Cannondale R3000 2003 Road Bike

4.9/5 (10 Reviews)

Submitted by RMR a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2005

Strengths:    - Wonderfully neutral handling
- Frame is torsionally stiff, yet has good vertical compliance
- Not a single quirk or peculiarity
- Light (56 cm is 16.1 lbs, no pedals)
- Great components
- Looks modern, yet slightly classic and elegant
- 1 cm size increments, although odd-numbered frames are special-order items.

Weaknesses:    - Thin tubes dent easily, but no worse than those of any competitor

Bottom Line:
No quirks and no surprises, just a great, neutral bike.

I test-rode several bikes and only the Cannondale was without any peculiarities. Some had slightly quicker steering, but were nervous at speed; others used heavily sloped top tubes and long carbon posts to achieve more vibration damping, but the lack of damping in the frame made cornering sketchy; and the list goes on. The R3000 (and an R2000) immediately felt right and only got better as I spent more time on it.

The frame is, as you'd expect, very torsionally stiff, yet was more comfortable than other aluminum frames, even ones that had tremendous lengths of flexible carbon seatpost exposed or weren't using super-stiff Ksyrium wheelsets (very stiff). For those who are curious, yes, I did use a standard tire pressure for all tests.

Handling is simply outstanding. Quick, but reasonably stable, with a very neutral and balanced feel up to ridiculous lean angles.

The components are well chosen and all worthy of such a high-end bike, with no "hidden" downspecs (BB, cassette, seatpost, headset, etc.) - it even came with 45g tubes! The fork may be a "house brand" item, but it's light, made by Time, and seemed to be as good as anything out there. Not a single component was a disappointment - quite the opposite, I was extremely pleased with all of them.

Fit was almost perfect for me. Cannondale's top tubes are slightly short for a given seat tube length when compared to some other companies, but my arms are about 1 cm short for my height, so that works for me.

Finally, the bike just looks good. The horizontal top tube is classic and elegant, the seatstays curve gracefully, the tubes have pleasantly varied cross-sections, and the brushed raw finish is very tasteful.

Note that my value rating is low because the R2000 is almost as good, but considerably cheaper. I only went with the R3000 because I got it for such a good price.

Favorite Ride:   Highway 66 near Bragg Creek

Purchased At:   Bow Cycle (Calgary,

Similar Products Used:   Tested numerous comparable bikes with aluminum or aluminum/carbon frames.

Bike Setup:   When I had the R3000, it was fully stock. Not a single change was needed.

Submitted by inflight510 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2004

Strengths:    light and stiff. great componentry combination except for the bottom bracket. I love the wheels but only have CXP22's to compare it to.

Weaknesses:    Bottom bracket. It's delicate and the right lockring was easily damaged because it was way tight and tough to remove. It was not installed with anti-seize is my guess.

Bottom Line:
Very stiff bike yet floats over bumps and has a great power transfer. I don't experience resonating road vibration on this bike. I think the Ksyriums SLs have alot to do with the smooth ride. Geometry fits me very well. Got rid of the set-back seatpost.

Favorite Ride:   Vaires, Hills, flats, 50-100 miles

Bike Setup:   swithed out seat, seat post, stem and bars.

Submitted by Bartape1 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2004

Strengths:    Craftmanship, components, speed! I purchased the bike just before Cannondale publicly announced its financial trouble, so I got it for a great price.

Weaknesses:    Too many Cannondale stickers but other than that none so far, the bike has handled beautifully! I hope the frame lasts, as I am no Gilberto Simoni, ie. small rider!

Bottom Line:
As I mentioned, I purchased this bike before the Cannondale financial switch so I got it for a great price. This is my second road bike and I wanted to go all out. Cannondale is a good company that makes great bikes! This fact, coupled with the price is I chose this bike. I was a little aprehensive about the wheels but as others have mentioned and experienced the Ksyrium wheels are bomb-proof! I have ridden multiple centeries and while the overall ride can be harsh, the speed and power it can produce is worth every bump in the rear. I am about 200 lbs, so my only concern is how long will the frame last! I ride hard but take very good care of my bikes, so we will see what happens! The bike is wonderful! I gave it a 4 for value as its regular price is a little steep. I then gave it a 5 for an overall rating!

Favorite Ride:   Any with hills!

Purchased At:   Tony's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Xenith, KHS Flight 2000, Litespeed Tuscany, Trek 5500

Bike Setup:   Dura Ace drivetrain/shifters/brakes, SPD-SL pedals, Mavic Ksyrium wheeels, IRD Metawire cable housing, Vetta wireless computer.

Submitted by vit a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2003

Strengths:    Handling!, Weight!, Ksyrium SL's! Dura-Ace, Time Fork!

Weaknesses:    None so far - perhaps the saddle but that's a personal thing. I just hope it lasts as long as my first C'dale!

Bottom Line:
So, I finally decided to update my road bike, an '86 vintage, low serial number, C-Dale R600 with a steel fork, 6 cluster, downtube shifters, etc.... Ah what memories! And am I glad I did; since getting the R3000, I haven't looked back.

This bike has a perfect balance of strength, compliance, and handling at a ridiculously low weight. Of particular note is the Mavic wheelset and Dura-Ace spec, an excellent package. Personally, I like the burnished alunimium finish. Kudos to C'dale!

As for the R600 - it's been demoted to rollers and bad weather....

Favorite Ride:   Hamilton 2003 Worlds course