Merlin Metalworks Inc. Fortius Ultegra 2003 Road Bike

Submitted by Phil a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2016

Strengths:    The best titanium road bike frame I've found to turn into an awesome 14 pound Flat Bar 2X10 road bike with ENVE goodies.

Weaknesses:    None other then they didn't make disk brake mounts on frames back then.

Bottom Line:
MERLIN Titanium Fortius / 56cm compact / 2004?

Handlebars / Stem:
ENVE carbon fiber riser / "T3" 17 degree rise stem

Fork / Headset:
ENVE 1.0 carbon fiber / Chris King

Front Wheel / Hub / Rim / Tire:
MAVIC Ksyrium SR rims last weekend. / Vittoria RubinoPro Slick.

Rear Wheel / Hub / Rim / Tire:
MAVIC Ksyrium SR rims last weekend / Vittoria RubinoPro slick.

Crankset / Bottom Bracket:

Shimano SL-R780-L 10 SP Flat Bar rapid fire / 2X10 Ultegra

Brakes / Brake Levers:
Ultegra / Shimano BL-R780 Flat Bar Road brake lever set

Gearing / Chainring / Misc.:
Rear Ultegra 11-28 cassette / 2X10 / Ultegra Ice Gray FC-6750 Crankset all parts were new in 2013.

I just finished my latest "14 pound" urban flat bar road bike project to help keep in shape. The Titanium and carbon fiber parts make this a dream to ride, the best riding road bike I've ever been on. The CHUNKY ESI Grips work fantastic to help take out what little road buzz gets up to the ENVE riser bar. this is the second flat bar road bike that I've built custom from a frame up. The all new Ultegra 2X10 stuff works flawlessly with the new SL-R780 10 Speed Rapid Fire flat bar shifters and flat bar brake levers.

Suspension:
The whole bike

Here is a link the first build sheet info from 2013 on Velospace...

Submitted by Skans

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2013

Strengths:    Geometry, Ultegra groupset, adjustable to fit me fairly precisely

Weaknesses:    Only weakness is the saddle - probably a good saddle, just not for me.

Bottom Line:
I just acquired a used Merlin Fortius. This bike is quality through and through, welds, finish, components - top quality. Fast bike! Why would I want to ride carbon fiber when I could be riding one of these beautiful titanium works of art? I don't see buying another road bike for many many years....maybe replace the groupset or wheels in 10 years or so, if something much better comes out; but you'll have to pry the frame from my cold dead hands.

Submitted by jwilliams a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2004

Strengths:    Compact Geometry, gives me a longer top tube length than a standard frame. Stiff yet compliant ride. Ultegra and Mavic components work flawlessly after initial setup. Bike feels soooo fast!

Weaknesses:    None, although the old racer in me does miss my tubulars (not the glue though).

Bottom Line:
This bike is amazing. After getting everything dialed in, the difference from my old steel ride was striking. I spent several years during the late '80's and 90's racing for clubs and teams in the Southeast. After a ten year hiatus, I began trying to ride again, but i discovered that my old steel Rossin was too uncomfortable for my old bones and muscles to tolerate well. I was going to settle for Aluminum, but my wife encouraged me to take the jump to titanium. The fortius was a great deal and the ride is amazing. Matt at PreownedBikes worked with me to make sure that the bike came equiped the way I wanted it. The result was the most comfortable ride that I have ever been on. Even with some extra weight on me, there is no obvious flex, and everything looks and works flawlessly.

Favorite Ride:   any

Purchased At:   Preownedbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Rossin w/ full Campy Chorus, Cinelli w/ full super record

Bike Setup:   Merlin Fortius Ti, Full Ultegra, Mavic Cosmos wheels, Michelin tires, ITM stem, TTT bars, Thompson seatpost, WTB Shadow V Ti saddle

Submitted by jmeloy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2004

Strengths:    Frame look, feel and geometry
Ultegra components
overall ride

Weaknesses:    horrible seat which I switched out in minutes

Bottom Line:
Just stepped us from a reasonably good aluminum bike and WOW, this bike is outstanding. The titanium is sooooo smooth and very quick. Love the Ultegra (but why 105 front derailleur??) parts and D-Ace hubs.

Was worried about going from triple to double (I'm old) but so far no problem. Shifts are totally clean and crisp.

Pre-owned sells new and used. Matt, my contact, was excellent.

Will psot again when I have alot more miles!

Favorite Ride:   Merlin Fortius