Trek 2300 2003 Road Bike

4.78/5 (32 Reviews)
MSRP : $1979.99

Submitted by Al Balko a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff frame for performance, speed and climbing. Good looks too!

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
After riding a mountain bike and Hybrid bike for 3 yrs. the switch to the Trek 2300 brought a whole new and exciting change to riding. Great bike to get quick response and performance in a short, quick burst way. I love the bike!

Favorite Ride:   Trek 2300 on open road

Purchased At:   bike shop in Grand R

Bike Setup:   Ultegra components throughout.

Submitted by Archie a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2007

Strengths:    Lively, light, excellent equipment.

Weaknesses:    Very poor quality decals and paint. Decals peeled on underside of top tube. Trek said it was my fault for putting the bike on a wall rack - but the rack is foam padded!! Paint chips very easily

Bottom Line:
I've enjoyed this bike from day one, especially as the price was so good. It is a joy to ride on short or long (century) distances.

Favorite Ride:   Myakka State Park and environs, FL

Purchased At:   Ryder Bikes, Bradent

Similar Products Used:   Pinarello Galileo 105

Bike Setup:   Standard spec + Look pedals

Submitted by epdcidra a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2005

Strengths:    Great capacity for upgrading. Can accept a wide range of "grupos" items from Campy to shimano. Ligthness and stiffness.

Weaknesses:    n/a

Bottom Line:
The best bike I've road in the last years I have been in the road. Great movements. Great capacity for upgrading. And the response to road changes is incredible. Probably the configuration I have can help to absorb better the pavement changes, but in overall is great. the price paid is only for the frame with headset and carbon fork. I assembled it with my parts at home.

Favorite Ride:   Trek 2300

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   none at this time.

Bike Setup:   FRAME: Trek 2300, Alpha SLR, 56cm
REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano 105
CRANKSET: Shimano 105 52/42
CASSETTE: Shimano 105 (HG-70) 12-25, 8 speed
BRAKESET: Shimano 105 w/105 STI levers
PEDALS: Shimano 105 (PD-R540)

Submitted by Terex a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2005

Strengths:    Quality of build, with a combination of comfort and speed. No problems with seat - I'm a little over 6 feet and weigh 180 and not even a twinge after 50 mi. rides. The only ache I get is my neck - not used to road position. Generally feel quite comfortable in all handlebar positions on this 56 cm frame - I've got 32 in. inseam. Feels rock solid up to 47 mph (so far!)

Weaknesses:    Could use larger diameter handle bars. May add ergo padding first and see if I like the feel.

Bottom Line:
Back into road biking after brief 25 yr. lay-off. Bought last years' model 2300 this Sept. Been riding a Titus Racer-X mtn. bike, but went road to increase opportunities to ride. Test ride almost did me in... Fumbling with integrated levers and not clipped in, hit a small, deeep, pothole. Like the Weeble, I wobbled, but didn't fall down. Saved that for first group ride - doh! At first, the bike felt like I was riding a razor - in a bad way. And then, after a few rides, felt like riding a laser. Like many born-again roadies, there is no better feeling than powering through rolling countryside. After a little conditioning, the 2300 let me do just that.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere in Hunterdon County

Purchased At:   Highland Park Cycler

Similar Products Used:   Uhh...nothing really similar. Last road bike was an early 70's Motebecane Grand Jubilee with downtube shifters. Modern technology is good. Demo'd some compact frame bikes and don't like the "one size fits most" concept.

Bike Setup:   Stock with Ultegra peddles. I really like their looks and clipped in function, but don't care for single sided entry. Also have a computer, rear mounted wired for use on trainer when I need to. Bike computers are fun. Aero-bladed spokes really are affected by cross-winds.

Submitted by Allan a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2004

Strengths:    The frame is plenty stiff for bigger riders and the paint was well sprayed overall.

Weaknesses:    The frame decals were aligned/applied unevenly on the tubes when compared to the opposite side ones. The bottom bracket threads seem to be machined a bit sloppy as the cups fit a bit slack, and needed to be re-torqued about every 1000 miles. The headset tube machining taper showed wear as high and low spots, causing the bearings to constantly need adjustment as they wore down the high areas.The rear triangle geometry is very long and this causes squirmy hill acceleration and sluggish climbing.These factors coupled with the overall frame geometry made for sluggish slow handling.

Bottom Line:
I bought this Trek 2300 frameset to build a training bike that would be an extra ride.

Purchased At:   Cycle world Miami

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale and Orbea aluminum framesets.

Bike Setup:   A mix of Record and Chorus 10 speed with Ksyrium wheels,ITM bars and stem Bontrager seatpost,Selle Italia saddle and Shimano pedals

New shifters (Campy?) on shimano 2300

Hi, been lurking for awhile and finally made an account! I have a 2012 Specialized Allez compact with shimano 2300 groupset; I couldn't afford a better bike and ever since I've upgraded my wheels (now used bontrager race lite) and cassette (SRAM PG850) I haven't really felt the need for any major p ... Read More »

2012 CAAD 8 Sora vs 2013 CAAD 8 2300

Hey, I'm getting out of mountain biking (I actually just sold my hardrock) and I am looking at an entry-level road bike.I know that the 2012 Tiagra or 2013 Sora would be a lot better, but I just can't afford it. Anyway, I'm just wondering which you would prefer. I think the 2012 Sora would be a litt ... Read More »

Shimano Claris (aka the new 2300) - Anyone Tried It?

I just saw that Bikes Direct has started selling a bike with the new Shimano Claris group. This is the latest version of what used to be called 2300. It looks to get the same upgrade as Sora with proper STI shifters (and no thumb buttons) but 8sp instead of 9sp in the case of Sora. Has anyone tried ... Read More »

2012 Bianchi Brava 2300

[ATTACH=CONFIG]281660[/ATTACH] I currently have put some $$$ down on this bike, i rode it seems to be a nice fit but I cant really find any real info online. (review wise) Just wondering if anybody knows someone that has this bike or has had this bike and what your impressions are. This will be my f ... Read More »

Via Nirone 7 2300 vs. Campione

Hello, Fairly new to the bike scene. Picked up a campione off of CL that was a bit too small for me. Love the bike. Dont know how to use downtube shifters but Im sure I can pick up on that.. I want the bike for exercise, hitting bike paths and generally going fast. My price range is ~$800 and ... Read More »