Marin Mountain Bikes Portofino 2003 Road Bike

3.8/5 (5 Reviews)

Submitted by Joe Simmons a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2006

Strengths:    -Steel frame (more comfortable and not much heavier)
-Wheels are smooth and sound cool
-Carbon fork
-Brakes well
-Beautiful looking bike

Weaknesses:    -Sora components kinda suck
-Tops out at 52mph

Bottom Line:
First of all i'll say i'm no roadbiking expert. I'm an outdoor enthusiast and since roadbiking is part of the outdoors I have one! I bought the bike 10 miles away from my house from a guy on RBR classifieds for $400. He gave me some shoes and a cateye computer and the bike had look arc pedals with it. I got a really good deal in my opinion. The bike rides real smooth. I get a lot of compliments on the bike's paint job from the people in the club. I couldn't get it to go faster than 52mph. I was going down a mountain with a guy that said he was going 54mph so I think all the bike can do is 52. It takes hills fine, flats fine. I would recommend throwing out those stock Kenda Koncept tires as they are total junk. I got soooooo many flats on them but I do ride the bike hard too. The 53cm frame fit my 5'7" 160lb 30in inseam frame just fine. For what you get this bike is a great deal, and usually you can find them really stinking cheap on the internet. Now to the components. Sora is not the greatest drivetrain setup. I have had plenty of problems with it but you are going to get sora with just about any decent entry level bike. You get what you pay for. I think besides the component group everything else on the bike is great. I will probably keep this bike a few more years. Overall, I'm glad I got the bike and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again over the trek 1000 or any other company's entry level bike. My mom has a trek 1000 and I think my Portofino is a way better ride but that's just my opinion. I rode 60 miles last season and in a month or two i'm going for a century! I fully trust this bike to get me where I need to go. So if you can get a good deal buy the bike, put some look pedals and michelin carbon tires on it and ride the thing!!! You'll know when the bike limits you, the first thing to worry about is getting in shape. I pass up those guys with their $3,000 bikes and cool gear plenty often!

Favorite Ride:   Northeast TN hills

Purchased At:   RBR Classifieds

Similar Products Used:   Trek 1000

Bike Setup:   Cateye 8 computer
Look Arc pedals
Michelin Carbon tires front and rear

Submitted by UCLA_MCDbio a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2004

Strengths:    Rides well and shifts well when group is properly maintained. Nice wheels and paint job. Good price for the quality.

Weaknesses:    Slightly heavy if you are thinking about racing, but I am going to use it as an entry level bike. I heard Sora is not that great, but I seem to have no problems with it.

Bottom Line:
My first road bike. Rides smooth and well. I switched for a larger tire size for city riding. I have gotten some compliments on the frame and look.

Favorite Ride:   San Vincent to Santa Monica Beach

Purchased At:   Ebay (eBikeStop)

Bike Setup:   Stock except for clipless pedals and Geppieme saddle.

Submitted by magesm a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2004

Strengths:    The price is dirt-cheap for what you are getting.

This is an easy ride. The frame geometry, seat, steel tubing and carbon front fork soak up a lot of vibration and abuse when riding the less-maintained country roads.

It can go fast -- 40-45 MPH is about the upper limit (for me). Above that, it feels somewhat unstable.

Wheels are not bad either.

Weaknesses:    Weight (it's no featherweight, but not the heaviest either)

Shimano SORA components need repeated tweaking to keep them adjusted properly, and shifting is only possible when your hands are on the brake hoods.

If you order the bike on-line, and are not used to doing your own maintenance, BE SURE to go to a professional bike shop to get the bike put together and adjusted. Any bike shipped like this is unrideable out-of-the-box.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for a commuter or a recreational rider, and an excellent value for the money. I ride this bike about 100 miles a week, and so far I have had no major complaints. The the frame geometry and saddle are comfortable, and the bike handles climbing and descending very predictably.

Favorite Ride:   Lookout to Flagstaff Road, Boulder

Purchased At:   Sierratradingpost.co

Bike Setup:   Colombus steel frame
Shimano SORA components
XERO wheels

Submitted by rufius a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2004

Strengths:    Carbon fork is a plus for a smooth ride.
Chromoly body is another plus for the smooth ride.
Well built, very durable., smooth ride.
Very clean look with the blue and black.

Weaknesses:    Shimano Sora grouping could be better, replaced with maybe Shimano 105's.
Clunky shifting stock, shifting and gears need to be tuned to get proper shifting.

Bottom Line:
Ordered this bike from Sierra Trading Post on a Friday night and it came the next Thursday. Would recommend this retailer to any and everyone. Bike came without the clamp required to keep the seat post in place but no biggie, just called them and they sent one right out. I bought the bike at a steep discount and was very impressed for the price that I paid for the components I got. This being my first road bike I tried to get the best stuff for the cheapest price. I take it out and ride frequently (30-50 miles a week) and the ride is great. Its very smooth, easy on the bones, I'm a fairly big guy (190 lbs) and I love the ride. The carbon fork is a LOT of help as well as the Chromoly body. None the less, for the price I paid you can't beat the bike's quality and ride. Even at retail(900) or just under you'd still be getting a great bike. I'd recommend it up there with Specialized, Trek and Jamis.

Favorite Ride:   Arlington to Midloathian - 45 mile ride

Purchased At:   Sierra Trading Post

Bike Setup:   Stock Marin Portofino with Look A3.1 pedals.

Submitted by Matt a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2003

Strengths:    Great starter bike, comes with a good saddle and headset. Corners well and is firmly planted, has many speeds

Weaknesses:    COMPONENTS. too many speeds. Not a strong crank(vibrates somtimes), Sprokets wear quickly(that could be driver error)

Bottom Line:
Carbon fork
sora derailers,