the front (added weight of the lights (700g) and the aero bar (480g) cause this. W/O lights it doesn't wobble.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. I replaced a 1988 Cannondale road bike. Lightweight frame. Bike is about 17 pounds w/o pedals. Put Look A5.1 black pedals (looks great with the black paint job). Put my existing Terry Fly saddle on it and the Profile Design Carbon Stryke Aero Bar. To get the aero bars to fit the oversized handlebar, I turned them around so the hand positions are "together" right in front of the stem. I like it better in that position anyway. I replaced the 53 chain ring with a 52. I've put 6700 miles on it in 15 months. I tuned it up (new cables, lube, etc) after 1 year. It's still running great. Much smoother that the old 'dale. I use the Topeak Moonshine 3H (20W) headlight for night riding (actually have 2 of them on it with a Minoura swing grip). They are just 350 grams apiece with battery - 2 of them are lighter than a lot of other light systems. I am not into racing, but into quality road riding. This bike fills that qualification wonderfully. I would highly recommend it.

Favorite Ride:   Every day!

Purchased At:   Plano Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Old '88 'dale, tested Trek 5200, 'dale 1000.

Bike Setup:   Stock
Terry Fly Saddle
Profile Design Carbon Stryke Aero Bar
Look A5.1 Pedals
Topeak Moonshine 3H Headlights (2)
Minoura Swing Grip
Taillights

Submitted by rrx a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2004

Strengths:    Great bargain for high quality components and frame, even at retail. The wheels alone cost $700+. Sweet ride, CAAD7 is easy to handle

Weaknesses:    Need to upgrade VO2 max and LT. It's not about the bike, ha ha. Oversized 31mm bars can make adding clip-on aerobars a problems.

Bottom Line:
This bike rides like a dream. May not be the stiffest ride around, but CAAD7 frameset is great for absorbing shocks. No more worrying about getting thrown from Cdale when riding over railroad crossings. Wheelset is bombproof and has been a terrific. Black/orange color scheme is cool.

Favorite Ride:   Anything hilly, downhills rock!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Specialized S-works, Giant TCR1, Trek 2500

Bike Setup:   Stock except for 12-27 Dura-ace for the granny gear.

Submitted by Justin Lindsay a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2004

Strengths:    Excellent value
Acceleration/climbing qualities only found with O/S aluminum
No loose fillings at the end of the ride!
Dur-ace rear derailleur a nice touch
Mavic Kysrium SSC wheels!
Killer paint job (orange and black) looks like it’s going 30mph when it’s standing still
Where else can you find a 16lb-road machine for $2k?

Weaknesses:    Cheap-O in house seat post (but it’s worth the trade-off for the Kysrium’s)
Rear brake was initially mushy – fixed with GORE cables
Ultegra shifters not as silky smooth as Dur-ace and have a cheap feel to them
Ultegra front derailleur cage has a cheap look and feel to it but it works fine

Bottom Line:
Over the years I have owned 15+ different steel, aluminum, and carbon road bikes and currently own several road and MTB bikes. I have always been a fan of oversized aluminum bikes due to their performance-oriented characteristics. However, I will be the first to admit that the ride is less than forgiving. Cannondale has changed this with their CAAD 7 frame. On the first ride I kept sprinting out of the saddle in order to remind myself I was on an aluminum machine. I also own a 2001 Saeco Team Replica. On the Team Bike I have to take weight off the saddle while going over railroad tracks, pavement cracks, etc. otherwise I am in danger of being launched off the saddle. The CAAD 7 soaks these up with ease. ( I am 5’11 and 180lbs). The Ultegra components work as well as my Dur-ace equipped bike and the Mavic Kysrium wheels are light and amazingly bombproof. Not sure how C’dale can make any money on this thing considering the wheels retail for $850.00 alone. Bottom line: Cannondale nailed it with this frame, this thing rocks!

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere it isnt raining...

Price Paid:    $1999.00

Purchased At:   Old Town Bicycles -

Similar Products Used:   ’01 Cannondale Saeco Team Replica
Numerous other steel and Carbon road bikes

Bike Setup:   Stock except GORE cables all around and 12-25 Dur-ace ti cassette. Will be replacing the seat post with the new Cinelli carbon post and upgrading the shifters to Dur-ace + a Flight Deck.

2003 CAAD7 R2000 Frame/Fork Value

I have a immaculate 2003 Cannondale CAAD7 frame and carbon fork. Not a blemish on it, only ridden a few hundred miles. Was going to build it up, looking at selling it. I can't find much info on its value? It is 58cm Black with Orange detail. any insight for a starting point guys? ThanksRead More »

FD diam. for 2003 R2000 CAAD7

I need to know the front derraileur clamp size for a 2003 R2000 CAAD7, any ideas? I believe its a 31.8 but I may be way off.Read More »

Which is the Best Deal: 5900 or R2000

I've been looking for a road bike (with all your help). I've got two choices staring at me: 2003 Trek 5900 (Dura Ace set, carbon, MSRP $4,730) with approx 2000 miles put on by a world class triathlete. He used it 1/2 of the 2004 season, before he got a new one for the Olympics. The price is $1950 ... Read More »

Price/availability for the new Six-13 - R2000?

I really like the component mix and frame of the new [URL=http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/cusa/model-5RC2C.html]Six-13 - R2000[/URL] Does anyone have any idea on the pricing and/or availability?Read More »

Cannondale R2000

I am new to road bikes and am looking to buy one pretty quick. I was looking at the new R2000, but I came across a used one for a little less. I was wondering what the differences were between the 2004s and the used one I found which I believe is a 2001. I searched the forum archives and was uable t ... Read More »