Look KG 461 2003 Road Bike

4.64/5 (14 Reviews)

Submitted by alfa011 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2010

Strengths:    Relatively light, comfortable, stiff enough for my needs.

Weaknesses:    None. Wish it was red instead of blue. But it was only available in blue. Still, very nice blue color.

Bottom Line:
My first carbon bike. Bought the frame @ eBay. Amazed how smooth it is. I normally use a 51-52cm frame but bought it in 53cm and works anf feels like a gem. Can be riding it for hours. Traditional geometry. With all the Look carbon components looks beautiful. Take a "look" of it on Velospace.org as: "La Vie Est Bleu" ( http://velospace.org/node/25515 )

Favorite Ride:   State road 187

Purchased At:   eBay on 2007

Similar Products Used:   Have not had a carbon bike before. My next one will be a BMC SLT01. Frame safely tucked under my bed waiting for my available time to assemble it.

Bike Setup:   Look carbon handlebars
Look carbon stem
Look carbon crank
ROTOR crank rings
Look carbon Ti seatpost
Look carbon bottle holders
Dura Ace shift/brake levers
Dura Ace front and rear shifters
Zero Gravity Ti brake calipers
Serfas RX saddle (for comfort)
DT Swiss 1450 wheels
Dura Ace PD-7410 pedals
Michelin tires
All bolts and screws (frame & derailleurs) upgraded with titanium.

Submitted by Jimmy nix a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2010

Strengths:    All around good bike , climbing sprinting this bike has it all.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
Had this bike for 8 years , just picked up another one just like so i know own 3.

Favorite Ride:   all

Purchased At:   river city

Similar Products Used:   pinarelo prince and look 585 which I still use as my climbing bike.

Bike Setup:   All durace easton ec90 fork and steam hanlebars seat post, zero gravity brakes
reynolds carbon wheels

Submitted by tri-guyI a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2008

Strengths:    vibration damping, good stiffness.

Weaknesses:    none so far--other than a bit heavy by today's standards.

Bottom Line:
Nice comfortable ride. Great for uphills, and relatively light. I blew by hundreds in my 2nd tri!

Favorite Ride:   big uphills/big downhills

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   none

Bike Setup:   Mavic Kysirium Elites, Ultegra brakes, rear deraileur, and compact (50-34) chainring. Dura Ace front deraileur, pedals, and bottom bracket, Thomson Elite seatpost, specialized toupe gel saddle, FSA OS-99 stem, and FSA Pro Wing OS handlebar.

Submitted by christian_deverteuil a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2006

Strengths:    1-price
2-stiffness
3-descending
4-looks

Weaknesses:    only weakness is that it is a bit heavy, but with the right components you can make it acceptably light. hey, its lighter thatn the de rosa tango, another bike i love dearly....wish i had one.

Bottom Line:
sweet ride. super stiff. soaks up the road bumps well. it excels at descending. on tough climbs i just bide my time till i get to the top, then all i have to do is release my brakes for the downhill section. i literally pass other riders on their fancy expensive rides as if they were standing still.
well made and good looking.

Favorite Ride:   look 595

Purchased At:   ebay

Bike Setup:   full dura ace with dura ace wheelset (sweet wheels!!!)

Submitted by tymon_tm a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2006

Strengths:    Smooth ride, good responsiveness, HSC 4 fork, nice paintjob, seat post clamp that is built inside the top tube and cancels carbon seat post sliding problems

Oh and a that's a really bargain one

Weaknesses:    Weight - 1450 grams at 55cm sloping size

Bottom Line:
That's my first full carbon bike, I bought this frameset separately to replace a broken Merida Magnesium frame. I wasn't planning that kind of purchase (thought that carbon rig would blast of my wallet) till my lbs found this one for me.. Gotta say I'm pretty lucky as Look doesn't offer this model any more (I didn't get to choose color etc).

My very first feelings about Look are pretty easy to describe - smoooooth. Now, after one year on a maximum stiff and harsh frame (Merida Mag) I did not realize how soakin' up the road vibs gets riding to another level. But Look's no lemon at all - he's comfy when you need him to be, being so responsive and 'cooperative' at the same time. I appreciate kinda shorten rear triangle and the HSC 4 fork with (I think) 43mm rake - well, at leat it feels like 43mm.. Only thingy disadvantage is the head tube - now what's all that fuss bout making longish head tubes about anyway? Why don't the manufacturers let us decide if some of us like it low?

Besides all that - climbing is cool, accelerating is OK, and it really works for a whole-day-in-the-saddle-thingy

Favorite Ride:   100km+. moderate terrain, good to mediocre roads

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Nothing - this is my first full carbon

Bike Setup:   Look 461 + HSC 4 fork, Ultegra + FSA crankset, SLR Carbonio, Wh-550 wheels for everyday bangin', WCS for the rest

Look KG 461 QUESTIONS

Hi everyone! Looking at a possible purchase of a Look KG 461 frameset, so any feedback would be appreciated. Would prefer feedback from those who own this model or tested. QUESTIONS: 1) Overall peformance (Climbing, Descending, Stability, Acceleration, Comfort)? 2) Will the KG 461 accept a 7 ... Read More »

KG 461 question

I hope this is the right forum for this question: I am considering buying a lightly used (sub 1500 miles) 2001 KG 461. Dura ace gruppo, Chris King headset, Mavics (not specified which). The seller is asking $950 - is this a reasonable price? Any advice much appreciated! ClaudiaRead More »

For sale KG 461 59cm

I have a used 59cm KG 461 for sale.White and blue paint job. I'll try to sell it here first, if not it will be on Ebay this weekend. About 800 miles on it. In great shape. Email me for photos. Make me an offer. [email]campylover@verizon.net[/email]Read More »

Look KG 461 rear tire clearance

I just picked up an 04' Look KG 461 and was wondering if anyone could help me with an issue. I am installing existing components on the frame. Using Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels, and a Dura-Ace 9 clamp on front derailleur. Tire size is 700x23 and when the wheel is installed on the frame without the fr ... Read More »

KG 461 vs. 555 Ride Quality

How would you Look experts describe the ride of the KG 461 vs. the 555. Is the 461 stiffer? 555 of course is lighter. Think it's possible to build a 51cm 461 right around the 17 pound mark? If you have a 461 around that weight, what's it speced with? Cheers -IanRead More »