Trek 1000 2003 Road Bike

4.41/5 (34 Reviews)

Submitted by Northwest Rider a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2005

Strengths:    Easy to handle. Light. Great price. Good brand name.

Weaknesses:    Components have held up but will have to see if makes another training season and STP ride for 2006

Bottom Line:
Great Bike for me. Have had no problems. Frame fits well and is light for price. Components probably not best but I have been lucky with mine. I have only changed the tubes and tires, everything else original even after more than 2000 miles of riding. Took it on a long two day ride (Seattle to Portland) at fast pace and also 34 mile hill ride (Chilly Hilly). Good for all riding.

Favorite Ride:   STP (Seattle to Portland

Purchased At:   Bicycles West

Similar Products Used:   old steel frames. HEAVY

Bike Setup:   Original except changed to set-ins and added Aerodynamic Bars.

Submitted by NHroadrider a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2005

Strengths:    price,finish(the black and silver paint scheme is awsome)bang for your buck,speed cornering ability, comfort.

Weaknesses:    not super crazy about sora components when doing agressive climbs.Chain actually jumped off when shifting up to the next gear.The stock saddle and aluminum fork are not very good.

Bottom Line:
For the money,I don't think you can find a better value out there.My trek 1000 does everything very well.It corners accelerates,climbs and brakes very well.Fit and finish are something you would expect on higher end bikes,and are light years ahead of my clunky,heavy mountain bike.

Favorite Ride:   18 mike sat morning loop with 2 killer hills

Purchased At:   Rhino bikes,Plymouth

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose mountain bike

Bike Setup:   Stock rear rubber,changed front tire to michilin,cycle computer,water bottle and cage,san selle seat(stock had to go),shimano clips.

Submitted by roadbiker_13 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2005

Strengths:    the triple ring in front is good for beginers to build up their legs. over all its a great bike

Weaknesses:    sora componets. my back wheel wasnt sterdy. back deralier doesnt do well now and then

Bottom Line:
I got this bike in 2003 and it was my first road bike. I road once and a while my first year. The second year I joind a Jr. racing team and it did good. When I got it the back wheel was crap,arter it got tacoed I upgraded. Its a great bike for starting riders. In december 2004 I got a motobecane le champion team and its a big difference, but the trek 1000 is great for for first timers.

Favorite Ride:   pool ride

Purchased At:   bike x change

Similar Products Used:   giant ocr3

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by longtourer a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2004

Strengths:    Inexpensive, relatively light, handles well.

Weaknesses:    Sora Components are cheap but do their job well. The ride is somewhat rough.

Bottom Line:
This is my first serious road bike. I have been doing thousand mile tours since I was 12 and finally decided to get a road bike. My reaction to to this bike was really nice. I am only 17 so my price range was limited. I was a little scared how it was going to ride for only 650, but have been thouroughly pleased. Go handling and fun to ride. A little rough, that is due to the aluminum frame. Though after I put on my carbon fork it smoothed out. The stock pedals were not bad, but by no means good. I replace them with the Look CX-6 Carbons that just make the ride that much sweeter.

Favorite Ride:   Squak Peak Road

Purchased At:   Mad Dog Cycles, Orem

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Trek 1000, Look CX-6 carbon pedals, Wound Up threadless Carbon Fork.

Submitted by hetti cheung a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2004

Strengths:    It does the job well. I have been training on it over the winter on a trainer. The past summer, I have logged approx. 100 km - 150 km a week on the bike. It holds up. Solid starter bike.

Weaknesses:    The Shimano Sora derailleur really bugs me sometimes; the shifting is not that smooth. It gets esp. "clunky" when you're doing climbs. Also, I don't believe the frame fits females as good. I'm thinking of getting a "female-specific" roadbike for 2005.

Bottom Line:
Solid starting bike. Considering that I am of a light build, I have yet to encounter the "spokes popping out" problem. I'm thinking of using this bike for this season, then upgrading to a fancier bike for the 2005 season.

Favorite Ride:   stouffville, ON

Purchased At:   sportswap

kestrel rt 1000 105 worth today?

How much a used 2012 kestrel rt 1000 nowadays? happen to saw one on classified ads around 900$.Read More »

At what point - $1000 difference

First of all, about rider type - Only ride during good weather, run during bad weather, but I do live near the ocean so riding in overcast / misty weather does occur, but NO RAIN etc. Road quality is above average for most of my ride, although a few sections have some unevenness. 68.5 inches at 160 ... Read More »

1000 words.

.....[ATTACH=CONFIG]280012[/ATTACH]Read More »

Best wheelset for 1000 bucks or less.

I am finally going to spend some bucks on a nice wheelset. The bike, BMC roadracer with Ultegra. Currently i am running Fulcrum 5's with no issues. Just looking for something nice I wont have any problems with. I weigh in at 190-175 depending on the time of year. I dont race but like a smoot ... Read More »

First 1000 Miles in the Saddle

This week I just finished my first 1000 miles in the saddle. I have posted here in the past about my learning experience with my first bike and the growing pains (literally) of riding and learning. Well, this week I passed 1000 miles on my 2011 Diamondback Podium 3. I have had the bike since ... Read More »