Raleigh USA Competition Double 2003 Road Bike

4.57/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by MarcusCassius a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2004

Strengths:    Price for value. Nothing touches the component setup for this price anywhere.

Weaknesses:    The name was huge once but fell on hard times. There's always a feeling of risk when you don't know for certain. The components are awesome for the money but is the frame???

Bottom Line:
When I started looking I seldom,if ever, found anyone that was a novice in the process. I wanted to leave several reviews to share how this bike worked from beginning to some point when I was settled in.
I have tested Specialized Allez Elite triple, Trek 1200, Lemond Alpe d'huez, and then the 2004 Raleigh Competition.
The fit and feel was similar to the Specialized which was outfitted with Shimano 105 all round and out the door at $1000. The LeMond was way out in price($4000) and didn't feel any better than the Specialized. The Trak felt more like a weekend bike for the same price. The Raliegh was full Ultegra with Mavic wheels (I'll get more technical when I recieve the bike next weekend.)Carbon forks and Richey post and goose. The salesman changed the seat from a very expensive Italian seat to an even more expensive and extremely comfortable seat for the same cost. A proffesional fitting and tuneup is included in the price. Helens does it right. Also included was two racks and bottles.
I'll be able to give a more complete review soon.

Favorite Ride:   Raleigh Competition

Purchased At:   Helens Cycles in San

Similar Products Used:   Trek 1200, Specialized Allez Elite, Lemond

Bike Setup:   Coming very soon.

Submitted by nfohl a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2004

Bottom Line:
update on my Raleigh Comp 2003 review at 600miles +/-. While on BART today, I noticed my computer said my max speed was 60.3mph. I'm not sure I believe that - I've had some screaming downhills but don't remember where I had enough room for that kind of run up - but suffice to say, I've found it extremely stable at high speed -this is with the stock Raleigh carbon fork.
I've found comfort has improved a bit as I have tuned my tire pressure better -I've got Michelin Carbon Pro race tires and they seem to roll very well at low 90psi pressure and give a much better ride than at 105-110psi. Still not as smooth as my Serotta Ottrott ST but I'm not sure I would call it a minus at this point.
cheers and keep the rubber bits on the pavement

Submitted by nfohl a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2004

Strengths:    percise, stable, light and stiff without being twitchy. Price

Weaknesses:    rough on the body over poor pavement

Bottom Line:
I had my brand new Serotta Ottrott ST stolen and ended up with the 2003 Comp off of e-bay due to the price and close match to the geometry of my custom Ottrott. The Ottrott definitely deserves Bicycling Magazine's 2004 Dream Bike of the Year award. The Raleigh however compares favorably at a lot less $$$ $320 for the frame - the rest was Campy/Mavic parts. The fit for me is near custom perfect (within .5 cm). I've found it light and very responsive without being twitchy. Stability in corners and fast downhills around the San Francisco bay area (hilly) is excellent. Smooth roads are great - chip & seal pavement definitely causes the famous Aluminum chatter, despite the Raleigh carbon fork. Fizik Ariane saddle is very comfortable and highly recommended. I would rather be on my $9000 Ottrott but I am pretty happy with this - it rides and races well

Favorite Ride:   Mt Diablo, San Francisco eastbay

Purchased At:   e-bay & local shop

Similar Products Used:   Serotta Ottrott ST, cromoly Battaglin SX (14 years), various cromoly in the 1970s & 1980's

Bike Setup:   Campy Centaur 12x27 double, Mavic open pro, Michelin Carbon Pro Race, fizik ariane saddle, ritchey WCS drops, Raleigh pro carbon fork

Submitted by ORdirtydown a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2004

Strengths:    All around ride quality for diverse conditions. Good components for price.

Weaknesses:    Cable runs. No big deal though

Bottom Line:
Price point was the deciding factor for making this purchase. I wanted a better road bike but I wasn't seriously looking.

I wanted an stiff aluminum bike because I am a heavy powerful rider. I am best in the sprint. I also do a lot of climbing and back roads. I was a little concerned about the possible harsh ride quality of aluminum. Those concerns have been relieved. This is a good ride in all conditions. I am comparing it to Lemond steel Poprad that I ride in the winter. I am comfortable on this bike all day. I believe the Shimano 540 wheel design has a dampening quality that improves the ride. I am also looking forward to riding in crit races. It is probably not the best for the mountain climbs for the climbing purist. However, it definitely kicks ass on the descents.

It has a sexy rear triangle. I think more thought went into the design engineering than Raleigh reveals in any promotional information.

No buyer's remorse here.