Scattante CFR Carbon Road - Ultegra 2003 Road Bike

4.72/5 (61 Reviews)

Submitted by Ted a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2011

Strengths:    Durable, light, reliable group(po), rolls smooth and will never get ripped off when stopped for mid-ride feeds while riding with my Calfee buds

Bottom Line:
I've owned this bike for over 8 years - have 1000s of miles on it and nothing has failed, flexed too far, or fallen off. From time to time I get the urge to update this bike but after demo rides on bikes that cost 3 times as much I decide that the 'upgrade' can wait another year.

Favorite Ride:   So Cal Mountains

Purchased At:   Super Go

Similar Products Used:   More than a few things in the garage from 500 to 3500 bucks.

Bike Setup:   Ultegra Group, Easton EA 90 wheels, weyless add ons. All stock but the Wheeels

Submitted by Marty B a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff frame, great components, good fit. Manages road vibration very well for a 2003 technology bike. Great climber, super stable and quick downhill. Looks nice, too: all black / carbon with red & white graphics (but not too many!).

Weaknesses:    None come to mind. You might want to swap out the Selle Italia XO saddle but it's not bad for its price range.

Bottom Line:
I borrowed this bike from my friend about 1 year ago (April 2009). I ride about 400 miles per week with the occasional century thrown in. My routes include lots of climbing and long, fast descents. The Scattante has not disappointed me in any way. I'm 55 years old, former club rider coming back from years of inactivity, bad back and neck. The CFR is very comfortable. The geometry allows me to put a lot of force on the cranks without abnormal stress on my back and shoulders. It climbs very well and goes downhill like a rocket. Other than possibly upgrading to new Ultegra or DuraAce there is nothing I would change about this bike. Every time I give it a good cleaning somebody asks me "did you get a new bike?" Not bad for a 7 year old frame!

Favorite Ride:   Rolling Hills Estates / Palos Verdes

Purchased At:   Performance (SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   Various

Bike Setup:   Full Ultegra drive train, cockpit and brakes with Performance brand (SuperGo) "Weyless" carbon forks and aluminum bar & stem. A Selle Italia XO saddle sit atop a carbon seatpost. The tires are Vitorio Rubino Pros wrapped around Mavic Open Pros.

Submitted by ernestsafe a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2009

Strengths:    Carbon monocoque frame is durable and light an so beautiful

Weaknesses:    Short cranks(They spin great though)

Bottom Line:
Loving my new bike. Howeever, Wish I could find my stolen Quattro Assi. The 2000 dollar insurance deductible made it imposssible for me to replace my 4 Aces..But for 1440 I was able to almost replace my bike.

Favorite Ride:   Scattante Elite

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   My former and stolen bike

Bike Setup:   shimano Ultegra, Ksryium Elite, FSA carbon Cranks etc

Submitted by Owl Biker a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2009

Strengths:    Great frame, components and warrantee at a price severla hundred dollars below comparable bikes

Weaknesses:    None that I've noted yet, although I did find the geometry to be a bit too aggressive for a 40 something rider and reduced the size of the original stem on the handlebars.

Bottom Line:
Great value, with nice carbon frame and top of the line components. Very responsive to the rider with great acceleration on hills and smooth and quick stopping from the brakes. I had it up to 40 MPH and noted none of the issues identified in some other reviews. The price combined with 20% store credit made the purchase a much better value than other bigger brands. The Performance store service crew is a bit of a challenge but the bike is top notch.

Favorite Ride:   Petaluma hills with friends

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi Imola with aluminum frame

Bike Setup:   Carbon frame (SL6), full ultegra triple components, Mavik Aksium race wheels, Tektro Quartz brakes

Submitted by Cruz a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2009

Strengths:    The stock components are great - Ultegra all around, great wheels for stock - Mavic Ksyriums. Great, light, stiff frame!

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet!

Bottom Line:
I have been loving this bike more and more with every ride. I rode the Courage Classic here in Colorado and have gotten the bike up to 50mph on beautiful decents, this bike felt as stable as if I was riding 10mph. It was unbelievable! Climbing Vail pass is normally no joke, this bike did incredible, nice stiff full crank make me work, but the bike was awesome! We rode the century ride on the second day, after 58miles the first day, I wasn't sore at all! I love this thing!

Favorite Ride:   ALL of 'em