Saris T-Bones 2 Bike Rack

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Saris T-Bones 2 Bike Car Rack. The first and only bike carrier versatile enough to work beyond the car. T-Bones makes it easy to convert your rack into a bike storage system for your home. And when it's on the car, the integrated lock system and adjusta

Submitted by jefferyc a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2010

Strengths:    This rack looks so very cool. Keeps everything off of the paint job of my car. Rock solid at speeds over 80 mph, (don't ask, i won't tell).

The included (and nicely hidden) cable lock makes it very easy to secure the bike while stopping in dicey locations.

Less than two mintues to wrench on the dildo, lock it, and snap the rack on. Mounting the bike is a breeze, and it isn't too hard on the bike finish.

I can still get in the trunk with the bike on the car!!

Weaknesses:    While the Bones rack was infinitely adjustable, there are only a couple of ways to affect height "adjustment" on the T-Bones. While the adjustments are sufficient, i'd like to lower the the bike a touch for aerodynamic reasons.

One of the included locks was busted and required re-assembly.

Bottom Line:
I live in the south and it has been brutally hot and dry this year. So, first off, forget about the "won't come off in the heat" stuff. I'm ready to "THROW COLD WATER ON 'EM!" but have had NO problems yet. Even in the humidity of South Carolina, slow and steady raised the rack.

I find that firm, slow, constant pressure works nicely to slide this rack off of the hitch adapter. Remember to lower the arms first, it is a little easier to balance.

I had no problems assembling the rack, though I wondered if my rubber mallet could have made some parts fit a little tighter.

I don't use the stand to hold my bike, only holds the rack when it isn't on the car. But, I do carry a socket wrench in the backpack for easy removal of the adapter, which I recommend. I've whacked my shins several times when the "dildo" is the only thing on the car. Too easy to forget it is there.

I already own a Saris Bones rack and loved it until i saw the damage it caused to my trunk lid. The Bones was a little noisy on the highway, too. I was always watching the rear-view to determine where the bumps and snaps and cracks came from. The straps vibrated and damaged my clear coat, at almost any speed.

The T-Bones is most of the best of the Bones rack without touching the car!!

Very quiet, very secure, very high tech appearance.

Favorite Ride:   the long wandering kind

Purchased At:   The Bike Rack

Similar Products Used:   Saris Bones

Bike Setup:   litespeed arenberg, mostly campy. cannondale six13, all shimano.

Submitted by Christin a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2009

Strengths:    worked well after it was set up,
racks locks to the car and bikes lock to the rack, holds bike securely while driving at high speeds (on flat ground)

Weaknesses:    didn't 'slide' on and off when it was hot outside,
the stand was kind of cheap and often fell over with just one bike on it (it was a kids bike, so I don't know if that makes a difference), while driving on bumpy roads I would look in the review mirror constantly like a nervous wreck watching my bikes bump up and down like crazy.

Bottom Line:
OK... I haven't seen any reviews for this rack, so I thought I would write one and spare you all the hassle of owning it and going through what I went through...

Let me start off by saying that this is a really cool design, and it would def be a nice rack IF it worked as shown in the video, BUT it doesn't!! Every time the temp would get above the 80s my rack would NOT "slide" on and off the base. In fact, it was very hard to get on and off... and was often stuck for an extended period of time and I could not get into my trunk! Talk about a PAIN!! I actually had the company I ordered it from send out a new receiver part thinking mine was defective... It worked fine for about a week UNTIL the temp went up again. I'm not a scientist, but I'm guessing the plastic expands in the heat???

If you buy this rack and you live anywhere that experiences a humid summer season be prepared to 'fight' with it to get it on and off. I'm talking full body weight leaning on it practically jumping up and down to get it on... and then not even being able to get it off. IT'S MORE OF A WORKOUT THAN RIDING THE BIKE!

I eventually returned it (fully assembled because I could not get it apart) for a new rack. BUMMER!!

Purchased At:   ORS DIRECT

Similar Products Used:   none yet... very soon though!