Chain-L Chain Oil Lube

4.64/5 (22 Reviews)

Chain-L satisfies what we think are the three most important requirements of a chain lubricant: Lubrication, Lubrication, and Lubrication. While properties like external cleanliness may seem important, the fact is that internal wear of the 112 overloaded,

Submitted by Paul W.

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2016

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Too thick, flies off the chain and makes a mess. Instructions say to apply to each link. If you put this much lube on, your chain and bike will be a mess.

Bottom Line:
They say it is good for 1,000 miles. I don't trust it. I'm not going to leave my chain unprotected because some company says its lube is good for 1,000 miles. I bought the bottle, so I'll apply it every 100-120 miles, just like every other lube I've used.
I'll try Dumonde, next.

Submitted by PSC

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2014

Strengths:    None really

Weaknesses:    Really thick with a lot of splatter. Way over priced.

Bottom Line:
I used as directed and still got splatter going onto my chainstay. Strangely when I bought my chainsaw and bought Pro Select Bar and Chain Oil for it, I was shocked that it had the same color, smell and viscosity of Chain L at a fraction of the price($5 for 32oz). Is it the same stuff? I don't know.

Submitted by IanC

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2014

Strengths:    20 years of riding, I have never had this quiet silent chain. I have only ridden 200km on first application with a few light rains and this lube keeps going still. Amazed, best lube.

Weaknesses:    Need to apply sparingly and wipe down after first few rides.

Bottom Line:
Best lube, minimal application. Chain is the most quiet that I have seen compared to other wet, dry, wax lubes.

Submitted by redondoaveb

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2012

Strengths:    Easy to apply. No gunking up components. Really quiets drivetrain.

Bottom Line:

Originally purchased a bottle to lube my freehub. Turned out it was too thin for that application so I put the bottle away as I thought I was sold on another brand of chain lube. The other lube was gunking (is that a word?) up everything and that's when I knew it was time to try something else.

Read some reviews for Chain-L and thought I would give it a try. I removed my chain and thoroughly cleaned it and the pulleys.

After letting the chain dry I set it out in the hot sun along with the bottle of Chain-L. After both of them were nice and warm I laid the chain flat on some newspaper and put a drop on each roller and let it set to soak in. The heat really helps the oil penetrate.

After letting it set for a while I hung it up and let the rest (very little actually) drip off and then wiped off the rest.

To make a long story even longer, this stuff rocks. I wipe my chain after every ride and when the rag goes dry I do another thorough cleaning and re-apply.

Oh yeah, no splatter on seat or chain stays. Everything stays clean.

Submitted by DIRT BOY

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2012

Strengths:    Hands down the best chain lube, period! Lost lasting and will quiet any drivetrain!

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I want to thank fb for the free sample to test out Chain-L lube.

We have had many debates on chain lubes and I for one, basically disliked to hated most store bought chain-lubes I have tried. One reason or another, I just did don't care for them.

I have been using several combinations on how brew chain lubes the last 8 yrs. with GRAT success. Whether its my own concoction, or a dive form engineers, mech, etc in many fields that deal with friction and/or lubrication for a dive and different types of oils.

In January of this year year, I received a sample of Chain-L lube from fb. I was going to purchase to test it myself, but I was given free sample. Being in the industry, I get free samples, cost and what not on a lot of stuff. I will only ride/use what I truly like. Even if it mean s paying full retail. So a small free sample is NOT going to cloud my judgement.

I I cleaned my KMC x-10 SL Gold chain with MS and brake cleaner. The chain had around 2600k miles on it and is still quite and shifting smooth with HB on a KCNC cassette.

I applied chain-l lube to it as per the directions and let it penetrate over night.

as of Today being close to 6 months later and just over 875 miles side adding the lube and NEVER another drop, my chain is still as quite if not more and cleaner than using HB.
My dire train is dead silent, period. shifting is as smooth as ever and the chain is cleaner.

My riding involved rain, sweat, mud, etc over the testing period. I ride by the ocean a lot, so i have to deal with salt air and sand as well, which does effect my chain.

Here is a picture of my chain:

I have to say I a shocked and beyond please at the performance of chain-l lube.
It.s by far and hands down the best chain lube I have ever tired. The thought of paying twice or more than what it costs me to make HB drives me crazy, but the befits and ease of chain maintenance has won me over.

I will be getting more for my personal use as well as bikes I build and spinning bikes I maintain for commercial use.

Just get some Chain-L lube and be done with it folks. Its work every penny IMO!