Saris Thelma 3 Bike Rack

Saris Thelma 3 Bike Carrier, Universal fit 1 1/4 or 2 inch reciever. Weighing in at just 26 pounds, Thelma is the lightest, most easy to use platform hitch-mounted rack ever. Fits wheels up to big 29'ers.

Submitted by Scott a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2011

Strengths:    -Cost - <$350 for a great 3 bike hitch.
-Weight - I take it off the car and hang it high on my garage wall all by myself!
-Hold the bikes with wheels ON! Love this!
- Flips up out of the way when not in use.
- Saris even put a little reflector on the back of the hitch to help with visibility.

Weaknesses:    I have used this on a dozen occasions an have not found any issues. As one reviewer put it the holding straps could be better but this is so minor that I would not mention it.
On my Blue Ridge trip this rack was trusted to hold $15,000 worth of bikes and it did not disappoint me.

Bottom Line:
Great Rack! I have used the heavy weight racks that require 2-3 people to hook up and they work great, until you have to install it by yourself or put it away with no help.
This fits my 1 1/2" hitch but came with an adapter to work on a 2" system.
The first time I used it was a 1200 trek from IL to VA, rode the Blue Ridge Parkway and drove home.
Had zero issues with the rack even with 3 aero frame bikes running at interstate speeds.
I can install the hitch and load 3 bikes in as little as 10 minutes all by myself
I especially like the anti sway hitch pin that came with the unit. It tightens the rack inside the receiver and takes out all the lateral play.
Saris thought of everything here!

Favorite Ride:   any

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Saris Bones and other hitch racks

Bike Setup:   Cervelo SLC-SL, Sram Red, Zipp cranks, bars and stem. DT Swiss 1450 wheels.

Submitted by johnshe a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2009

Strengths:    Lifetime warranty. Relatively rust proof materials used to construct rack. Design and ease of mounting bikes. 3 bike rack fits my 1.25" hitch. Folds up and down very easily by pulling out the removable pin, pivoting the rack up or down and placing the pin back in the hole. The pin happens to be attached to a plastic coated thin metal cable so you can't loose it. Rack seems to be designed by real cyclists, they thought of just about everything.

Weaknesses:    Plastic straps the hold wheels in place can be a bit finicky when loosening them to take the wheels out. You need to push down on a tab while pushing the strap back through the ratcheting mechanism. If these straps ever degrade due to sunlight exposure, I'll replace them with industrial velcro.

Bottom Line:
Great product. Easy to use. Clam shell design makes it easy to mount bikes. Sturdy aluminum powder coated main tubular arms and heavy plastic/aluminum clam shell wheel holders are not likely to rust. Love the lifetime warranty. Perfect for my 4 bike family because my bike will fit in the trunk while the other 3 go on the Saris Thelma. I only have a 1.25" hitch and was limited to the type of carrier I could use and still get all the bikes to the trail or ride. I have a carbon frame road bike which requires that the carrier hold the bike by the wheels. My wife and kids have mountain bikes so I needed a carrier that could fit a 1.25" hitch and hold at least 3 bikes, one being a carbon framed road bike. This was the only carrier I could find that would meet my needs. 90% of the time the carrier is used for my road bike. For the few times I need to haul all four bikes I remove the wheels from the road bike and put it in the trunk of my Honda Accord.

Favorite Ride:   TOMRV

Bike Setup:   Carbon fiber road frame and standard mountain bikes.