Merlin Metalworks Inc. Cyrene Chorus 2003 Road Bike

Submitted by Paal a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2008

Strengths:    Wonderfully smooth ride. Even after hours on rough roads, I still feel good.

Weaknesses:    Don't know

Bottom Line:
Most beautiful bicycle frame out there. Have it set up with full DuraAce, and Easton EA/EC90 parts. Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels. Love to ride it, love to watch it ;-)

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   DuraAce 10, Easton, Mavic.

Submitted by rnl a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2008

Strengths:    Long distance riding is a pleasure. Vibrations are minimized and the climbs are effortless.

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
A most comfortable bike. It is responsive and lively.

Purchased At:   Cycles BiKyle

Bike Setup:   Merline Cyrene, Campangnolo Chorus components, Zipp SL2 Handlebar, Zipp Stem, Fizik Allante Saddle, Look KEO pedals, Mavic RSYS wheels.

Submitted by milespeters a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2006

Strengths:    Geometry is perfect for longer hilly rides. Lightness and supple handling add to the comfort. Finish stays the same year in year out whilst components rust - excluse to upgrade!

Weaknesses:    Not quite a racers bike

Bottom Line:
Superbly light, compliant and comfortable ride, ideal for the 10 hour 150 mile hilly ride from Matlock to North Wales. Unlike all previous trips, no bad back at the end of it. This is a bike to ride for many many years and still enjoy.

Welds not quite as neat as previous examples I have seen, but then the bike is a tool to be used, not simply gazed at.

It's my last purchase until the zimmer frame is required (and then I'd probably ask Merlin to convert it into a trike).

Purchased At:   JE James

Similar Products Used:   Several Mercian steel bikes, all but one very nice, the Mercian Professional in Reynolds 708 is the one that came closest to the Merlin in feel if not weight and durability.

Bike Setup:   Record Groupset, Neutron wheels, unbranded Mizuno fork, FSA triple chainset, old Royce Ti BB, ITM Millenium bars and stem, Prolink Gelflow saddle

Submitted by SFMerlin a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2005

Strengths:    Superior ride. Does a wonderful job of soaking up road shocks (important for me because I broke my left navicular). Components are very smooth. Beautiful welds.

Bottom Line:
I read the April 9, 2003 review of this bike before making my purchase, and can say that my experience is almost identical to that one. I tested many bikes before selecting the Cyrene, and found it to be superior to even bikes that were much more expensive. Very smooth, great acceleration, steady in corners and at high speed. The Chorus components have been great.
I have put over 2000 miles on the bike since I bought it, including several century rides, long mountain climbs and descents, and commuting. It is extremely versatile, and still performs beautifully.

Purchased At:   Albuquerque Bicycle

Bike Setup:   57 cm frame, Merlin carbon fork, Campy Chorus group, 10 speed cassette, double chainring, Cane Creek headset, Mavic Open Pro rims, Hutchinson Carbon Comp tires, Thompson seat post, ITM Ergal 7050 bars, Sella Italia Flite saddle, SPD pedals,

Submitted by DWbike a Recreational Rider from Danville, CA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2003

Strengths:    The ride is great! Smooth, precise, no wobble or shimmy at any speed, yet it seems to absorb road imperfections like an off road suspension bike.

The weld quality is beautiful to look at and this bike draws rave reviews from everyone who sees it.

Weaknesses:    None that I have identified

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike from Excel Sports after test riding every steel, carbon and Ti bike that I could talk its' owner or bike shop into letting me ride. I was looking for a bike with long range comfort that would still accelerate and climb well. After test riding all of the bikes listed below, I found that the Merlin Cyrene provided the ride and handling I wanted, with exceptional build quality. The welds, the alignment and the finish detailing on every Merlin I saw (including this one) were absolutely perfect. I very specifically wanted Campy Chorus on this bike since I was not satified with the Shimano gear on my last bike (lack of serviceability). The Cyrene is exactly what I was looking for. It rides beatifully, smooth with great acceleration, very steady in decents & corners. The Campy Chorus components work beautifully, very precise shifts, no false or missed shifts, quiet powerful brakes and have been very easy to adjust as the cables have stretched.
A final note, Excel Sport was a pleasure to do business with. Their phone staff was excellent in answering my questions, gave advice on component selection that turned out to be very accurate and they delivered my bike quickly with flawless assembly.

Purchased At:   Excel Sports

Similar Products Used:   Specialized A1, Specialized M4, Lemond Maillot June, Seven, Bianchi Boron XL, Look 361, Kestrel, Lightspeed Classic & Tuscany

Bike Setup:   54 cm frame, Merlin Carbon fork, Campy Chorus groupo, Record headset, Campy Proton wheels, Conti S3000 tires, Easton carbon seat post, Ritchie WCS stem & handlebars, Sella Itallia Flite Trans Am saddle, Look 247 peadles