EPX 303 - Dura-Ace 2003 Road Bike

4.83/5 (12 Reviews)

Submitted by Ungava

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2012

Strengths:    I purchased this bike 12 years ago and have 40,000KM on it. It has been a total pleasure. Quick, light and smooth Dura-Ace gears. I know it's Australian and they were in Canada only a couple years. I remember being told the frame was made my Look but I can't confirm anything. It's just a great bike and was worth every penny.

Weaknesses:    Could have come with carbon handlebars

Bottom Line:
Just a great bike

Submitted by George Small a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2011

Strengths:    Strengths: Strong, lightweight bike (17.5 lbs). Yellow is a great looking color. It looks especially good in Vredestein tires with yellow sidewalls and black bottle cages.

Weaknesses:    EPX is no longer there to support the fine product any more.

Bottom Line:
I purchased my 303 in 2000 from now-defunct Supergo.com. It came with Shimano 105 throughout. It is the only carbon frame I have ever owned and am very pleased with it. I have recently discovered a frozen seat post issue and the pity is I cannot send it back to EPX for service as they are no longer in business. After a week of frustrating self-service, I am going to "bite the bullet" and let my local service guy perform the "seat post-ectomy". All in all, a very nice bike. If you are not afraid of "off branded" bikes, EPX is a good choice, especially if you have carbon bike tastes and department store bike budget. I made the plunge and 11 years later the bike is still pretty much like new.

Favorite Ride:   EPX 303

Purchased At:   Supergo.Com

Bike Setup:   62cm frame with 10-speed Ultegra deraileurs, 105 brakes and FSA Carboon cranks. Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp tires mounted on Mavic Cosmos wheelset

Submitted by johnny99 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight and fast. Very smooth ride. Clearcoat carbon weave finish is beautiful.

Weaknesses:    Slightly more flexy than my old welded aluminum frame.

Bottom Line:
I bought a EPX303SL frame off of EBay for $700 (including full carbon fork). This is a 2.5 pound version of the EPX303 frame (half pound lighter). This is a real sweet frame, every bit the equal of the Trek OCLV that I test rode (my 2nd choice), but at a much lower price.

Favorite Ride:   Page Mill Road, Palo Alto, CA

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   Trek 5200, Giant Composite, Kestrel Talon

Bike Setup:   Mostly Dura-Ace components. Cane Creek wheels.

Submitted by Bill of SantaCruz a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2004

Strengths:    Ride Quality is very smooth.
Very reasonable price for Carbon.
Same frame as the Supergo Scattante Carbon which is an editor's choice bicycle.

Weaknesses:    The clear coat over the carbon fork and seat stays are developing bubbles. Don't know if this will affect the integrity of the frame.

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent bike. I found this EPX bike on eBay used for a great price. The seller was sponsored and let it go for a steal. The fit is very good. The ride quality is even better than my LOOK KG461. The Shimano Dura Ace is a legendary product and doesn't let down on its reputation as a solid all around component group. Great shifting, braking, and very light weight.
The frame handles very nicely on descents--so far up to 36 mph (don't believe those reviewers claiming 50mph+, you're F.O.S.). The bottom bracket does not flex under out-of-saddle climbing.
Wish I found this deal before my LOOK.

Favorite Ride:   Hazel Dell, Corralitos CA

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   LOOK KG461, Cannondale CAAD3,

Bike Setup:   Full Dura Ace 9spd, Thompson post, Selle Italia Turbomatic 4, Speedplay Zero, Formula Xero wheelset,Schwalbe Stelvio tires, Ritchey Pro stem.

Submitted by DavidBOD a Recreational Rider from Houston

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2003

Strengths:    Build quality, Paint job, Replaceable rear dropouts, Excellent light carbon fork and stiff (I weigh about 210).

Weaknesses:    None with the Frame or Fork. Being new it took a while to get it, and EPX still don't have any information on their main website.

Bottom Line:
My previous ride is a steel is real 85' Trek 770 with Campy SuperRecord. I was lusting after a new Trek 5500 and then 5900 when a friend of mine bought an EPX 303. After checking his out I decided to go for an EPX 303 and was looking for one of the incredibly discounted deals on the internet when I came across EPX's new 303 SL on the interbike pages.
This is the exact same frame as the EPX 303 but uses lighter carbon in the same way Trek has gone from 5500 to 5900. Weight wise it falls between a 5500 and 5900 but closer to the 5900. The fork is carbon legs and steerer with an aluminum crown. I paid full price and I think quality and performance wise it is the best carbon frame/fork you can buy for the money. As for the ride, on the first 60+ mile charity ride we turned onto a road that had been stripped ready for new asphalte to be put down (very rough). I was able to comfortably hold a 20+ mph pace where on my steel bike there is no way I could have held that pace without being bounced off.

Favorite Ride:   Any of the good hilly rides passing through Frelsburg or New Ulm WNW of Houston

Purchased At:   Cambria Bike

Similar Products Used:   This is my first carbon frame and fork.

Bike Setup:   EPX 303 SL, Dura Ace, Deda Newton 31.7 bar and stem, Deda Black Stick carbon post, Flite Trans Am saddle, Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL wheels, Pro-Race tires and Speedplay Zero pedals.

Zipp 303 rebuild

How hard is it to rebuild the hubs on my 303's, its about that time to do it.Read More »

Zipp 303 Firecrests do weird things.

Situation: Wife has set of 2 year old 303 FC. She barely would ride them. She complained of feeling like she was going to crash when descending at higher speeds, say above 30-35mph. I called BS, even though I knew she was feeling something weird, but wasn't going to attribute it to the wheel. Bac ... Read More »

Zipp 303/404 combo

I am not interested in other brands of wheels or going aluminum. I want a set of Carbon Clinchers to add to my stable. I have a good set of Aluminum wheels and this purchase is a treat to myself for my current Army deployment. I am a huge ZIPP fan after riding several sets. I ride daily, group ri ... Read More »

Zipp 303 Firecrest Carbon Clincher or Mavic Cosmic Carbone 40c ?

I really can't decide on purchasing the Zipp 303 Firecrest Carbon Clincher or Mavic Cosmic Carbone 40c. I can purchase either set for just about the same price with the REI coupon out right now. Anyways, I live in the North Georgia Mountains where a 20+% grade is not uncommon on many many roads ... Read More »

Zipp 202,303,404 deal

Texas Cycle sport has $930 off Zipp 202,303, or 404. Use code: Zippy [url=http://www.texascyclesport.com/zipp-factory-road-wheelsets/]Wheels & Wheelsets - Factory Road Wheelsets - Zipp Factory Road Wheelsets - Texas Cyclesport[/url]Read More »