Raleigh USA Team 2003 Road Bike

4.78/5 (9 Reviews)

Submitted by Lewis Songer

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2012

Strengths:    Campagnolo Record components were best available. Solid frame.

Weaknesses:    I need to get an offset seat post. Otherwise, no weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
Unless you step up to Cervelo or similar, you will not find a better ride.

Submitted by RoadT a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2004

Strengths:    Gorgeous Columbus Airplane tubing, with specatular smooth welds. The Taiwanese manufacturers have become excellent welders and carbon fabricators. Carve fork and rear end add great handling. Corners like a dream at high speed and descends with tremendous stability. It winds up to speed quickly and has almost no flex. The aluminum does not transfer shock and I found it much more forgiving than my steel bikes. Finally, you can't talk about this bike and not mention the paint job. It has the allure of the Raleigh Team from the late 70s early 80s when the team was a powerhouse. Gotta love it!

Weaknesses:    Head badge needs better glue!! It is peeling up on the edges. Not a good statement for such a great bike. How could the manufacturer allow this? Chainstay guard is cheap! Peel it up right away! No other problems at this point.

Bottom Line:
This bike is absolutely fantastic. I have ridden many high-end bikes and this one handles with the best of them. The frame material, geometry and styling make this a terrific deal. I realize the new Raleigh name has fallen out of favor in the last couple of years, but this bike is not like the lower end models. It's frame is competitive with much pricier and higher end European framesets. I've seen it at high end shops in Boston selling for close to $4,000.

Favorite Ride:   Rolling Hills of New Hampshire

Purchased At:   Frame Only at GVH Bi

Similar Products Used:   1988 Raleigh Team - Reynolds 531, Basso, Miyata Team - Tange Champion

Bike Setup:   Full Ultegra, Ritchey Bar and Stem, Selle Italia Max Flite, Dura Ace pedals, Michelin Pro Tires.

Submitted by fullsailbiker a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight, Record works just perfect, Light fast wheels, beautiful bike, great handling, no problems. A note about Record: after 8,000 miles and several sets of tires the rings and chain are still looking great.

Weaknesses:    As I read in a review above I occasionally hear a click in the rear hub, It has never released or anything strange but I also only weigh 155 and have no sprint. The paint scratched easily from a top tube rack (but so did my fisher Mtn bike) The SLR saddle took some getting used to and I may get a new style for this year. I had a huge chunk of skin missing from my arse after a stage race and I never had that problem with a Flite.

Bottom Line:
First of all I loved they way the bike looked and I have no problem with the "low end" name of Raleigh. The bike is plenty light and fairly stiff at the BB. It corners very well and is quick to change direction. I love the Euros wheels and I have never had a problem with them staying true despite pot-holes, gravel, and hitting rocks and a road-kill cat. I was much faster on the road this year (bike or fitness?) and never regret getting the bike at all. It just works great.

Favorite Ride:   Lots of hills and lots of tight corners

Purchased At:   Scotts Cycles, Hermi

Submitted by Stevan a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2003

Strengths:    Top notch components, complete Campy Record group including seat post and Euros wheelset, even the cables are Campy
Lively feel
$1000's cheaper than it's competition
Columbus Aluminum Frame with Carve carbon seat stays and fork

Weaknesses:    Defective Rear Hub
Saddle needs replacing
Weak Product Support
Very cheap quality cork tape

Bottom Line:
First real group ride I had I wound up sliding on the pavement from 27 mph because my freewheel released during a sprint. Raleigh had the bike shop call Campy about the faiilure, Campy wouldn't do anything untill the freewheel was torn down and a weak spring/defective paul set was found. I'm told that they mailed new parts, but it's been over a week and while I'm riding the bike, I can't really ride it hard because the freewheel pops every once in a while and I don't stand up to avoid a repeat of my first ride on the bike (not counting sizing it in). Also I was left to repair other damage caused in the crash caused by a defective component.

The frame feels very springy while being ridden. The bike rides much better than the steel Colnago I was riding originally. There isn't a significant amount of bottom bracket deflection and that's under a 225 lb rider. The bike is very agile by comparison to the "touring" geometry frames I've been riding. The long frame geometry pulls the rider across the top tube much more than the other bikes I've been riding. The components are top notch despite the issues I've been having. I'm told, and belive that it is an isolated incident. The cycle weighs 18.5 lbs assembled with no pedals, but plan on replacing the saddle immediatley. Also the cork tape wound up with the adhesive on the backing rather than the tape during assembly. Some of the stickers were slightly torn and that's under the clearcoat.

The bike showed up at the store in 3 boxes. One with the frameset, one with the wheelset, and one with everything else individualy wrapped.

Favorite Ride:   Crosby Loop

Purchased At:   Bicycles Etc.

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh Grand Prix
Colnago Steel

Bike Setup:   Mostly Stock, stem flipped, Polar S720i electrocis package, Shimano M959 pedals, Selle Italia Pro-Link Trans-Am saddle.

Submitted by The_Spokesman a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2003

Strengths:    Extremely light (62cm). Great Climber. Smooth ride. Killer components. Swanky Wheels. No one else has one. Stunning paint job. Exceptional value.

Weaknesses:    Be aware that counter to what Raleigh will tell you they measure this bike from the center of the bottom bracket to the top edge of the top tube. The bike measures 60cm center to center.

Bottom Line:
When I sold my Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel to buy this bike everyone said I was crazy. I have had the last laugh. Not only does it handle better it is also significantly lighter and very comfortable. The Campagnolo Record Carbon components are excellent. I have been a Shimano guy since I started and was leery of the Ergo Shifters. I really like them. They are not better than STI, not worse than STI, just different.

Purchased At:   Cape-Able Bike Shop