Cannondale T800 2003 Touring Bike

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

Submitted by marcusjorton a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2008

Strengths:    I was a sceptic with the aluminum frame, but it is just as nice as my old renolds that I replaced it with. It has a long wheele base that makes it stabel as hell, but you also loose some of your turning radius. (I have never has a problem with it)The wheels are build for weight, and I have more gears than I know what to do with. Great bike for the price!

Weaknesses:    The bike is 8 years old and starting to show in the componates, but that is hardly cannondale or fault.

Bottom Line:
The 2000 T800 is 8 years old now but still rides wonderfully. I use it to do everything from commuting 7days a week to school/work, riding the foothills and horse trails, grocery shopping, and in the early spring late fall a little light touring up to the national forests. From here on out I will always have a touring bicycle in my posession.

Favorite Ride:   with the T800, all of them...

Purchased At:   private owner

Similar Products Used:   Gary fisher big sir, Trek 520, MTN TEK, Specialized sport, Surly Cross check, Voodoo, Kelin pro comp.

Bike Setup:   all stock but I put on platform pedals, and a 2" bar riser to sit up right a little more. The group comes with mostly "coda" componates, and tiagra, with some cane creek stuff thown in.

Submitted by Randall Benson a Commuter

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2007

Strengths:    I like this bike because it looks great,is very strong and has good stock derailers and great shifters.

Weaknesses:    I can't find ant yet.

Bottom Line:
I bought this T800 about 3 years ago I use it for commuting and I have rode it From Vancouver to Edmonton twice.
I haven't had any problems with this bike I find it to be geared very well touring through the mountains with full front, rear panniers,and all the other stuff.
The only thing I changed on this bike was the seat I replaced the stock seat with Brooks saddle.

Favorite Ride:   Cannondale T800

Purchased At:   Rivervalley cycle

Similar Products Used:   I have toured on a Specialized Sirrus and a Nishiki before.

Submitted by Red Ensign a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2006

Strengths:    A good stiff frame and comfortable geometry. I like the Shimano FlightDeck shifters.

Weaknesses:    Stock tires a bit fat for my taste.
A bit heavy, but no big deal. Reality check, at 205 lb I probably need the sturdier frame!

Bottom Line:
I use this bike daily for my 38 km round-trip commute. It has been a continuously steady ride. I take on an occasional 50 km (one way trip to a buddy's place and it rides well with the stock C-dale rear panniers. The longest so far has been 80 km MS bike tour. With no bags I kept up well with most of the race-boys running Specialised Flakjackets (700x20c.

I have been only happy with this machine!

Purchased At:   River Valley Cycle,

Similar Products Used:   None

Submitted by KidG a Commuter

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2003

Strengths:    Scary smooth; when tuned and oiled up, the only sound you can here is the tires on the road. Soaks up bumps well with Conti Tourings (great, durable tires).

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest road bike, although fairly so, but then again, it's a tank! Don't expect the frame to fail on you, ever.

Bottom Line:
This bike is great. The shifting is much better than the standard setup of my former 2000 ST700 (stolen :( ) The bike is BEAUTIFUL. My ST700 performed commendably on my cross-country trip, although the shock absorber added weight and made climbing hills a pain, especially when I wanted to climb out of my seat. The T800 does not have shocks, and it seems to soak up bumps nearly as well. The derailleurs are also a noticeable upgrade over the older model, much more reliable and smooth. The gear selection is excellent; you won't find a mountain that can't be climbed by just kicking into granny gear and lazing up if you want.

Favorite Ride:   My commute

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale ST700

Bike Setup:   LX front/ XT rear derailleurs, everything standard

Submitted by Carl a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2003

Strengths:    granny gear, strong, lightweight, comes with conti touring tire (very strong)

Weaknesses:    the spokes are too weak, you will have to replace them before any big trip

Bottom Line:
I road this bike from Seattle to New York City and I wouldn't have wanted to do it on anything thing else. It is very strong with a great selection of gears to pick from. Highly recommended for bicycle tour!

Favorite Ride:   Northern Tier

What is the difference between T700, T800, or T900 carbon fiber ?

I've been looking at some carbon fiber frames but I'm not sure what is the difference between T700, T800, or T900 carbon fiber? And I imagine T stands for Tensile? If not what does it sand for? I know of the monocoque frames but is there any other technique involved? ThanksRead More »

Chinese Supplier of T800, T900

Has anyone found truly high end carbon fiber like T800 or T900? All of the places I've found only have lower end T700.Read More »

Cannondale Touring Ultra vs T800/T2

Hello, I was just shown a hybrid MTB/Touring bike called the Touring Ultra (Rohloff) - which looks a European model or something as I have never seen it in the US. The Touring Ultra is [url]http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/07/ce/urban/touring/model-7TS1.html[/url] vs. the T2: [url]http://www.ca ... Read More »

Compare Jamis Aurora to Trek 520 & C'dale T800

Opinions requested on whether it's worth the extra $$$ for the 520 or T800, please. This is for commuting to school in the rain w/ 30-40 lbs. of textbooks, change of clothes & a smelly, moldy lunch. No off-roading whatsoever. I'm familiar w/ Shimano's component levels (Tiagra, 105, etc.). But th ... Read More »