Blackburn Mars 4.0 Lights

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

The Mars 4.0 is Blackburns most powerful tail light, featuring a 1 watt ultra bright red LED and 2 amber side LEDs for enhanced visibility. 1 Watt ultra bright red LED 2 Amber side LEDs 50 hours runtime(stead), 150 hours...

Submitted by froze a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2012

Strengths:    Very bright red light from rear, and very visible amber side lighting. Plastic housing and bracket is made better then some I've seen.

Weaknesses:    Battery life. According to Blackburn the Mars 4 will run up to 150 hours on blink mode and 50 on steady, but I use it only on steady mode unless I'm using it during the day then I put it on blink. On steady with alkaline batteries it last about about 8 hours on steady with rechargeables lasting about 7. I keep a spare set of AAA batteries in my seat bag so it's not a big deal, and I recharge my batteries after every use. I would assume you would probably get 50 hours in flashing mode. I wish they would have used AA batteries instead of AAA's; but even with that negative being more visible to me is more important then battery life. Battery life is the only reason I gave it a 4 star rating in the overall category. But I feel for some the battery life could be deal killer, so I felt you all needed to know that one issue.

Bottom Line:
The Mars 4 was significantly brighter then the 1/2 watt SuperFlash. In addition to the Mars 4 not only being brighter from the rear but it was also far more brighter from the sides due to amber side markers that have their own 1/2 watt LED on each side. Side illumination in my opinion is important, and a lot of lights today cannot be seen well if at all from the side like the 1 watt SuperFlash or the Radbot that are virtually invisible to the sides. The Mars 4 is also built of heavier and stronger plastic then lights like the Super Flash or the Portland Radbot.

I combine this rear light with bar end lights, these are on flashing mode; and with a helmet light also on flashing mode. Being seen at night is extremely important, if you want to be seen from a greater distance the Mars 4 is one of two top choices for the price. You would have to spend about $70 more to get a better light.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere the wind blows

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Planet Bike SuperFlash Turbo, Cateye LD600 (very good light even 90 degrees off angle), old Vistalite Xenon Flasher (won't die), Soma Road Flare bar end lights (very intense bightness).

Bike Setup:   I keep the lights on a 85 Schwinn LeTour Luxe used for touring and night riding.

Submitted by Aaron Twigg a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2011

Strengths:    BRIGHT couldnt miss it and price

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest light the bracket is where they could inprove that the most

Bottom Line:
Wow This light is amazingly bright i nearly burnt my retna when i turned it on and looked into it. The 1 watt led is as bright as the sun and even when on static you could find your way out of the forrest with it.
The Bracket for the seat post does require a screw driver to adjust even though is says no tool required on the box. The Amber Side leds are ok but on the seat post they would be covered up on every pedal stroke but still they to are bright. But what i was after was delivered. That was a bright light that would allow me to be seen day or night! And this light certianly delivers that. and for the price it is amazingly cheap for aussie standards.

Favorite Ride:   Beach Rd