Light & Motion Vis 180 Lights

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Light and Motion's Vis 180 delivers an SUV sized output from a compact lightweight package. At 10 times the light of the most powerful AA tail lights, combined with brilliant amber side lights, the Vis 180 lets the cars know you belong on the road too. With a tool-less mount, locking mount clip for frame or bag, and convenient cell phone micro USB charging, you will never go back to a blinkie again.

Submitted by RRRoubaix a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2013

Strengths:    Solid, well-made.

Weaknesses:    Rubber attach strap, hard to turn on/off w/ gloves.

Bottom Line:
I really like this light- it works well, it's rock solid and will give years of good use. I like the amount of light it puts out and the options it gives.
I wish the attaching system was different- I have to take my lights off when I lock up my commuter, and I fear that the strap will break from the constant tugging.
Another minor gripe- for winter commutes, I have to remove my gloves to turn it on or off.

Similar Products Used:   Planet Bike, Knog.

Submitted by Froze a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2013

Strengths:    Extremely bright, ruggedly made.

Weaknesses:    No user replaceable rechargeable battery pack. Rubber band strap used to mount it to a seat post is questionable in longevity, but I have another product that uses the same type of straps and after 3 years it's fine, but I don't like the idea of a rubber band strap.

Bottom Line:
I researched a bunch of tail lights sold in America and settled on this one and I'm glad I did. The unit is solidly built, I accidentally failed to close the clip when I put on my seat bag strap and it bounced off at 20 mph and hit concrete. I heard it hit which alerted me that something came off my bike so I turned around to see my light laying on the road, upon close examination it didn't have even a scratch on it and it still worked.

Speaking of working this light is incredibly bright, it has the appearance in the daytime of a emergency roadside flare! At night it's even more startling. It has a claimed 50 lumens but it seems brighter than that, it casts a red light glow onto the pavement and walls of buildings as you go by at night for superior side lighting effect, but Light and Motion added a amber side lights that flash no matter what mode you're in. It has a pulse flash instead of a on and off flash so that the light never goes completely out like other lights, Light and Motion claims this is better but I have no way to prove that. It has 4 modes: high steady that will burn for 4 hours, high pulse that will run for 6 hours, low pulse that will run for 12 hours, and a pace mode that will run for 20 hours but that is just using the amber side lights not the main red lights so as not to blind riders behind you. I did find out shortly after getting it that the steady mode is a bit brighter level of light then the high pulse mode gets at it's peak. This light made my Planet Bike Turbo Super Flash look dim!

It comes with a charger of course, and a easy to use mounting bracket that uses a rubber strap to adjust to any size seat post, or simply use the clip and fasten it to a seat bag loop like I do.

It uses USB charging that only takes about 2 hours to fully charge from dead, and the light itself has a small green indicator that tells you the state of charge while charging and using. Some people don't like USB only charging but you can buy at Walmart a 110 and a car 12v converter that plugs into the outlet and has a USB port on the other side, and they cost under $10 then you use a regular house outlet or your car to charge it.

The light did come in two different colors, bronze and white, (there use to be a platinum not sure it's made any more).

For the money this is hands down the best tail light on the market.

Even though there are a couple of weaknesses, they don't affect me so I rated it 5 stars all the way because the lights strengths far outweigh the pity little weaknesses.

Favorite Ride:   Any where the wind blows

Purchased At:   Fort Wayne Outfitter

Similar Products Used:   VistaLite Xenon Flasher, Cateye LD600; Soma Road Flares; BLT; Planet Bike Super Flash Turbo.

Bike Setup:   I move it from bike to bike as needed.

Lezyne Micro drive tail light vs the Light & Motion Vis 180

By some slim chance has anyone ever seen these two lights side by side? If so what was your thoughts?Read More »

Tail Light Review: Light & Motion Vis 180 Micro

I picked up a [URL="http://www.lightandmotion.com/bike/vis180micro.html"]Light & Motion Vis 180 Micro[/URL] a couple months ago and with a few months of use I have to say that I'm pretty happy with it. My typical light set up is a Schmidt Edelux (bars) and a L & M Sol Lite 150 (helmet) for the front ... Read More »