Home | Reviews | GPS | Garmin

Garmin Edge 500 GPS

3.17/5 (18 Reviews)

Sharpen your cycling performance with the GPS-based Edge 500 Bundle, a lightweight cycling computer for performance-driven cyclists that attaches easily to the stem or handlebars of your bike.

Submitted by Tony

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2015

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Charger USB unit cooked 2 before I realised where the problem was. Have never had successful outing with this. Difficult to use. Battery goes flat on a ride after charging to 100%. Forget it for an all dayer. Not intuitive menu system.

Bottom Line:
Expensive piece of junk. Sometimes works. I had to have the unit replaced twice under warranty. You can buy this unit for $200 now although I dont think it is worth that. I am going to bin mine and look for something else.

Favorite Ride:   Focus Izalco Max

Similar Products Used:   Cateye
Echowell
Niterider

Bike Setup:   Custom steel commuter
Custom steel Grand Fondo.
Trek Madone 5.2
Focus Izalco Max 1.0
Giant MTB
Salsa Vaya tourer

Submitted by Don Bennett

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2014

Strengths:    Fitted the handlebars well

Weaknesses:    Everything else

Bottom Line:
This is a piece of expensive crap. I don't reckon I have finished a single session without something going wrong. Initially it was not downloading accurately, changjng dates and times. Then it was difficult to power up. Then it would stop recording certain functions. Lately it has stopped recording distance and every 5 minutes it tell me that it is powering down and switches itself off. It then takes about 2/3 minutes before it will allow me to start it again. 5 minutes later switches itself off. For the last two days I have been trying to speak with their support line but it is always busy and I am in a queue. 10/15 minutes later I am still I a queue! This is one useless piece of crap and belongs in the bin.

Submitted by Sknyski

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2013

Strengths:    Smaller size

Weaknesses:    Corruptable files
Training Center no longer supported
Intermittent operation
HR function doesn't always work
Calorie count is nowhere close to accurate in comparison to bonehead calculations

Bottom Line:
Lots of touted features, but this is the most buggy and unreliable bike computer I've ever used. It's like Garmin stuffed more features than a unit this size could handle. Sort of reminds me of an MS Windows OS - crash here, crash there, corrupt files/operation, etc. Garmin software Training Center also is no longer supported, Garmin tech support gave me some really lame excuse for discontinuing this program. When another product comes on the market with similar capabilities THAT WORK, I'll junk this unit in a heartbeat.

Submitted by ajc

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2012

Strengths:    Works sometimes.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't work most of the time. My edge started out ok but has been getting harder and harder to connect with my computer. I try every reset type trick there is and it just sucks. Also the water resistant window plug for the mini usb port is pretty useless after the first week when if falls off your crappy expensive cyclometer.

Bottom Line:
I've had cheaper computers that worked way better. The only thing this has going for it is connectivity to sites like garmin connect or strava. As it is mine wont connect to either of those so my summary is that I'm frustrated and dissapointed with the unit. Wasted so much time trying to make adjustments that would help it communicate.

Submitted by AFrizzledFry a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2012

Strengths:    Very user friendly, customization.

Weaknesses:    Glitchy. Poor product support. After 15 months of use, my Garmin Edge 500 began to freeze and/or power down secondary to vibrations/large bumps. Since the Garmin warranty is only valid for 1 year from date of purchase, I then was asked to pay another $90 as a service charge to have it repaired.

Bottom Line:
Great when it works, but mine stopped functioning after only 15 months.