LeMond Bicycles Buenos Aires 2003 Road Bike

4.61/5 (18 Reviews)

Submitted by Tim a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2011

Strengths:    Climbing, long rides, comfort, handling, sprinting, adaptability.

Weaknesses:    No longer made.

Bottom Line:
Out of all the road bikes I've ever owned this one is by far my favorite. The steel frame is stiff yet forgiving. It's geometry is second to none (for me), and it doesn't weight alot (compared to its peers). I seriously can't say enough good things about this bike, it's been a rock star from road races to the mountains to aero triathlons.

Favorite Ride:   Climbing

Purchased At:   SBC, Harrisonburg, V

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi, Specialized, Giant, Trek

Bike Setup:   It's now been converted to a fixie - still my favorite bike to ride.

Submitted by lonesomesteve a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2008

Strengths:    Comfort, handling and nice components as described above. I would also expect a quality steel frame like this to last for many years.

Weaknesses:    While it’s not a big issue to me, my LeMond is hardly the lightest bike on the road. I don’t have a super accurate scale, but it seems to be about 20 lbs. Spend a couple thousand on lighter components if you want to shed some weight, or just skip a few meals and ride more. :)

Bottom Line:
I used to do a lot of mountain biking and I’ve been a year-round commuter for many years, but I’m pretty new to serious road riding. The LeMond Buenos Aires is my first “serious” road bike in over 20 years so take my opinion for what it’s worth.

I bought my BA used on eBay. Supposedly it had only about 250 miles on it when I got it. I’ve added another 750 or so in the two months I’ve had it including two century rides. So far my impressions are:

Comfort – My commuter bike is a Bianchi Volpe. With its bombproof steel frame it’s supposed to be my solid, comfortable, cushy, Cadillac-style ride. But the LeMond actually feels smoother and more stable despite the fact that the Bianchi outweighs it by 3 – 4 pounds. The steel frame does a great job of absorbing vibration, yet it still feels fairly light and lively. Geometry is a personal thing, but the BA’s geometry works perfectly for me. With a slightly longer top tube, I’ve heard that LeMond geometry is best suited for people with relatively shorter legs/longer body (which unfortunately describes me pretty well).

Handling – Above I mentioned smooth and stable, but it’s not at the cost of responsiveness. The BA seems to love diving into corners. It’s not twitchy, but it responds quickly in a very predictable way. On descents the BA tracks smooth and straight and inspires confidence. I’ve never experienced any high-speed wobbles, and I’ve had it well over 40 mph a couple of times.

Nice Components – Full Ultegra except for a 105 bottom bracket. Shifting is flawless and much smoother and quicker than on my Tiagra equipped Bianchi. The saddle is the only thing that needed to change.

I did test rides on bikes that were both lighter and stiffer than the BA. While they may climb and accelerate a little better, I’d much rather be on my BA for any ride longer than 40 - 50 miles. In the long run, comfort = speed.

Favorite Ride:   lonesomesteve@gmail.com

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi Volpe (my commuter). Also test rode Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3, Cannondale R1000, Bianchi Veloce, LeMond Chantery, LeMond Alpe d' Huez, LeMond Sarthe.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for saddle.

Submitted by pilotscott a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2004

Strengths:    Well made steel frame
Full Ultegra group.
Price

Weaknesses:    Saddle (too soft)
Seat post (hard to adjust and heavy)

Bottom Line:
Purchased from ebay. I was a little hesitant, but the bike arrive with no sign of use -- like new. Mine had full Ultegra. I swapped the saddle for a terry fly, and put on Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL pedals. Great bike. I can outsprint my friends on lighter (slightly) aluminum bikes and can always outlast them with the smooth steel ride. Hated to see this frame go for 2004.

Favorite Ride:   One that stops at the donut shop

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Simonci frame
Various mountain bikes

Bike Setup:   Stock with Ultegra SPD-SL R600 pedal, Terry fly saddle, Specialized Bar Phat under tape.

Submitted by fishinbill a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2004

Strengths:    Steel frame, geometry.

Weaknesses:    Stock saddle, unexciting paint scheme (the '04s look even worse to me.)

Bottom Line:
I am 6' 5" and more of my height is in my upper body, which is why I was originally drawn to the LeMond geometry. I am also a diehard fan of steel frames. I love this bike and have riden it for about 1500 miles. It is smooth and responsive. Like others, I have swapped out the stock saddle for a San Marco. I have also added a set of aero bars. For the money, the BA is a great value. I know folks who spent quite a bit more to get an equivalent bike.

Favorite Ride:   Concord & Carlisle MA

Purchased At:   Belmont Wheelworks

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale

Bike Setup:   San Marco Trigel saddle, Profile Design aero bars, Specialized computer. Everything else stock.

Submitted by Faceplant a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2004

Strengths:    Shimano Ultegra group. Smooth ride.

Weaknesses:    Paint scheme. Saddle.

Bottom Line:
Great bike if you like stretched out geometry, it inspires confidence to ride fast! Smooth, stable at speed. Light weight for steel frame. Great components. Crappy saddle.

Favorite Ride:   all of them