Kryptonite Evo-2000 U Lock Locks

3.5/5 (8 Reviews)

Constructed from high-tempered steel.

Submitted by todibble a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2004

Strengths:    looks secure...

Weaknesses:    can be breeched/opened with only a standard ball-point pen

Bottom Line:
I work at a bike shop. Today i heard a rumor that the lock could be opened using only a ball point pen...i tried it. After 5 minutes of fumbling, it opened with no problem...not sure i want to be selling this product anymore.

Favorite Ride:   lots of them

Submitted by silversurfer a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2004

Strengths:    Good tough lock, great reputation. Bought one way back and will buy again. Never had to use the warranty and hope I never will.

Weaknesses:    The bracket is very tight. Design could have been a little more convenient like the days before. Doesn't really concern me since I have no room for it on my bike. Rather be carrying it in my backpack instead.

Bottom Line:
Just bought the lock online at docssurpluscity@doorknobking.com for 28.45 (that includes the 6.95 s/h)

Favorite Ride:   Klein Aura XV

Purchased At:   Village Cycle Center

Bike Setup:   Klein Aura XV

Submitted by Garrett Thompson a Recreational Rider from Davis, CA

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2001

Strengths:    Backed by anti-theft guarantee, but they have not replied to me yet.

Weaknesses:    Locking mechanism failed.

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike lock to protect my bike at college. Well after only four weeks of daily use, the lock stopped to lock. Since I couldn't afford to buy a new one, I had to only use my cable lock for awhile while I was returning the lock. Well guess what... The bike got stolen. Thank you Kryptonite

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Had Specialized Hardrock

Submitted by Philp a Commuter from San Diego

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2001

Strengths:    It works.

Weaknesses:    After a theft attempt, it is expensive to replace.

Bottom Line:
I think the model of my lock is actually a gorgon. It definitely works against bolt cutters. Someone tried to steal my bike and were foiled by this lock combined with a cycle-pro cable through the front tire. They got through the first two layers of the kryptonite, but couldn't get through the inner steel cable. They also attempted to cut through the cycle-pro, but barely made a dent. I would recommend this lock for a medium crime area, but make sure to combine it with a cable. It saved my bike. I am just bummed I have to go out and buy a new lock now.

Purchased At:   mountain bike warehouse

Similar Products Used:   Various U-Locks.

Bike Setup:   GT stock.

Submitted by Pocket Knight a Recreational Rider from Oakland, California, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2001

Strengths:    Design makes it difficult to use jacks or levers to break it open. Comes with 3 keys... one with a built in light for all you night riders. Protective cap over the key hole.

Weaknesses:    Stupid mounting bracket design.

Bottom Line:
The lock is great, but the bracket sucks. Can they make it more inconvenient to use the mounting bracket? The end-user has to use his own knife to cut away the rubber coat to slip on the spline; it would have been just as easy to design a spline to fit over the rubber.

The bracket was too large for my seat tube, but the rubber shim that came with it was too thick. I made my own shim from gasket material. The "short" machine screws still stick out quite far and can catch things, especially if you have a small road saddle.

The alternate mounting location under the top tube is no better. I sizable chunk of the plastic bracket would be sticking straight up along with the screws. No thank you... I'd like to stay a baritone.

I finally gave up and got a 3rd party mounting bracket from Twofish Unlimited. They work great and are much easier to fit. Too bad I am stuck with the mounting spline that I can't remove (can't put back on the rubber I cut off in the first place).

The old mounting bracket for the Krytolok was better, but it could not be used with the newer locks.

Purchased At:   Missing Link Cooperative

Similar Products Used:   Krytolok (old style Kryptonite U-Lock).

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Brava 2001 (stock)