Rocky Mounts Pitchfork Bike Rack

This easy-to-use quick release system makes loading your bike a snap.

Submitted by Stephen Brault

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2012

Strengths:    Clean look

Weaknesses:    False advertising, it does not fit as advertised

Bottom Line:
Please read the following e-mails

I recently purchased a Euro Pitch fork through Amazon as I had a few Amazon gift cards. This is my 3rd gift Rocky Mount bike rack I have purchased over the last 15 years. There seems to be a few design flaws because if I mounted the rack as instructed, I cannot open my 2007 Mini Cooper hatch without hitting the rack, with or without the end cap. I mounted it using the rear holes in the nose section and if the rack isn’t all the way over to the outside of my factory rack, the hatch still hits the rack. It does not fit a Mini Cooper and you should not advertise it as so. My previous pitchfork I had to purchase the mountain bike attachment and I had to cut the end of the rack several inches so it would not hit the hatch when opened. There is a pattern here, your design team is not doing their homework. That being said, I will not purchase nor recommend your products to any of my teammates. I belong to a bike racing team (60 + members) and the largest tri team in the New England region ( 300+ members).
I’ll get off my soap box now.
Regards,
Steve
Thanks for the email. Sorry you do not like the product. Our Euros are actually our fastest growing product with positive feedback all over the country.

I do want to clear up a couple points though. Design Flaw? While the Mini does seem to be a car with a growing popularity it pales in comparison to other care sales. The reason we designed our racks with added length is to appeal to cyclists. 29ers and thru axels are becoming much more mainstream in the cycling community and the old 43" trays were not long enough to accommodate the wheelbase of these changes. It would seem strange to make a rack that can not accommodate a large market share of bikes and instead appeal to a small market share of cars... right?

While we realize it hits the hatch on some years of the Mini (depending on the spoiler size and crossbar position), we also give you the option of mounting the rack on backwards. This would be the easy solution and solve your issue immediately. With that being said we also understand you might not like the "look". In which case you can cut off a small section of the tray (which you discovered). While inconvenient, it works and will allow you to have the best looking, best priced and most practical fork mount on the market on your Mini. We don't put that in the instructions because we don't want people cutting their trays without some idea of what they are doing.

Lastly we would ask that before bad mouthing our products and small company to look at the rack and remember you are driving a Mini. It is named the Mini because it is a small car. With small cars come unique situations. Throwing out the statement that "we are not doing are homework" is a broad statement for this situation. While we would like every customer we have to love our product we realize that we are going to have some outliers. As a small company trying to compete with the big boys we have to make decisions that appeal to the largest market share so we can keep the lights on.
You can now have your soap box back. Thanks for letting me use it.

Noah

Submitted by Jen_I_Am a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2010

Strengths:    see above

Weaknesses:    none I can think of

Bottom Line:
very sturdy and well-made. used it to take my mountain bike on a long road trip (1037 miles one way- 2074 total) it did not wobble, needed no adjusting and was very sturdy. simple to operate, too. great choice- hauls both mtn and road with ease and looks great, too.

Favorite Ride:   2006 Trek Pilot 5.2