Specialized Big Rapper Lock Locks

2.5/5 (4 Reviews)

The Hardlock Big Rapper has the convenience of a cable lock with the security of a U-Lock in a format long enough to lock 2 bikes at once.

Submitted by Zno2 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2005

Strengths:    not able to cut inside wire due to outer shell forming protective case around it even when some one has cute through the outside i still have my bike so the lock has worked

Weaknesses:    they almost cut mine in half a little more time and i think they would of cut it in half.

Bottom Line:
I always used to carry my bike into the flat, which meant carrying it up a load of stairs, which is not ideal. So the first week when I kept it at the bottom of the stairwell, i walked past it and saw a huge cut in it that looks like it was done with a bolt cutter. I am surprised that they didn't get through all of it. Luckily they only cut through the most of the first layer which has crumpled in on and started squeezing the inside wire so that they can't cut the thin wire inside it, i am not sure whether it is supposed to do this or if mine just did. But if it didn't, I don't think I would have my bike anymore.

Bike Setup:   appolo creed, the gears seem to be damadged now but luckily its not a realy expensive bike and i hope the insurance will pay for it

Submitted by iwolff a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2004

Strengths:    None worth the risk of theft.

Weaknesses:    A very weak lock with a core that cut like butter

Bottom Line:
I had this lock for little over a week before it was cut through like butter. I live in a remarkably safe neighborhood and had my bike on the street for almost a year locked with a U-lock. I got the Bigrapper so that I could lock both my front and back tires.
One morning not long after I switched from the U-lock I found the lock lying on the ground and my bike no where to be seen. The the core of the lock was nothing more than 3 measly yarns of very thin cable. It was as if the thieves saw the lock and new it was an easy mark. I lost a 800 dollar bike. I'm very disappointed that specialized claims that this lock has similar strength to a U-lock. Had I known how weak this lock was, I never would have switched.

Similar Products Used:   Kryptonite U-lock

Bike Setup:   Trek 6000

Submitted by D P a Commuter from UK

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
Sorry Specialized, but i've had to replace my Big Rapper lock with something else (I'm choosing right now, that's why i found this site..) I may just have been unlucky and got one with a defective lock barrel/mechanism, but after being locked it could be opened simply by shaking it. I get the feeling something inside the lock may have broken or worn out. The metal locking barrel that goes in when you turn the key wasn't being 'held in place', and could be shaken back to the 'open' position via vibrations when riding (I first noticed the problem when it sprang open one day while riding to work - it appeared to be locked, but actually wasn't secure), or when simply holding and shaking the lock. I've had it about 2 years, so maybe wear and tear has done it. I thought it might have lasted a bit longer though. To your credit though i remember you have a guarantee with the lock against bike theft.

Favorite Ride:   Cannondale

Purchased At:   UK bikestore

Submitted by Steve a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2003

Strengths:    Tough, Long enough for 2-3 bikes, key doesnt freeze or jam in winter time, comes with 3 keys that have codes on them for re-ordering lost ones

Weaknesses:    Can be a little bulky and heavy, but thats what you get with any lock

Bottom Line:
Good lock!! I live on campus at Michigan State university, so theft is a big problem here. This lock saved me because i caught two jerks trying to steal my full supension specialized enduro from outside a lecture hall. I saw them trying to break it with full size bolt cutters, I chased them away, and the lock is still in great shape. The cutters could only get into the outside braided coating.

Favorite Ride:   Specialized Allez Sport