Giant TCR Elite 1 2003 Road Bike

Submitted by Max a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2003

Strengths:    Light,Nimble,Fast.Very good looks.A little over 19 lbs (55cm) minus reflectors.Super components for this price.

Weaknesses:    Italia saddle made me sorry I bought this bike initially. Swapped it for a Laser V. Major improvement .Giant's OCR 2 comes with a stock saddle, much cushier than the more expensive Italia, also.

Bottom Line:
Got a really good deal on this bike from the fine staff at Westchester Wheels.I was looking for something quicker than my steel frame Raleigh, without giving up too much in comfort.I ride primarily for fitness, and 45 minutes to an hour on this bike is an enjoyable workout.

Favorite Ride:   Salt Creek , and Lake Front

Purchased At:   Westchester Wheels

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh Super Record,Miyata 912,Jamis Qwest, Cannondale and Trek

Bike Setup:   Full Ultegra,Campy Super Record Seat Post,WTB Laser V saddle,Peddles with toe clips.

Submitted by chainring a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2003

Strengths:    The ride and handling are it's main strengths. The components and overall quality for the money can't be beat.

Weaknesses:    The brake pads are way to soft. I've been on steep decents where I didn't think I could stop at the end. I'll swap them out. The 700 by 25 tires are a little spongey but I'm getting use to the ride.

Bottom Line:
I ended up with this bike because of my hard to fit biuld. I have very long legs and arms with a very short torso. The relaxed fit of the elite fit me to a T. The fact that the carbon fork and rear triangle softened up the ride were a big plus. Our rides are usually 20 to 35 miles and the comfort level throughout the ride is something I've never experienced before. For all its comfort the response and cornering are top notch. The elite is so lite that the exceleration is quick and it climbs like a goat. I love this bike.

Favorite Ride:   CT. river valley starting in Ellington

Purchased At:   Mountain City Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Gunner steel, 105 componets.

Bike Setup:   The elite comes with ultegra group and Mavic wheels and hubs. Giant carbon fork, seat post, stem, and rear triangle. The aluminum frame is the same as the regular TCR. The only thing I don't like about the components is the triple ring.