NiteRider MiNewt 200 LED Lights

The third generation MiNewt receives a new name and power boost of 30% in 2010, increasing light output to 200 measured lumens! The best part of the...

Submitted by Trevor Giles a Commuter

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2012

Strengths:    Well focused beam, compact and ligtht weight. USB charging is nice-more charging options.

Weaknesses:    I wish the battery were bigger/more capacity. It is a rubber band mount and not a secure as a clamp. I have to adjust it occasionally. It tends to slip more when the salt spray gets into the mix.

Bottom Line:
I commute in the mountains of Colorado year round and on the road by 5:30am. I tried most of the less expensive lights-mostly l.e.d. and was never satisfied. I thought I could be seen but a snow plow narrowly missed me and I decided it was time to get a light that was more than a be seen light. I tried an older niterider 15w halogen and the batteries would die after 15-20 minutes in the near zero temps. I finally tried the Minewt 200. It is actually bright enough to not be washed out by the street lamps or oncoming headlights. It is much brighter than a 1 watt l.e.d. or a 5 l.e.d. light. The rated life on high is about 2 hours and at 10 degrees F I get about 1.5 hours. I use medium in the mornings and flash on the way home and that will last the week for my 30 minute commute. I have had a few people stop and comment on how bright my light is. The beam pattern is well focused and I see far enough ahead that I can see/avoid obstuctions at 16-20 mph. 200 lumens would not be enough for trail riding. Adding a second one to a helmet might be enough but for roads this is all this commuter needs.

Favorite Ride:   Lake Dillon or Keystone Westridge

Purchased At:   perofrmance bike

Similar Products Used:   nashbar 5 l.e.d, nashbar 1 watt l.e.d., niterider 15w halogen, various other lights under $35.

Bike Setup:   Winter Motobecane full suspension XTR MTB with Nokian W106 studded snow tires
Summer specialized ultrega equipped Allez