Cervelo P2K 2003 Triathlon Bike

4.75/5 (8 Reviews)
MSRP : $1999.00

Submitted by lou_cutlass a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2005

Strengths:    This bike has great aero and is quite comfortable for such an agressive position. The bang for the buck is unbeatable.

Weaknesses:    I never used the stock saddle on the P2K, but I just put it on my training bike as I built it and I am happy with my decision not to use the stock seat. Only problem is that now i have to buy a seet for the trainer. The seatpost has a bad habit of creaking, too, and though it's easy to tighten the screw, it's a pain to have to do it that often.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike. Stiff and fast. I saw my 40k times drop off dramatically, and my legs have been in much better shape transitioning from the bike to the run. I would recommend it to anyone, but I would suggest taking a look at the gearing as it is a littl more suited for the flats. If you're going to climb, I'd change gearing a little, but only one cog.

Favorite Ride:   Basalt to Reudi Reservoir on Fryingpan River Rd.

Price Paid:    $1999.00

Purchased At:   Inside-Out Sports

Similar Products Used:   Not really any...I was swayed too heavily by the rave reviews I read about the P2K. Looked at the Felt S22 a little, though.

Bike Setup:   Stock with a Koobi Tri saddle. Full Ultegra drivetrain, Cervelo brakes, Dura-Ace bar end shifters, Ritchey DS wheels, and Vredestein Fortezza tires.

Submitted by irusk a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2004

Strengths:    Very aero. Stiff in bottom bracket. Climbs well. Quality manufacture (nice welds). Nice paint and finish.

Weaknesses:    Stock wheels ok for training, but get some race wheels. Saddle is cheapo, upgrade it. Upgrade to new carbon seatpost. Consider different gearing if you ride big hills and your name's not Lance.

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike in the spring after reading many reviews. Got a good deal as it was last year's stock, happened to have one in my size (58cm). I took me a while to get used to the agressive geometry. The head tube is very short (although the bike was built up with 6cm of spacers). I've gradually removed the spacers and hunkered down into a more aero position. Going in a straight line it's a fast and aero ride. Very stiff due to the short and beefy chain and seat stays. climbs reasonably well.

Gearing is pretty high and on courses with tough hills I've often wished for a lower gear or two. I guess that's an easy fix. Short chain stays cause some imprecise shifting and require some feathering of the front derailer when going from small rear cogs to big ones.

Overall I'm very pleased. I plan to upgrade the wheels (the stock Ritchey's on the 2003 model are ok, but hubs are a bit cheap, 2004 model has better wheels), as well as the saddle (the Selle Italia XO is not made for triathlons, hard as a rock). The 2004 models come with a carbon seat post, which I've also ordered. Between the wheels, seatpost and saddle, that should shed some grams. Note, if you're riding one of these with an aluminum post, be sure to pull it all the way out and see if you have some room to trim it. I found I had the max length seat post, but with my position and the minimum insertion length, I could have gotten away with the smallest. That's a lot of uneeded aluminum.

Favorite Ride:   2003 Cervelo P2K

Similar Products Used:   Trek 1400

Bike Setup:   Stock 2003 P2K. 9 spd Ultegra, Ritchey Pro DS wheels, Ritchey Pro stem, Cervelo alum bar and post, Syntace C2 clip ons, Selle Italia XO saddle, Kenda tires.

Submitted by KithKhan a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2004

Strengths:    superb aerodynamics, stiffness, attention to detail, tri geometry allows low aerobars without knees bumping chest, looks, very solid construction

Weaknesses:    harsh ride, cornering feels cumbersome due to geometry and fork rake (not responsive, agile... feels like you really have to push around a turn and the radius is never quite as clean compared to generic road bike... which is a good thing if you're in aero position which is less stable but a bad thing if you're riding it road style on the bars). also, you REALLY have to clamp down hard on the upper seatpost bolt to keep it from creaking.

Bottom Line:
This bike is incredibly aerodynamic, stiff, and responsive. It is through and through bred for speed, which means it sacrifices a lot on comfort in terms of road vibration. But then, I've never ridden anything more solid and rigid feeling, and 100% of your power goes directly to speed. There is the least bb flex of anything I've ever tried.
The tri geometry does indeed seem to help when transitioning to runs compared to my old road-bike. Also, I can use my low aerobars which keep my back parallel to the ground without my knees bumping into my chest with each pedal stroke, so the geometry is great for tri.
It also looks really really good. Oh my.

Favorite Ride:   Bandolier Loop, NM

Purchased At:   online from some LBS

Similar Products Used:   Scattante R-650 steel ultegra road bike
Giant OCR-2 aluminum 105 road bike
Lemond Zurich steel ultegra road bike
and a jot around the parking lot on a lot of other bikes like Aegis AeroSvelte and Cannondale R600

Bike Setup:   Shimano Dura-Ace\Ultegra mix
Shimano R-540 wheels with 700x20mm tires
stock carbon fork and aluminum aero seatpost (the new carbon seatpost on the 2004 is a really good idea)
VisionTech Pro aerobars
Speedplay x-2 pedals
SLR saddle

Submitted by Jason a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2003

Strengths:    This bike is incredible for the price.

Weaknesses:    Ditch the seat a go with a Fizik or a Koobi. The bike is very blue. One water bottle cage but you can add the seat mount bottle holder, so no big deal.

Bottom Line:
Believe the hype. I raced the bike about 2 weeks after I bought it and had my best showing ever. It's comfortable and climbs well for a tt/tri bike. I haven't regreted the decision to go with Cervelo for one minute.

Favorite Ride:   None

Purchased At:   Supergo

Bike Setup:   Stock with Koobi saddle and ITM stem.

Submitted by 2003 state champ a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2003

Strengths:    aerodynamics
fit and finish
aerodynamics
frame material/quality
aerodynamics

Weaknesses:    blue tires that came stock. good tires, but too much blue.

Bottom Line:
This has been a great bike! I always believed it was a lot of bike for the money, and after riding it for 6 months I'm convinced. Fit and finish, and component spec are great at this pricepoint. Unlike one reviewer, mine had 53/39 chainrings as stock. I rode this bike, with a few modifications, for an '03 state tt championship gold medal.

Favorite Ride:   all of them

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Bike Setup:   ultegra f and r derailluers
syntace c2 ultralight aerobars
aspide tri saddle
hed alps front wheel
hed disc rear wheel

Cervelo P2k seat post part

Hello. I managed to strip the triangular aluminum nut thing (don't know what it is called) that sits inside the seat post on my Cervelo P2k tri bike. I have tried to find one on Google and ebay with no luck. Does anyone know where I can find one? What it is called? thanksRead More »

Cervelo P2K DEAL

[url]http://www.insideoutsports.com/product.aspx?storeid=&eventid=0&sku=105554[/url] Saw this posted over on Slowtwitch... 2004 P2K's on sale for $600 -- get them while they're hot... Looking through the site, they also have the Cervelo One on sale for $500. Crazy!! Ordered the P2K, no ... Read More »

Trek Equinox 9 vs Cervelo p2k

The older Trek equinox' before 2005 were a piece of crap. Anybody have an '05 or '06. What do you think. Is it a better bike than the Cervelo p2k. Or is it just worth it to spend the extra money and get a p3sl?Read More »

P2k vs Kg 196 Monoblade

I was thinking about getting a Cervelo P2k, but another option has come by my desk. I have a chance to get a Look KG196 Monoblade, although vintage about 91', and a little hefty, it does appear to be quite aero. Does anybody have any info on the Look kg196 monoblade?Read More »