Trek 5200 2003 Road Bike

4.87/5 (67 Reviews)

Submitted by Rumi Tejpar a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2006

Strengths:    really lite, and comfy

Weaknesses:    not as responsive as I would like... but still great

Bottom Line:
Fantasic... Fantastic bike... I recommend it to anyone and everyone!

Purchased At:   3000

Submitted by rcm32000 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2006

Strengths:    Finest carbon fibre manufactoring process know to man
Strong
Light
Lifetime Warranty by a company that will still be around 15 years from now, and a company that backs EVERY frame with that warranty

Weaknesses:    Weakness? There is no stinking weakness.

Ok,ok, maybe the Shimano Triple doesn't shift as well as the Double, but no longer a problem with the new 10spds out there.

Bottom Line:
I've been selling this bike for over four years now, the price above is what we sold it for at the time. This is one of the best value bikes on the market, and if you're looking for carbon fibre, look no further than Trek.

Trek carbon rules the world, for the past 14 years, and I'll vouch for them and defend them against all comers. I've lifted beautiful frames made by Look and Colnago, and two things leap to mind, HEAVY AS CAN BE, plus the fact of, EXPENSIVE!!!

I currently have over 3200 miles on my bike, 3 centuries, and one head on collision, my fault. I broke the fork on impact, but the frame was fine. Considering I was doing about 15mph, and I weigh about 250+lbs, 6'3", Trek will hold up to anybody.

As for the fact that Lance supposedly rides these bikes, here's the truth and Trek will verify this if you ask. The team rides stock frames! The only difference they sometimes have is the mount for their number, which is adding weight:)

Trek blew me away with their service. Trek has a crash replacement program which says, if you crash, you voided the warranty, BUT, they will sell you a new/equivalent frame, for about 40% off the retail price. Now here's the real shocker, it applies to ANYONE that owns a Trek, not just the original owners, but ANYONE!!!

As for you guys that complain about the decals slipping or peeling, take your bike to a good Trek dealer, you just might be surprised at what Trek is willing to do for you.

So if you want an awesome ride, best warranty in the buisness, a company that stands behind their product like no other, and will be around for a long time, than Trek OCLV is the ride for you.

Favorite Ride:   Monday Mocha Mooch/Java Jive with the Wetsren Wheelers and ACTC Group(s)

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction, Los

Similar Products Used:   Lemond Zurich, Klein Quantum, Klein Quantum Race, Pilot 5.2

Bike Setup:   Stock, only changes to bike itself were a longer seatpost (250mm wasn't long enough, even though it was a 62cm frame), Fizik Aliante saddle, and custom wheels (stupi, stupid, stupid me because I was worried about strenght and the Race Lites that it came with are exceptionally strong!).

Submitted by gigemaggs99 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2004

Strengths:    Light, strong frame, lifetime warranty on the frame, awesome color. Climbs quickly and descends like silk.

Weaknesses:    This bike has none that I know of. Perhaps the weakness is the rider, I run out of water and the bikes begs me for more miles! Maybe I can convince my wife to meet me at the half-way point with fresh bottles!

Bottom Line:
After many sleepless hours reading all the reviews comparing different road bikes I went with the Trek 5200 52cm Pearl Black Carbon. The positive reviews for this bike (thanks to everyone) and time tested OCLV frame make this a very comfortable ride. Not to mention it is as little as a feather. I am 5'8" and 190lbs and do not feel any frame flex that others have reported. This bike has the stock setup, I purchased it as a closeout model this August 2004. It has full ultegra components. The only thing I have done is added a Cateye Astrale 8 computer and I removed the reflectors and spoke protector. I think it makes the bike look cleaner without them. If I am going to do some night/early morning riding I have a headlight and a blinking rear light I can add quickly. I love this bike! Trek makes a great product, I also have a Trek 4500 MTB, which is as strong as the day I purchased it. I can't say enough good things about my Trek 5200, the only problem I'm having now is what to name it. I've only had the bike for a week so I haven't been able to test it fully yet, but today I went on a nice 40mile ride and it was a smooth as can be. Many other reviews have stated you can ride this bike all day, the only problem I have is I only have 2 water bottle cages so I run out of water after 3 hours of riding, but water is free :-) and this bike can truely be ridden all day! I would also like to thank everyone who suggested I get fitted at a LBS and find the one that fits ME and MY body. A lot of my friends ask me what a good size would be for them, I pass on what I learned, inseam is just a starting point, once you find one you can stand over you have to try different frame sizes and find that one that fits your torso, arm length, and flexibilty. I was inbetween a 52cm and a 54cm. As soon as I rode the 52cm I knew it was the one, but I gave the 54cm a chance but for me it didn't compare. Thank you to Chris at the Bike Barn (Copperfield) for all your help!
Thank you TREK!

