Missing Mod 4.0 2003 Road Bike

Submitted by dexdes a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2004

Strengths:    Great performance for the price. You can find a better performing bike or a better priced bike but the overall value is very good (perhaps not so great at full retail).

Weaknesses:    Effective top tube a bit long - expect to swap stem unless you have a very long torso. Note: If you buy from sierra trading post, open the box and inspect the package - my first shipment had the seat tube + saddle come loose and really marr the frame and rim. Had to send it back but no problem with the second shipment. (Also, if you buy from sierra, look online for a coupon code - I was able to save $150 with a 10% off code)

Bottom Line:
My prior road bike was a 20 year old Trek touring frame so there is no comparision. That said, this is a really nice machine, especially for price paid. Very light - perhaps a half pound more than my friends' OCLVs. I got the Med frame (I'm 5'8-1/2", relatively long in the leg, short in the torso) and immediately needed to go to a much shorter stem (Richey Pro) - this makes the front wheel a bit more squirrely at speed but not unmanageable (nevertheless I wouldn't want to go with a smaller frame since my seatpost is at the 1-1/2 gagemark). Alu main triangle very stiff and light and carbon seat stays and fork do a good job smoothing the ride. If you want more damping, swap out the stock K2 seatpost for something carbon. Quality of TIG welds appears to be good to very good. Compact geometry is OK - I don't think there's a whole lot of performance difference there but it may save on weight slightly. Profiled alu tubing looks cool but again probably doesn't add to/detract from performance. Ultegra gruppo (triple crank - very nice to have here in the mountains) and Ksyrium wheelset are excellent and working well. Very nice yellow/gray/black paintjob. A nice looking, nice riding machine. If you're serious about this bike, go to http://www.k2bikes.com/tech_library/pdfs2/compactgeometry.pdf (final note - I gave this an overall rating of 4 but 4.5 is more accurate).

Favorite Ride:   my house to Big Mountain O&B

Purchased At:   sierra trading post

Similar Products Used:   None really (except my old handmade Trek - nice but nothing like this).

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Ritchey Pro stem (90mm - make sure whatever stem you go with fits an oversize handlebar), Koobi Silver saddle (saves the taint), and Look 293 pedals (light and cheap).