Blackburn Mars 1.1 Rear Lights

The Mars 1.1 rear light will help you become a safer rider by increasing chance of being seen day or night. 3 super-bright red LEDs with the help of light pipes enhances visibility from both rear and sides.

Submitted by Chester County Joe

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2013

Strengths:    Very good brightness, Runs on AAA batteries, Easy to operate, Stays in place, Water-resistant.

Weaknesses:    2 light modes only (compared against 3 from other products), Non-adjustable angle, No amber light.

Bottom Line:
I have owned this for 2 years and until now it's been operating without any hitches. The switch has that tactile feeling and an audible click that lets the user know that it has engaged, turning itself either on, flashing or off. I have used this on a very nasty August downpour back in 2012 (got caught 7 miles away from my destination with rain coming down at a rate of 2 inches/hr). To my pleasant surprise, it's still working by the time I got to my stop. What I like about this is that it runs on AAA batteries which I can always change myself. And it sips on battery juice! I haven't changed my first set which I use 3x/week at about 2 hours/day. It's very bright. I can see it clearly even from 50 yards (46 m) away.

The main downside of this product is its inability for its angle to be adjusted.

This product is recommended, although there are other choices available that have better features at roughly the same price point.