EPX 303 - Dura-Ace 2003 Road Bike

4.83/5 (12 Reviews)

Submitted by Ungava

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2012

Strengths:    I purchased this bike 12 years ago and have 40,000KM on it. It has been a total pleasure. Quick, light and smooth Dura-Ace gears. I know it's Australian and they were in Canada only a couple years. I remember being told the frame was made my Look but I can't confirm anything. It's just a great bike and was worth every penny.

Weaknesses:    Could have come with carbon handlebars

Bottom Line:
Just a great bike

Submitted by George Small a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2011

Strengths:    Strengths: Strong, lightweight bike (17.5 lbs). Yellow is a great looking color. It looks especially good in Vredestein tires with yellow sidewalls and black bottle cages.

Weaknesses:    EPX is no longer there to support the fine product any more.

Bottom Line:
I purchased my 303 in 2000 from now-defunct Supergo.com. It came with Shimano 105 throughout. It is the only carbon frame I have ever owned and am very pleased with it. I have recently discovered a frozen seat post issue and the pity is I cannot send it back to EPX for service as they are no longer in business. After a week of frustrating self-service, I am going to "bite the bullet" and let my local service guy perform the "seat post-ectomy". All in all, a very nice bike. If you are not afraid of "off branded" bikes, EPX is a good choice, especially if you have carbon bike tastes and department store bike budget. I made the plunge and 11 years later the bike is still pretty much like new.

Favorite Ride:   EPX 303

Purchased At:   Supergo.Com

Bike Setup:   62cm frame with 10-speed Ultegra deraileurs, 105 brakes and FSA Carboon cranks. Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp tires mounted on Mavic Cosmos wheelset

Submitted by johnny99 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight and fast. Very smooth ride. Clearcoat carbon weave finish is beautiful.

Weaknesses:    Slightly more flexy than my old welded aluminum frame.

Bottom Line:
I bought a EPX303SL frame off of EBay for $700 (including full carbon fork). This is a 2.5 pound version of the EPX303 frame (half pound lighter). This is a real sweet frame, every bit the equal of the Trek OCLV that I test rode (my 2nd choice), but at a much lower price.

Favorite Ride:   Page Mill Road, Palo Alto, CA

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   Trek 5200, Giant Composite, Kestrel Talon

Bike Setup:   Mostly Dura-Ace components. Cane Creek wheels.

Submitted by Bill of SantaCruz a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2004

Strengths:    Ride Quality is very smooth.
Very reasonable price for Carbon.
Same frame as the Supergo Scattante Carbon which is an editor's choice bicycle.

Weaknesses:    The clear coat over the carbon fork and seat stays are developing bubbles. Don't know if this will affect the integrity of the frame.

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent bike. I found this EPX bike on eBay used for a great price. The seller was sponsored and let it go for a steal. The fit is very good. The ride quality is even better than my LOOK KG461. The Shimano Dura Ace is a legendary product and doesn't let down on its reputation as a solid all around component group. Great shifting, braking, and very light weight.
The frame handles very nicely on descents--so far up to 36 mph (don't believe those reviewers claiming 50mph+, you're F.O.S.). The bottom bracket does not flex under out-of-saddle climbing.
Wish I found this deal before my LOOK.

Favorite Ride:   Hazel Dell, Corralitos CA

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   LOOK KG461, Cannondale CAAD3,

Bike Setup:   Full Dura Ace 9spd, Thompson post, Selle Italia Turbomatic 4, Speedplay Zero, Formula Xero wheelset,Schwalbe Stelvio tires, Ritchey Pro stem.

Submitted by DavidBOD a Recreational Rider from Houston

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2003

Strengths:    Build quality, Paint job, Replaceable rear dropouts, Excellent light carbon fork and stiff (I weigh about 210).

Weaknesses:    None with the Frame or Fork. Being new it took a while to get it, and EPX still don't have any information on their main website.

Bottom Line:
My previous ride is a steel is real 85' Trek 770 with Campy SuperRecord. I was lusting after a new Trek 5500 and then 5900 when a friend of mine bought an EPX 303. After checking his out I decided to go for an EPX 303 and was looking for one of the incredibly discounted deals on the internet when I came across EPX's new 303 SL on the interbike pages.
This is the exact same frame as the EPX 303 but uses lighter carbon in the same way Trek has gone from 5500 to 5900. Weight wise it falls between a 5500 and 5900 but closer to the 5900. The fork is carbon legs and steerer with an aluminum crown. I paid full price and I think quality and performance wise it is the best carbon frame/fork you can buy for the money. As for the ride, on the first 60+ mile charity ride we turned onto a road that had been stripped ready for new asphalte to be put down (very rough). I was able to comfortably hold a 20+ mph pace where on my steel bike there is no way I could have held that pace without being bounced off.

Favorite Ride:   Any of the good hilly rides passing through Frelsburg or New Ulm WNW of Houston

Purchased At:   Cambria Bike

Similar Products Used:   This is my first carbon frame and fork.

Bike Setup:   EPX 303 SL, Dura Ace, Deda Newton 31.7 bar and stem, Deda Black Stick carbon post, Flite Trans Am saddle, Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL wheels, Pro-Race tires and Speedplay Zero pedals.

Zipp Firecrest 303's

I came across a set of brand new Zipp Firecrest 303 clinchers on craigslist for $1,000. Looking on eBay, it seems like I could sell them for a profit but I just wanted to get some opinions from the wheel forum before I make any major financial mistakes. Is there anything that makes these wheels un ... Read More »

Zipp 202 or 303 FC for NYC and surrounding areas

I'm deciding between the Zipp 202 and 303 as my do-it-all-one-and-only wheelset. I'm currently running a pair of EC90 SLs, but the front gets a bit twitchy in x-winds. NYC isn't particularly hilly, but I do venture up to Bear Mountain occasionally. For riding in/around NYC, would the 202 or 303 b ... Read More »

Zipp FC 303 hub problems

I've had Zipp FC 303 clinchers for a year now, and "dialing in" the hubs is a constant annoyance. I have even thought about swapping the hubs out for something else... When the rear hub is loose enough so that the cassette wont spin when coasting, the wheel has what feels like too much play. Tighten ... Read More »

R3 + Zipp 303's -- tire recommendation?

Wondering if anyone has experience with this combo? Looking for the widest tire I can reasonably run. Currently running Conti Gatorskin 25's on RS80's with no problem. (And will keep this combo for my favorite local hilly/unpaved routes). Just picked up a pair of 303's for longer, flatter, straight ... Read More »

Speed wobble with Zipp 303/tangente tire.. causes??

Hey all, I've been riding on some a Zipp 303 tubular (front) for the last year or so, and recently at speeds above ~25mph , the wheel starts to wobble around a bit. Granted I don't hold speeds like that for long, but on long descents or during a sprint it just feels incredibly unstable. So my questi ... Read More »