Favorite Ride:   Any ride on this bike!

Purchased At:   Southwest Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Specialied S-works, Giant OCR2, Trek 4500.

Bike Setup:   Stock minus the reflectors and rear spoke protector. Added Cateye Astrale 8 computer and 2 Performance Strada Lite Stainless Road Cages.

Submitted by owmynads a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2004

Strengths:    Climbing, accelerating, handling, sizing, comfort, responsiveness, and S-P-E-E-D!

Weaknesses:    Makes wife jealous.

Bottom Line:
I got this bike after drooling over it for a year. The first year of cycling (at age 37) was done on a Schwinn Passage I got on eBay for $300. What an incredible difference. I came back from my first ride speechless. This bike is impervious to hills and headwinds. I can't get over the difference.

Favorite Ride:   43 mi. "Narrow Lane" loop in Exeter/Richmond/Charleston/West Greenwich/East Greenwich, RI

Purchased At:   Narragansett Bikes

Bike Setup:   US Postal Edition. Factory setup except for the tires.

Submitted by dcampos a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2004

Strengths:    weight, very light, nicely equipped for the price on a US built bike. I would get the xlite wheels or Krysium SL for racing.

Weaknesses:    none. However while riding on vacation out west in Palm Springs, I did flat execcively in a week period...4times. Probably the xxlite tubes and new wheels. But I seriously had trouble sometimes determining if I was going up hill as it really glides along. Flat bladed spokes did seem to cause some lateral movement in the strong cross winds by the windmill "farms" of Palm Springs.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my 10 year old 3/2 carbon fiber Trek Campy Veloce that I have raced and ridden many a mile. I agree with others who have observed that the 5200 seems to have it's own motor. It is such a nice bike and I could not be pleased more and am looking forward to spring riding. Further, in my opinion the seat is more comfortable than my previos Italia San Marco Ti Flite contrary to some reviews I have read.

Favorite Ride:   Trek 5200

Purchased At:   Chicago Drive Schwin

Similar Products Used:   ridden: Giant carbon, Serotta Ti Fierte, Ti Airborne, Aluminum Felt, and my 10 year old Trek 3/2 carbon 2300. I didn't like the Airborne or Felt rides. Did like the others however.

Bike Setup:   54cm stock setup with Speedplay stainless xeros. Will have clip on aeros probably profiles like my old ones.

Trek 5200 carbon damage repair pictorial

I though I would make my first post a good one... I picked this up from Craigslist just to get a good set up carbon forks but I got to thinking hey if we can build carbon jets I'll bet I can fix this frame. Before: [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/sauger/994835_10102798498144103_7323 ... Read More »

Shifter cable wear plate for a '98 Trek 5200 Road Bike

Good day, My 1998 Trek 5200 OCLV road bike has a metal wear plate on the bottom of the frame at the bottom bracket. This plate protects the carbon fiber frame as it guides both shift cables. As you can imagine it has become warn over the years by the cables and even though I keep it covered with w ... Read More »

Can't ride my wonderful 1993 Trek 5200 w/ Dura-Ace

When I bought this bike second hand some years ago, I had big plans but those were squashed when I had both ankles crushed in an auto accident. I hung onto the bike but have never been able to get back into shape to ride it. Now I'm 71 years old and realize that I won't be able to do these hills ... Read More »

Rolling on a Trek 5200 now

I have been watching CL for a while now for a deal on a bit faster bike then my Diamondback Insight Hybrid, I have been riding the DB for about 3 months 4-5 times a week around 15 miles a night and usually a 30 mile ride on weekends. That being said I found this 2004 5200 on CL. The bike ended up be ... Read More »

Fuji SL 1 Comp vs Trek 5200 OCLV

Hey Guys, Just wanted your opinion on a bike listed on craigslist. Is it a good value? Should I forgo a carbon frame for my first bike and save money? [url]http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/bik/3063818834.html[/url] I've been visiting local bike shops and searching the internet for my ... Read More »