LeMond Bicycles Tourmalet 2003 Road Bike

4.83/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by chess a Commuter

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2010

Strengths:    I liked the fact that the handlebars were wider than other bikes I tested and the handlebar stem placed the bars far forward enough that there is room for my knees when standing to pedal. I used this bike to complete 4 of the 5 double centuries I attempted.

Weaknesses:    After riding the bike for 6-1/2 years, and riding almost 15,000 miles, the aluminum steering tube snapped 3" from the top, right under the handlebar stem, leaving me holding onto the handlebars but having no steering control or upper body weight support. I'm still recovering from the crash. W_A_R_N_I_N_G: IF YOU RIDE AN OLDER BIKE WITH ALUMINUM COMPONENTS, CHECK THOSE PARTS PERIODICALLY FOR CRACKS B4 THEY CATASTROPHICALLY FAIL DURING A RIDE.

Bottom Line:
The 2003 Lemond Tourmalet was the best value I could find for the money in a bike that came close to fitting me. I am 6' 6" and 230 pounds. I bought the 61cm size of the Reynolds 853 steel frame, the largest they offered. It was still a bit too small, as I had to put the seat post up quite high to get proper leg extension.

Favorite Ride:   Santa Ana River trail to the beach

Purchased At:   Jax's Bicycle Center

Bike Setup:   This bike has a triple ring crank to help with steep hills. I added aerobars, lights, clipless pedals, removable seat post mounted luggage bag, dual water bottle cages, Shimano computer, upgraded to bulletproof Mavic Aksium wheels,

Submitted by m sigg a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2009

Strengths:    The ride

Weaknesses:    Frame - none at all

Bottom Line:
Love the frame, replaced everything, upgraded to full Ultegra. Paint faded, decals were cheesy so it was custom paint (British Green to Moondust fade) all decals removed and not replaced. Brooks seat, Brooks leather bar wrap, Phil Wood wheels. Expensive project and worth evey penny!

Purchased At:   Dales, Oberlin

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh, Cannondale, Trek, Giant

Bike Setup:   Brooks seat, Phil Wood wheels, full Ultegra components, Jenn Green Headbadge

Submitted by dfyancey a Recreational Rider from Kalamazoo, MI

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2003

Strengths:    The ride of the steel frame and the slick paint job. The 105 derauler is a bonus.

Weaknesses:    The brakes and pedals. Maybe the saddle, but I haven't got it broken in yet.

Bottom Line:
This bike was the best I could find for the money. In the end it was between the Lemond and a Trek 1200. The ride of the Lemond was superb and could not be matched by the Trek. This bike is perfect for riders who are looking in the 1000 dollar price range. I researched or rode almost every bike in this price range and higher and this bike beat every one.

Favorite Ride:   Around Gull Lake

Purchased At:   Breakaway Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Trek 1200, KHS Flite 500, Cannondale R800 and R600, and Specialized Allez Elite.

Bike Setup:   Stock with a triple chainring plus a Specialized computer. Haven't got to upgrading the pedals yet.

Submitted by cthulhu a Commuter from Winchester MA

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2003

Strengths:    Excellent frame. Well-chosen components make it a good buy for economy-minded riders.

Weaknesses:    I hate the decals. They feel like I can peel them off. Just assume you're going to replace the pedals.

Bottom Line:
Very smooth and quiet ride. Rode it this weekend in Vermont and went sailing down a long hill. Didn't realize I was going in excess of 40 MPH until I looked at the computer. Comfortable on the long uphills. Love the STI shifters and brakes, a big upgrade for me. No noticable flex when cranking up hills.

Favorite Ride:   Winchester-Belmont-Waltham-Lincoln-Concord-Bedford-Lexington-Woburn-Winchester loop

Purchased At:   Cycle Loft

Similar Products Used:   Old bike was a 15-year-old $220 Nashbar road bike. The similarity ends there.

Bike Setup:   Selle Italia saddle, Speedplay pedals, otherwise stock.

Submitted by Jeff a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2003

Strengths:    Reynolds 853/525 frame and carbon fiber fork, which are an unbeatable value for the price. If you take care of paint chips, the frame will last a lifetime. Very comfortable geometry for me. Shimano 105 rear derailler is smooth and efficient. 1 1/8’’ Aheadset and 3TTT stem. Sexy looks; the bike just looks fast.

Weaknesses:    Not many at this price point. The durability of the paint is questionable. Seat is a little uncomfortable. If you want to loose some weight, replace the crankset and wheels first. Go for all 105 or Ultegra if you want to race. Some people may not like the shameless profusion of Lemond logos all over the bike.

Bottom Line:
This is THE bike to buy if you are looking for very smooth riding steel bike that can be upgraded to racing specs. The Reynolds double-butted 853/525 frame could be the best performing steel frame for the money. At this price point, most other manufacturers use double-butted Italian steel or Reynolds 520 steel, which are heavier and less stiff. I purchased this bike as a replacement for my 01 Cannondale H400 hybrid. I loved the Cannodale’s craftsmanship, but after riding on a Schwinn hybrid with a Reynolds 500 frame(yes, the cheap stuff)for several years, I just couldn’t tolerate the CAAD2’s harsh ride quality. I exhaustively researched almost every $1000 road bike on the market and test road bikes from several brands. I found a local bike dealer that had the Tourmalet on sale for $930 and my life hasn’t been the same since.

Purchased At:   Scheels

Similar Products Used:   Specialize Allez Sport, Lemond Zurich, Trek 1200, Raleigh Grand Prix, I really wanted to try the Jamis Ventura.

Bike Setup:   All stock. I plan to replace the pedals with some Speedplays pretty soon.

What's a Lemond Tourmalet worth?

Found a used 2007 lemond Tourmalet frame/fork in good condition. Any idea what one of these is worth?Read More »

Great photo from the Col du Tourmalet

This was originally posted by 'rustybucket' in the PodiumGirls forum but thought it was worth reposting here. Hope its not too racy. I think its seriously crazy that these guys have to race right alongside these screaming lunatics. [ATTACH]206555[/ATTACH]Read More »

Stage 17: Pau to Col du Tourmalet - 174km

It all comes down to this. Well, not really. There is still the small matter of the ITT, and ,to a lesser extent, the final two sprint stages. But this is what could decide the podium. Sorta. This tour has been anything but the expected, so making a prediction for this stage is rather tough. Wh ... Read More »

Col du Tourmalet climb is in Google streetview high res...

[font=verdana]There are lots of other great climbs (all over europe) in google's streetview... but this amoung the first one's I've stumbled across in the newer high res. It's pretty cool. I'd like to adapt a transducer to my trainer (normal wheel speed sensor would probably do) that I could use ... Read More »

Tour organizers have flattened the Tourmalet.

Putting the big mountains so far from the finish effectively takes them out of the race, turning the stage into a group sprint. Ho hum.Read More »