Giant OCR 2 2003 Road Bike

4.39/5 (23 Reviews)

Submitted by NABE a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2011

Strengths:    Climbing hills.

Weaknesses:    Seat blows.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike as an in between bike as I decide to buy another one and I LOVE this bike!! Easy doing hills, easy to service, saddle is a bit hard but can be easily solve. Gears change nicely and without concern.

Favorite Ride:   ANYWHERE

Purchased At:   Cycle Circle

Submitted by oAoP a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2008

Strengths:    Value
Climbing
Weight
Handling

Weaknesses:    Brake Pads
Squeaky Headset or seat (if they get at all loose)

Bottom Line:
Excellent starter bike. The frame is light compared to most cheap road bikes, and the carbon fork helps smooth the ride (a bit!). The gear ratios provide ample range for steep grades either up or downhill. The handling is great, even at high speeds. The Compact Road design makes this bike easier to fit in a car's trunk or van.

One weakness is in the brake pads--they tend to bite the rim if they get dirty at all, and start taking metal out of it. Getting them replaced is cheap, and there isn't much trouble after.

This bike is more conducive to an upright, non-racing body position---a tight tuck can be fatiguing. That said, I've raced this bike and passed and challenged racers with bikes over twice the price of mine, and it wasn't just me. It's great for long rides; I've done 5+ hour rides on this with only a few breaks. Overall: excellent value.

Favorite Ride:   Alpine Loop or Utah Lake Loop

Purchased At:   Taylor's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   2000 Lemond Tet de Course

Submitted by derricks a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2008

Strengths:    Fast, light, good price, best components for the price on a bike.

Weaknesses:    Brakes, when taking off a tire, you have to deflate it, to pass the brakes.

Bottom Line:
The day after I got this bike I rode 100km. It was a vast improvement over my old bike. Climbs hills nicely.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere

Similar Products Used:   ----

Bike Setup:   Apparently the Canadian version of the 08 OCR2 is better it has tiagra components instead of the sora, and it has a 105 derailleur in the back instead of the tiagra.

Submitted by Kevin Ferguson a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2008

Strengths:    Rack compatible, fast and smooth shifting.

Weaknesses:    Not fender compatible and tires are poor. I have had many flats until I put the armadillo's on.

Bottom Line:
I started commuting to work and needed a road bike rather than my hybrid. I commute 20 miles one way and bought an OCR2. It is a fast bike with great shifting. I run in the hihest gears because I have to get to work - 50 minutes! It is fun passing the "dressed up" cyclists. I wear a bathing suit, reflective vest and old tennis shoes.

Favorite Ride:   Commuter

Purchased At:   Private

Similar Products Used:   CAAD 9, Synapse 3

Submitted by BikeLV702 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2008

Strengths:    Great bike to start with.

Weaknesses:    It is a beginner bike and the saddle sucks among other stock parts. With a little upgrading the bike should be perfect.

Bottom Line:
Absolutely love this bike. I was between the LeMond Estage and the Trek but finally settled with the OCR2. This bike is dream on wheels for a beginner. It is a touch hevy and the saddle blows balls but that is easily fixed.

I have only had the bike for a couple rides but so far no problems to speak of. Real smooth ride and easy to use. Sounds stupid that a bike is easy to use but for beginner it makes a difference.

I highly recommend this bike to all beginners.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere New

Purchased At:   JT's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Never really had a road bike, just mountain.

Bike Setup:   Stock for the moment

Giant OCR 2 2006 or New GT GTR 4 series.

Hi, My name is Estevan & I'm new to cycling. I have been reading a lot of info about bikes and looking around at different bikes being sold used or within my budget which is 600-700$. The 2 bikes I've ran across that I'm interested at the moment are the GTR 4 series and the Giant OCR 2. The (new)GTR ... Read More »

First Bike, OCR 2?

Hey everyone! My name is Tim and I'm getting into cycling. I've been searching around for a good deal on used bikes. Ive mainly been searching for the following models Trek 1000 Fuji Newest Giant OCR I'm a college student, so needless to say I'm on a budget. These bikes purchased used seems to ran ... Read More »

Giant OCR 2 vs Specialized Dolce Comp

Hi, I am a new biker and am mostly interested in weekend riding and the occasional 50+ mile rides. I am trying to buy a used bike and have found a Giant OCR2 and a Specialized Dolce Comp. I am leaning toward the Specialized, but I have read the Giant is a more relaxed ride and can have a bi ... Read More »

2003 OCR 2 headset removal

Does anyone have a link or video showing the removal of the headset/stem on this bike? I bought the frame for $50 from a guy down the street to use as a rain/bad weather bike but I am trying to remove the headset & am having some difficulty. Any links would be greatly appreciated.Read More »

Used 2001 Giant OCR 2 for $350?

Used 2001 Giant OCR 2 for $350? How does that deal sound to you guys? Should I take it or leave it?Read More »